Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 12:38 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,051,872 times

Advertisements

I'd guess all these situations are different. Is a person who acts like this with a partner for a few years not a good prospect for a relationship or is it just one partner doesn't like the other partner enough to really commit? Please share your stories and conclusions. Is it "commitment phobia" or "just haven't found the right person"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 12:40 PM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Acts like what? What do you mean by "on again, off again", exactly?

Old 06-02-2013, 12:43 PM

Acts in such a way that the relationship is breaking up and getting back together more than two times. Sometimes the couple is committed to each other , then they break up , then a few months or a few weeks passes and they are re committed to each other again. WHY in your experience and stories you've heard does this happen? Not liking the partner enough or not liking commitment enough?

Old 06-02-2013, 02:14 PM

246 posts, read 386,698 times
I had this with my ex SO after about 6 months. She seemed to like the drama of breaking up and then reconciling. Maybe she wanted to see how invested I was. Each one lasted a day or so. About a year in she broke up for 10 days then we reconciled. It was pretty much always me doing the reaching out. She finally broke up for good about 2 1/2 years in. A lot of issues there and I should have seen the thing wasn't long lasting from the get go. But love is blind. ha.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:37 PM

that's kind of the conclusion I'm drawing, if it's on and off, something is wrong. It's just a question is something wrong with one of the partners , as in they just can't commit or something wrong with the person they keep going back to- as in that's just not the person for them? The it's not you it's me thing. (which means it's you, it's definitely you lol, otherwise I'd cure my commitment phobia immediately.)

Old 06-02-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastwomanstanding View Post
that's kind of the conclusion I'm drawing, if it's on and off, something is wrong. It's just a question is something wrong with one of the partners , as in they just can't commit or something wrong with the person they keep going back to- as in that's just not the person for them? The it's not you it's me thing. (which means it's you, it's definitely you lol, otherwise I'd cure my commitment phobia immediately.)
You're drawing the correct conclusion LWS. In my case it just took a long time for me to realize that the on and off thing is really not healthy ... in fact just bringing up "breaking up" as a tactic to get something is toxic. My ex was a lovely person in many but her way of dealing with disagreements was to break up - no middle ground, no discussion.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:01 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,226,696 times
on and off relationships is indicative of two immature individuals. these drama driven relationships are tumultuous; its a vicious cycle thats difficult to break.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:27 PM

5,171 posts, read 4,623,476 times
Quote:
Not liking the partner enough or not liking commitment enough?
Aren't these really the same thing? Why would you have problems committing to someone you like enough?

Old 06-05-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Aren't these really the same thing? Why would you have problems committing to someone you like enough?
That's my point. It always comes back to there is no such thing as commitment phobia. Sometimes people just don't like you enough to commit.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
That's my point. It always comes back to there is no such thing as commitment phobia. Sometimes people just don't like you enough to commit.
Someone can like their partner but because of past breakups they may avoid commitment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships