Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 03:51 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Legally, an engagement is a "contract", and the ring is "consideration" for that contract. If the engagee fails to hold up her end of the bargain (i.e. get married), then the contract is null and void and the ring should be returned to the person that paid for it.

20yrsinBranson
Exactly. This is what any judge would tell you if you go to court.

You don't keep the ring if the wedding doesn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 03:53 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
She broke the engagement, she should give the ring back.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:57 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Whether the ring is $800, $8000 or $800,000, the ring goes back if the engagement is broken off. Like 20yrsinBranson said, it's a contract and the ring is the "consideration". Doesn't matter whose right or wrong or the reason for the break-up, legally, it goes back.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:01 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Give it back to him, especially if you broke it off.

Mario. Just take the L and move along, you play for Buffalo, losing is something you should be accustom to.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:01 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
"mad at" isn't the right word, but i for one never give a gift or loan that i couldn't let go of. of course it's better if it doesn't go that way, but if it does you have to be prepared

i don't really see much of point to having a lot of money if it's not going to help you worry less about money. this guy is lawyering up and it's already gone to press. sounds like a ton of worry, stress and unpleasantness to me. personally i think he'd be better off just walking away, from a quality of life perspective. it's not like he can't still afford a fleet of sports cars or to give a million bucks to charity

for the record, i did exactly this, broke off an engagement, didn't get the ring back, didn't even ask for it. obviously not a million dollar ring though
I would give the ring back no matter who broke it off and no matter the reason it broke off. But yeah people often get "lawyered up" after they are hurt. Some even get "lawyered up" before! lol

I was never one to believe that money can buy love or happiness either.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:03 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I would give the ring back no matter who broke it off and no matter the reason it broke off
yeah but you're not crazy like my ex-finance

also i doubt most gals who pursue professional athletes will let go of $800K without a fight. of course there are exceptions, but many are in it for the money/gifts/lifestyle/etc

Old 05-23-2013, 04:20 PM

6 posts, read 7,998 times
Once you give someone an engagement ring, you should not expect that you'll get it back. If she says no -she won't get the ring. But she said yes then she got the ring. If things didn't work out, its is her choice to give it back or to keep it. Most people would give it back but I would through it away. You should not assume that all will give it back. So don't be stupid buying almost a million dollar engagement ring and hoping to get it back!

Old 05-23-2013, 04:28 PM

580 posts, read 964,919 times
If I found myself in this type of situation, I'd probably let them keep the ring. I know its a symbol of the engagement contract and everything but it's not worth all the hassle trying to get it back.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:27 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
I was engaged twice before I met and married my husband.

The first time I kept the ring. He had been cheating, and it was the third (and final) time that he dumped me and broke my heart. We were six weeks from our wedding date, and my family and I had a lot of cash invested in down payments, I had my gown, etc. I sold the ring and gave the cash to my dad. My ex didn't ask for the ring back, I think he knew better.

The second time I gave the ring back when he and I mutually called it off. We hadn't set a date, so it wasn't all that big of a deal. He wanted me to keep it, but I didn't think it was right to do so. He was a great guy, and fortunately we ended as friends. I went to his wedding a few years later. Yes, really.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:51 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
Give it back. Why waste money to hire a lawyer so you can keep it? You'll just lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships