Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 03:34 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Does that surprise you? That's still significantly higher than minimum wage, even in New York.
It's partially incorrect--it's not surprising. People also need to understand that there are different descriptions for custodians and janitors or housekeepers. Why are so many people assuming that those are minimum wage jobs? That website is pulling its information based on key words found in job descriptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 03:39 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,918,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
It's partially incorrect--it's not surprising. People also need to understand that there are different descriptions for custodians and janitors or housekeepers.
Of course. That's true of most job titles/categories, and I don't think anyone would dispute that.

Quote:
Why are so many people assuming that those are minimum wage jobs?
Well...Unfortunately LOTS of jobs are minimum wage, and they tend to be the ones requiring the least skill. Let's face it, it doesn't get much less skilled than cleaning toilets. When an unskilled job is paying 10 bucks an hour ($20K/yr.) when minimum wage is only $7.25, I tend to think, "Hey, that's more than I expected," rather than questioning how it could possibly be so low.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:49 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Of course. That's true of most job titles/categories, and I don't think anyone would dispute that.

Well...Unfortunately LOTS of jobs are minimum wage, and they tend to be the ones requiring the least skill. Let's face it, it doesn't get much less skilled than cleaning toilets. When an unskilled job is paying 10 bucks an hour ($20K/yr.) when minimum wage is only $7.25, I tend to think, "Hey, that's more than I expected," rather than questioning how it could possibly be so low.
Oh yes, I absolutely agree there but for this type of occupation, the salary depends on location and on the company. Janitorial/maintenance workers in schools and hospitals make above minimum wage. Custodians can make upwards of $100K (after a certain amount of time) but they keep the school or hospitals running.

I work for a bank. When I first started almost 20 years ago, I was making $16,000 a year, fulltime, before taxes. The big joke in our house was my dad made more money than me and I was responsible for people's money LOL

Old 05-30-2013, 03:58 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,448,612 times
This thread is reminding me of the scene in "The Breakfast Club" where the janitor is telling the kids he's the eyes and ears of the school and that he goes through their lockers, reads their notes, etc and knows everything that goes on there.

My dad briefly worked as a garbage man. It didn't make me think any less of him. It does still go back to the ambition/ability to me and more than that, lifestyle. I have things I still want to do in life and want/need a partner who is interested and capable of doing them with me.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:01 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,918,914 times
Quote:
Custodians can make upwards of $100K (after a certain amount of time) but they keep the school or hospitals running.
Yeah, at that point it's more of a management position. I doubt that person even touches a toilet brush in most cases.

Quote:
When I first started almost 20 years ago, I was making $16,000 a year, fulltime, before taxes. The big joke in our house was my dad made more money than me and I was responsible for people's money LOL
I know what you mean. I used to work at banks in college and made way less than my friends thought. I actually quit to work at a convenience store because it paid the same and was way less stressful. You had to be VP-level or at least a high-ranking loan officer of some sort to make decent pay at the banks where I worked.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:19 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
I have a friend who cleans houses with her friend for a living. They don't make a whole lot of money, but they make ends meet. As a bonus, they make their own schedules and don't really answer to anyone. Nothing wrong with a that.

Neither of them have a hard time getting dates.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:23 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
I'm going to guess that janitorial workers who work in high security areas probably make higher wages than average janitorial workers -- presumably if even the people who clean the toilets and restock the toilet paper need to have a security clearance and extensive background check, the pay might be higher? (I'm picturing companies with high level R&D, pharmaceuticals, tech, aerospace, etc). I imagine there's probably also higher pay for folks who have to clean up biohazards, like an operating room. Anyone know?

I also think it's interesting how the thread has diverged into discussion of more managerial custodial positions. My initial reading of the OP was that the hypothetical person being described spent at least 80% of their work hours actively cleaning toilets, and that it was their primary job role. (the emphasis on the fact that they'd shower and wouldn't smell like a toilet when they came home is what gave me this impression). Quite a difference between the two.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:33 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,624,283 times
My father worked his way up from starting off as a janitor, then working maintenance, then construction and now he owns his own construction firm. So do not blow off someone because of their occupation. See where their ambition lies and what kind of goals they set for themselves, even at any age.

Of course now my dad has forgotten all about his working class roots and is a major Republican typical business type, LOL. So it should also be your job to be keep him humble.

But never underestimate someone because of the job they do. It's also within the last 40 years that jobs have lost their dignity. Before, with the advent of unions, it seemed like any unionized position was admired because of the high pay and the relative degree to which had a say in the firm. I would rather clean toilets as a unionized man knowing my pay and control over my job goes higher with each passing year rather than being an Excel monkey at some office making a good salary but with no control over my work, little job security, and waiting a while to gain more experience to leave and seek higher pay with a different firm!

Old 05-30-2013, 04:51 PM

732 posts, read 1,045,234 times
The truth about janitors huh? Well, it seems like I'm the only janitor on this thread, so I'll give you my expert, real-life lowdown.

I'm in my 50's and make good money. What's more, I have excellent work benefits, including comprehensive health insurance, 2 pensions provided by my employer, (one state, one municipal) and all the other perks such as vacation, personal days, sick days, workman's comp. etc. All in all, my benefits are better than my professional ex-wife's benefits when she worked at Sprint.

I do clean toilets, dump trash, mop floors but work duties also include operating power equipment such as buffers, snow blowers, floor riders, hydraulic lifts and more. Sometimes the work is involved and somewhat dangerous, other times, it's strictly routine and mundane. No matter the task though, I always work hard and am diligent about doing a good job.

Good responsible janitors are hard to find and can be paid well, as they should be. After all, what is more important than a clean, sanitized and well-maintained building? No matter where people work, don't they all want to work in safe, sanitary surroundings?

As far as intelligence and ambition, most janitors I know are certainly not lacking in either. Please don't stereotype. I have known some "dumb" janitors but I've also known dummies in other fields. Just because someone has an advanced degree and makes a big salary does not make them a fountain of knowledge. My ex-wife had a master's degree and worked in engineering but she couldn't have told you anything about politics, world affairs or the ancient Greeks. Not too many of her peers could either. As far as ambition, my job keeps me fit, healthy and happy and will continue to do so. Sounds like a fine ambition to me. Ambition does not always equate to a pursuit of money, status and power.

Even though it may come as a surprise to some, janitors do marry and even, gasp, have families as well. In my 20 years in the field, I've known many janitors that are happily married to people outside of their occupational sphere. I was married 12 years to a highly educated woman who made three times my salary. We had our differences but she never once looked down on me or expressed embarrassment about having a janitor as a husband.

It may surprise some to know that real love often isn't qualified. It's not always based on "I'll love you if you have a certain level of education, ambition or potential." Some people are actually capable of looking past a person's job and looking at the whole picture.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:02 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
The truth about janitors huh? Well, it seems like I'm the only janitor on this thread, so I'll give you my expert, real-life lowdown.

I'm in my 50's and make good money. What's more, I have excellent work benefits, including comprehensive health insurance, 2 pensions provided by my employer, (one state, one municipal) and all the other perks such as vacation, personal days, sick days, workman's comp. etc. All in all, my benefits are better than my professional ex-wife's benefits when she worked at Sprint.

I do clean toilets, dump trash, mop floors but work duties also include operating power equipment such as buffers, snow blowers, floor riders, hydraulic lifts and more. Sometimes the work is involved and somewhat dangerous, other times, it's strictly routine and mundane. No matter the task though, I always work hard and am diligent about doing a good job.

Good responsible janitors are hard to find and can be paid well, as they should be. After all, what is more important than a clean, sanitized and well-maintained building? No matter where people work, don't they all want to work in safe, sanitary surroundings?

As far as intelligence and ambition, most janitors I know are certainly not lacking in either. Please don't stereotype. I have known some "dumb" janitors but I've also known dummies in other fields. Just because someone has an advanced degree and makes a big salary does not make them a fountain of knowledge. My ex-wife had a master's degree and worked in engineering but she couldn't have told you anything about politics, world affairs or the ancient Greeks. Not too many of her peers could either. As far as ambition, my job keeps me fit, healthy and happy and will continue to do so. Sounds like a fine ambition to me. Ambition does not always equate to a pursuit of money, status and power.

Even though it may come as a surprise to some, janitors do marry and even, gasp, have families as well. In my 20 years in the field, I've known many janitors that are happily married to people outside of their occupational sphere. I was married 12 years to a highly educated woman who made three times my salary. We had our differences but she never once looked down on me or expressed embarrassment about having a janitor as a husband.

It may surprise some to know that real love often isn't qualified. It's not always based on "I'll love you if you have a certain level of education, ambition or potential." Some people are actually capable of looking past a person's job and looking at the whole picture.
Good post

I agree too with the engineering field. I'm in a tech business and I do see a lot of techie types that aren't that well rounded....

I think it comes down to life experiences and what are the priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships