Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 12:35 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Again, that's all well and good. But marriages are a partnership - a team effort. Especially once kids enter the picture.

When one member of the team is "down for the count", for whatever reason, it's good to know the other member of the team can carry the load for a while.

Having someone to share all your burdens with (including financial) is one of the perks of marriage
All that can be accomplished on a teacher's salary by planning ahead and choosing a low maintenance lifestyle.

It's not like he's planning on a career as a Walmart greeter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 12:35 PM

52,258 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Wouldn't logic dictate that there are several variables to this question???? Every one has differing ideas of decent salary. Location plays into it, lifestyle you want to have.....etc etc....

Old 05-31-2013, 12:39 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,754,605 times
Oh and i also agree on partnership. We are no longer living the times that our parents parents were living. Where a weman can just stay home and men work, unless your rich.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:40 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post
I want to earn enough to support myself comfortably and for my SO to be in the same position that way there is no financial strain on a specific partner, also the combined salaries would allow us to live without financial worries.
That's a great goal

Sometimes life deals you unexpected hands, so it's good to have as solid of a foundation as possible.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Oh and i also agree on partnership. We are no longer living the times that our parents parents were living. Where a weman can just stay home and men work, unless your rich.
I can't quite agree.

You don't have to be "rich" to have one parent stay at home - not at all.

You DO have to have a good plan in place, learn to live within your means, and know how to compromise.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:42 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
What kind of woman do you think you will want for a wife someday?

Do you want a woman who is going to be a sahm or one that has a career? Do you want a wife that will do the majority of the childcare/house chores or will you share those jobs?
I don't want to marry someone who will be a sahm since I prefer to marry someone who shares the responsibility of earning income alongside me. I also don't mind helping to raise a child and don't just want to be my future wife's responsibility. Alongside that, I was raised by a single mother for some time so I'm used to doing chores to help around the house and I don't view it as the wife's responsibility either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Now that's the kind of answer I like!

When I was in school rates were low like that, and I did the same thing . Invested the money elsewhere, at a good profit. My understanding was that student loans have changed a lot since then -- not only rates, but terms of the loans.
In what ways did you invest your money? No one in my family did any investing, so I'm not familiar with it, but I do want to be able to grow my net worth while I'm paying down my student loans which will be payed off in ten years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
OP: if you love teaching, have you considered at all teaching as a professor, at the college level? (I think I had heard somewhere a while back that professors earn significantly larger salaries, than K-12 teachers?)
I have since I considered getting my Ph.D at one point, but it probably wouldn't be worth it unless I knew I had a straight path into a research position, but also because it's hard for professors to become tenured. I should be able to teach adjunct once I have 18 credits past my masters at the university level and earn about 15+, but as of right now, my focus is paying down my debt before I take on more courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Decent income = we will not be overly stressed about money.

If we have children, we will be able to fund a college account for each. We can afford to fix the car when it breaks without having to pick and choose repairs to put off. If the roof starts leaking, we can fix it without pulling from savings/retirement accounts. We can easily afford plane tickets to visit our parents in other states. 1 or 2 nice vacations a year. The money to do modest hobbies (I train my dog in competitive agility, he plays on a hockey team and is in a bowling league).

I don't think it's a number--it more depends on your lifestyle.
I would like for my life to be like that ideally if I ever get married. Growing up, money was somewhat always a point of concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Where do you live OP?

Anyway there are women who will marry a teacher. Lots of them. What you want is a woman who is okay with not being in the higher end of middle class unless she pulls in the cash herself. Also lots of women were raised in "regular" households, and would be perfectly happy continuing that lifestyle. Just be sure you show can manage the money you do have.

Also you might move up in salary down the line by moving into the administrative side of teaching.
I live in Virginia. The cost of living is very high in northern Virginia. I do want to teach there someday, but I know it would be very hard as a teacher to buy a home some the values are increasing in that area.I've considered administration, but I don't think I have the personality for it.

Quote:
Exactly. You can plan and plan, but sometimes things like a "surprise" 3rd baby make things complicated.

Smart women just want to know their partners are going to be able to carry the financial load for a while if they need to stay home with small children - which is why some look for guys who make a "decent salary".
Part of the reason I choose teaching was that I know that it's a very family friendly profession so I could be home at a certain time and not have to worry about being called into work in the evening so I could spend time with my family and also because I know that I would be able to take leave if I ever had a child and my future wife isn't able to do so.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Wouldn't logic dictate that there are several variables to this question???? Every one has differing ideas of decent salary. Location plays into it, lifestyle you want to have.....etc etc....
Yep, that's what several of us said at the beginning of the thread - "decent salary" is all relative

Old 05-31-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
I don't want to marry someone who will be a sahm since I prefer to marry someone who shares the responsibility of earning income alongside me. I also don't mind helping to raise a child and don't just want to be my future wife's responsibility. Alongside that, I was raised by a single mother for some time so I'm used to doing chores to help around the house and I don't view it as the wife's responsibility either.

In what ways did you invest your money? No one in my family did any investing, so I'm not familiar with it, but I do want to be able to grow my net worth while I'm paying down my student loans which will be payed off in ten years.

I have since I considered getting my Ph.D at one point, but it probably wouldn't be worth it unless I knew I had a straight path into a research position, but also because it's hard for professors to become tenured. I should be able to teach adjunct once I have 18 credits past my masters at the university level and earn about 15+, but as of right now, my focus is paying down my debt before I take on more courses.

I would like for my life to be like that ideally if I ever get married. Growing up, money was somewhat always a point of concern

I live in Virginia. The cost of living is very high in northern Virginia. I do want to teach there someday, but I know it would be very hard as a teacher to buy a home some the values are increasing in that area.I've considered administration, but I don't think I have the personality for it.

Part of the reason I choose teaching was that I know that it's a very family friendly profession so I could be home at a certain time and not have to worry about being called into work in the evening so I could spend time with my family and also because I know that I would be able to take leave if I ever had a child and my future wife isn't able to do so.
Two points...

consider moving to southern or southwest Virginia - MUCH better cost of living

Realize that many male teachers (and some female!) end up taking summer or second jobs to make ends meet. This means they often do end up "working evenings"l

Old 05-31-2013, 12:47 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
i'm not marrying a woman who wants to be a stay at home mom.

That's pretty much the end of this discussion for me.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:58 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,638 times
Quote:
Again, that's all well and good. But marriages are a partnership - a team effort. Especially once kids enter the picture.

When one member of the team is "down for the count", for whatever reason, it's good to know the other member of the team can carry the load for a while.

Having someone to share all your burdens with (including financial) is one of the perks of marriage
That is a perspective I had not considered, thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships