Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 08:56 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,221,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleShadow View Post
Yeah, it's crazy how women don't want to have sex with someone who isn't intelligent, kind, and interesting.
It's because since so many men used them at first, at some point they learn to wait a while before being physically involved, to be sure that they are with a man who wants them more than just their body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 08:57 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,469,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Man View Post
But wait, I thought men were "visual creatures," from what I've seen on this forum. One of the reasons why I think gender roles make no sense, because nobody can't seem to get their stories about them straight....
This is true, Bob. Men are visual creatures.

I said women are the greater discrimnators of the two sexes. I did not say men don't discriminate.

Let me put it this way. One or more studies have found a random female stranger can approach a man in a bar, offer to give him oral sex, and he is likely (meaning not all men will but most will) to agree. With the rolls reversed it is found almost no woman will ever accept. In fact, she is likely to be highly offended and put off. Point being, men are less discriminating.

The Sexual Selection theory likes to explain this as "Eggs are expensive and sperm is cheap." And there is truth in that. The physical costs of pregnancy are disproportionately borne by the female. There is little to no cost carried by the male.

But one of the key words in "Sexual Selection" is the word "selection." The term "selection" is a key concept in the theory of evolution. Evolution only operates through variation and "selective pressures" like competition for resources or mates. So, I'm sure feminist hate to hear that when they bemoan in injustice of women having to compete against one another for the attention of alpha males.

So, how this might work in real life is 3 women are in a bar, and 2 men approach the women. Of the 3 women 1 is extremely physically attractive, 1 is average, and 1 is "fat." At least 1 if not both of the men will pay eye attention and conversation to the gorgeous woman first and foremost. Selection has already begun (for both the males and females in both directions). And ultimately, if the gorgeous woman chooses (females enjoy the privilege of choice--the exception being alpha males like Rock Stars etc.) 1 of the guys, the other guy will try to persuade 1 of the remaining 2 women to pick him. Likely he will target the average looking woman. However, if she disses him, and the "fat" woman whispers in his ear she'll go back to his place and provide him oral sex, he is likely not going to hesitate to take her up on the offer. He will likely have sex with her in other ways if she is willing too.

But humans are different than other primates and creatures in a number of ways, one of which is culture. And I don't just mean tool culture. Chimps have that to a limited extent. I'm talking culture in other ways that are non-somatic inheritances passed down through teachings and lessons within a population. Like ornamentation, religion, mores within a society. So, you can have an American woman raised in the inner-city that will reject to approaches of a young man studying to be a chemist for a street thug that is a mediocre drug dealer with 2 felonies. Simply, because the latter is held in far higher prestige (and she can brag to her friends--competition between females) in inner-city American culture than the black nerd studying college become a geek chemist (who may later end up working at DuPont for big bucks).

By the way... just for the record. If a lesbian woman selects a female over a male, or if a gay male selects a male over a female, it is in Sexual Selection pure discrimination. But all selection, the whole theory of evolution, is driven in large part through discrimination. There are other things to the theory of evolution too, like fitness (i.e., number of offspring; average gene traits in a population) but that is a different thread and different can of worms. But selection itself is a matter of discriminating against X, Y, Z person. That discrimnation does not have to be "holy" or "right" but can be for purely superficial or cultural reasons, like a guy having a preference for a person with "big breasts" or a penis if he's gay. Aside from physiological functions those are mainly morphological differences. If you can rationalize it is wrong to discriminate in favor of big breasts over small breasts then you can rationalize it is wrong to discriminate in favor of a flat chest and penis over small breasts and a vagina.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:01 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,023,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
I was arguing this with a friend earlier and using it as yet another excuse as to why I'm single, but I think it's the best excuse. It seems like girls like to brag to their friends about what their boyfriend has going for them. In my case I don't really have much going for me, I don't make six figures and have some cool job, I'm not a musician, I'm not a cop or a fighter.

Anyone agree?
I dont agree, but maybe in certain areas of high status areas of the country it would be safe to say women brag abouth their bfs to their girlfriends.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:02 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,469,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Never once has a female friend come to me and bragged about anyone they have dated.

And one friend of mine dated Q. Tarantino.

These women had it all going on for themselves.
Women brag among one another. But so do men. Usually, men brag to other men about their sexual exploits. Of course, these are traits more typical among younger men and women. But it is in youth when most sexual competition for mates occurs.

And I would regard any suggestion it's not typical for young women to brag to one another about their men as simply a flat lie. However, I'll cede stating such lies make one more popular with the opposite sex, so, as the Social Brain theory would suggest it is beneficial for men to be flat out liars. Beneficial for women to be deceptive too.

Honesty is for saints. And few of us are that aren't we?

Old 05-26-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
This is true, Bob. Men are visual creatures.

I said women are the greater discrimnators of the two sexes. I did not say men don't discriminate.]
I swear, I read this before.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:17 AM

39,175 posts, read 27,558,641 times
Nothing wrong with love uplifting someone.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:19 AM

1,839 posts, read 3,064,128 times
With younger girls this may be true. Not most young girls I would think.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:20 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,636,727 times
Do guys like it when a girl brags about him to her girlfriends?

Old 05-26-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Do guys like it when a girl brags about him to her girlfriends?
Meh. Don't care.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:24 AM

1,839 posts, read 3,064,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
I've been around the block more than a few times, monemi, and I've heard all the stories. Like the story you're selling.

I said nothing about the 1950s either. Simple fact is women are the greatest discriminators of the two sexes. Men generally will sleep with a fat woman or date a 30 year old woman working at a fast food restaurant living with her parents.

As I said... the life sciences teach this in lectures on Sexual Selection.

This is not limited to humans. The same can be found among other primates like the Silverback Gorilla with it's harem.

The reality is the opposite of what most people think, if science is to be believed, females as a rule of thumb "have it easier" acquiring mates. People think males do just like they thought the sun revolved around the earth.

According to Sexual Selection (if the theory is correct) I should expect females to unite together in disagreement with me and one or more males to oppose me. Males fight each other while females "**** block" and promote other females to discriminate against other males. Humans are more sophisticated than than apes, and according the the Social Brain theory, we are wired to be deceptive towards one another for competition. Ergo, I expect to hear all the "good" and "benevolent" reasons women discriminate contra all the "bad" and "selfish" reasons men do it for.

In the end I think we all are liars and self motivated.

Maybe being a liar is good from an evolutionary stand point? I dunno. It seems to help lots of men get laid [shrug].

But from my observation I would say females tend to like to brag to one another about then romantic interest in their life (if its a male anyways). I think this has more to do with females competing with one another.

By the way... plenty of cultures have no beef with unmarried 35 year old men living with their parents. Before the Industrial Revolution it was quite common. It's still done to some extent in Italy and in parts of the Arab world it is the norm and culturally expect. Your prejudice against is no more divine than prejudice against homosexuality. Both of which have been tied to character issues.

From a stand point of biology, at the molecular and cellular level, I would say all people are "miracles" and in that sense "kings" and "queens." Everything else is just social and cultural things we make value judgments about.

My opinion anyways.
Yes, women are generally more selective than men, this is where the "men will fu*k anything" theory comes from.
Prejudice against homosexuality is a character flaw? (I am not) I think it's a religious thing. All of this is for another thread though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships