Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 03:42 PM

145 posts, read 358,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Why do you have to MOVE IN together??

You should not move in together in order to date. You can live separately in the same city and still date.

Perhaps she is looking for a meal ticket. TREAD CAREFULLY!

move together because it will be easier for us, she's doesn't want to live with her mom anymore, I don't want to live where I am anymore, I don't know what you mean by meal ticket, she was going to pay for my plane ticket, but I told her no thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 03:45 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
The colloquialism "meal ticket" is a slang phrase that means someone is using you as a source of income.

You would be her "meal ticket."

I would meet her during this visit in the hotel, but DO NOT move in together until you know each other.

I think she sees you as a way out of her current situation. She is only 18. She will expect you to pay for a lot of her things once she moves here: cell phone, credit cards, vehicle etc.

Moving in together could be a very bad plan for you.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
The colloquialism "meal ticket" is a slang phrase that means someone is using you as a source of income.

You would be her "meal ticket."

I would meet her during this visit in the hotel, but DO NOT move in together until you know each other.

I think she sees you as a way out of her current situation. She is only 18. She will expect you to pay for a lot of her things once she moves here: cell phone, credit cards, vehicle etc.

Moving in together could be a very bad plan for you.

so why was she insisting on paying for my plane ticket after I told her that the reason why I have to wait until a few months is because I'm saving up to pay for it??? So she knows I'm not rich. What other plan do I have? This is my ONLY opportunity I ever had. I'm almost 29. A girl I really like lives in Canada. Should I stay in my room for the rest of my life? I'm not even looking for a girlfriend until now, until 1 who is just like me shows up. This is my only real chance to have a girlfriend. I don't care about the girls in the state I'm currently living in.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:57 PM

Understand this:

Your apparent desperation can put you in a dangerous position. Resist thinking things like, "This is my only chance."

On one hand, you KEEP REPEATING how you never even wanted a girlfriend, then you go on to say she is the ONLY ONE you have found who is JUST like you.

You really are placing entirely too much importance on this person.

Look, you have met someone online with whom you seem to have a LOT in common. That is awesome. Why immediately make this potential relationship a matter of life and death by going from only talking on the phone three times to living together?

She does not have to move in with you. She can move to your town, support herself, live in her own space and get to know you better.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Understand this:

Your apparent desperation can put you in a dangerous position. Resist thinking things like, "This is my only chance."

On one hand, you KEEP REPEATING how you never even wanted a girlfriend, then you go on to say she is the ONLY ONE you have found who is JUST like you.

You really are placing entirely too much importance on this person.

Look, you have met someone online with whom you seem to have a LOT in common. That is awesome. Why immediately make this potential relationship a matter of life and death by going from only talking on the phone three times to living together?

She does not have to move in with you. She can move to your town, support herself, live in her own space and get to know you better.
it's not even desperation, I never wanted a girlfriend in the first place, it's called finally meeting someone just like me, social anxiety, vegetarian, experienced the same kind of abuse as a child, and other things, this is what I call a realistic opportunity, I met my other half is what I feel, only a few exist in this world and she is one of them, maybe I should sleep in the same room with her, I will get to know her even more and I'm not talking about sex... if either of us are going to move to each other's location, it would be easier if we just moved together, 1 person can't do it alone, I was never looking for a girlfriend, she just happens to be the right girl for me, I am not interested in finding girls from this state, I don't really care for girls here. I'm the one who thought about meeting up in the first place since I know for a fact it happens in real life, meeting up even if they are located far.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:07 PM

Certainly you should meet.

You just don't have to commit to each other immediately.

Are you absolutely 100% positive she is 18+?

Old 05-20-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Certainly you should meet.

You just don't have to commit to each other immediately.

Are you absolutely 100% positive she is 18+?
Yes. It's just that if we meet and we like each other, it will be hard to date since we live in different countries. If we move to where the other person lives, it would be easier to move together, it makes sense since it's easier when people move together than just 1 person renting a place.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:29 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:

Perhaps she is looking for a meal ticket. TREAD CAREFULLY!

It almost sounds like a con. Like, the OP's so desperate that he'll share a hotel room with this chick, who will show up with her boyfriend and they'll steal his wallet and laptop.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It almost sounds like a con. Like, the OP's so desperate that he'll share a hotel room with this chick, who will show up with her boyfriend and they'll steal his wallet and laptop.

LOL, not bringing my laptop, and I'm prepared if anybody tries anything stupid like that on me

Old 05-20-2013, 04:50 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Clue: she can't move in with you if she's a Canadian citizen. How's she going to get a residency visa? Max she can stay in the US is a few months. How would she get a job? She's not authorized to work in the US.
Just because you have stuff in common doesn't mean you'll get along, or even that you'd find each other attractive in person. I'd not only stay in separate rooms, if I were you, I'd stay in separate hotels. This doesn't look good.

If you don't like the South, move out of the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships