Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 08:38 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,819 times

Advertisements

Men on this forum often ask for advice about the correct way to "approach" women. Most seem to think their lack of success is rooted in their lack of an effective technique.

But I doubt this is usually the case.

It seems that most men who want this kind of advice often try to "approach" women in circumstances where such behavior is totally inappropriate. They expect to be able too successfully "approach" women who are total strangers to them in grocery stores, in laundromats, at bus stops, etc. I'm sorry, but these are just not places where women typically expect, or desire, random men to hit on them. An "approach" from a stranger that might be perfectly acceptable at a bar or nightclub is likely to seem downright creepy if it happens at the UPS store.

I'm sorry, but a man who thinks it is okay to hit on random women anywhere and everywhere is just not very well socialized.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:49 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I think the bigger issue is that many of these guys are looking for one universal trick that will work on all women, which doesn't exist. One woman might find a sincere approach at the UPS Store to be charming, another woman could find it aggressive and off-putting. It doesn't mean that women don't know what they want, it's that different women want different things.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:58 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think the bigger issue is that many of these guys are looking for one universal trick that will work on all women, which doesn't exist. One woman might find a sincere approach at the UPS Store to be charming, another woman could find it aggressive and off-putting. It doesn't mean that women don't know what they want, it's that different women want different things.
So true.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:59 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Oh no, not another "APPROACH" topic.

What the heck is this approach concept? You slowly move closer to your quarry, or the radioactive matter, or the alien being, or to the scary, scary female -- what the heck? You guys are just wusses. If you're too baffled and intimidated to figure out how to do whatever it is you're trying to do, we probably don't want you to do it. Go away.

Or if you just stay out of bars and stop thinking of women as objects and more like the people who have surrounded you all of your life, -- you know in school, on the playground, in the grocery store: people who look and act a lot like your mom, your aunt, and your sister -- boy, you have devolved into a bunch of baby nothings.

Most women like to talk to men. It's not magic. If she likes you, she'll be nice and probably smile. If she doesn't, what's gonna happen? Boo. Run home.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:29 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
Quote:
This.

Women are not interchangeable. There is no magic formula or equation.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:34 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
This is the absolute truth.

Well, that and many people don't know how to read body language, and are too caught up in what they're thinking to care about the impression they create for another. Perception is everything when it comes to meeting others.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:36 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
This is the absolute truth.

Well, that and many people don't know how to read body language, and are too caught up in what they're thinking to care about the impression they create for another. Perception is everything when it comes to meeting others.
Yes!

Sometimes I think that there ought to be a required class in reading body language, in high school. (And not just from a dating/romantic perspective. It's also useful to read body language to be able to tell if it's a good time to ask your boss for something, if a customer is starting to get upset, etc.)

Old 05-28-2013, 09:43 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Yes!

Sometimes I think that there ought to be a required class in reading body language, in high school. (And not just from a dating/romantic perspective. It's also useful to read body language to be able to tell if it's a good time to ask your boss for something, if a customer is starting to get upset, etc.)
No kidding! I don't know how many times I've told my coworker to leave the boss alone, he's in a mood (he's VERY hormonal), and to wait for him to approach her when he's in a more upbeat mood. Nope, she goes charging in like a bull in a china shop, and wonders why it ends poorly. When he's pissed off is not the time to ask him for vacation days.

And body language and tone are what's so easily lost in online dating, or even in regular dating, when you reduce communications to text only. When you can't hear or see a person, you're often limited to assumptions about their words and intentions, and we know what happens when you assume...

Old 05-28-2013, 09:44 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
This.

Women are not interchangeable. There is no magic formula or equation.
Yep, which is why I always bristle when the forum ladies' men come out with the "do this, chicks will love it" advice, which is always recommending something that would make me want to slap a guy (not that I would. Violence is not the answer. ) Sure, certain things appeal to certain women, but those same acts or lines will leave many others cold.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:46 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
Quote:
This is true but I also think men tend to scare themselves. They may feel that no matter the approach they will get shot down and/or laughed at. I think a lot of guys try and go over the top and be who they think the woman wants them to be and end up looking stupid. Its really a case by case basis and should be treated as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships