Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you do?
I am a man, and I would take the deal 0 0%
I am a man, and I would use the deal as a threat to get a very advantageous deal. 1 5.88%
I am a man, and I would get a fair deal (e.g. shared custody, and equal division of assets) 8 47.06%
I am a man, will let my ex get what she wants, because I feel guilty 2 11.76%
I am a woman, and I would take the deal 0 0%
I am a woman, and I would use the deal as a threat to get a very advantageous deal. 0 0%
I am a woman, and I would get a fair deal (e.g. shared custody, and equal division of assets) 4 23.53%
I am a woman, will let my ex get what he wants, because I feel guilty 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 11:44 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times

Advertisements

Wrong on many levels. So a partner gets a divorce because they have a crush on someone else then to boot ask for alimony? then people wonder why I often look down on divorced people, it's because of situations like this. No a cheating spouse shouldn't get a penny of alimony, you madeyour bed, now lie in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 11:46 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Wrong on many levels. So a partner gets a divorce because they have a crush on someone else then to boot ask for alimony? then people wonder why I often look down on divorced people, it's because of situations like this. No a cheating spouse shouldn't get a penny of alimony, you madeyour bed, now lie in it.
I agree... we don't agree much, but we can on this one.......

Old 06-02-2013, 11:47 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Let's say you have a Husband/Wife. (S)he is a decent person, (s)he earns a decent income. You also have two kids.

You recently found a new love interest, who you feel is perfect in all ways, and hence lost interest in your current spouse. Because of this you have started to fight more as well. Hence you decided to leave your spouse, and you are getting a divorce.

You talked to a lawyer, and he tells you that he can make sure you can get whatever you want. You can get full custody, lifetime alimony, and 100% of the assets because you are the one in need of the money.

What would you do?
1. Go to a court and get everything you want
2. Use the deal as a threat to get a very advantageous deal.
3. Get a fair deal with shared custody, and equal division of assets
4. Let your ex get what (s)he wants as you feel bad about divorcing your ex for selfish reasons.

Let me see if I can get some more confidence in humanity.

I would say if you want to trade up go buy a new vehicle except if you have this sort of mindset I probably would not want to be married to you anyway so I would get the best I could to provide for my children and be grateful I have dodged the miserable for the rest of my life bullet and moved on.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:50 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I would say if you want to trade up go buy a new vehicle except if you have this sort of mindset I probably would not want to be married to you anyway so I would get the best I could to provide for my children and be grateful I have dodged the miserable for the rest of my life bullet and moved on.
I wouldn't let myself fall in love with another person. I would cut that person off. If you don't cut the person off, you are already risking your marriage.

But this is a hypothetical scenario, that is quite common. A lot of marriages end this way.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:00 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
If you go the route of infidelity then KMA, you don't get a dime. The gloves would come off and it's on like donkey kong.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:05 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
So this Hypothetical Person has kids with a decent human being, but is willing to screw their kids out of a stable household over Mr/Ms Perfect who is likely only "perfect" because they don't actually have to live with real life, everyday version of Hypothetical Person?

Yikes. LOL.

Well if it were me (and it wouldn't be) I'd be trying to resolve it as quickly and peacefully as possible, which means NOT taking the spouse to the cleaners, NOT trying to minimize the time the kids see the other parent, and NOT threatening armagedon if I don't get what I want. I would put up with my hubby's attitude as much as possible (within reason of course) because basically I'm the one screwing him over, and in this scenario he didn't deserve it.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:24 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,051 times
If I were the one being left since I am a fairly unattractive man I would probably fight in court and loose then start learning Russian from rosetta stone and pay what I had to keep my pass port active and start looking hard for opprotunities in Russia. Once I had everything in place I would stop all payments and simply leave. It depends on how bad I got hit financially and how long it will take me to recover. The USA is a really bad place to be as a poor person, the "social programs" are not really all that when your used to living on a 6 figure income.

If I could still affort to support all my habits and still put a good amount away for retirement I would stay but if I had to dramaticly reduce my standard of living because I was being bleed dry I would most certainly leave.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:27 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Yea but the other person they left is divorced too so you really need to get the story before you judge.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:44 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,447,211 times
Where's the option to give the kids to the spouse, since we're being all hypothetical here?

Old 06-03-2013, 05:26 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,627,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Let's say you have a Husband/Wife. (S)he is a decent person, (s)he earns a decent income. You also have two kids.

You recently found a new love interest, who you feel is perfect in all ways, and hence lost interest in your current spouse. Because of this you have started to fight more as well. Hence you decided to leave your spouse, and you are getting a divorce.

You talked to a lawyer, and he tells you that he can make sure you can get whatever you want. You can get full custody, lifetime alimony, and 100% of the assets because you are the one in need of the money.

What would you do?
1. Go to a court and get everything you want
2. Use the deal as a threat to get a very advantageous deal.
3. Get a fair deal with shared custody, and equal division of assets
4. Let your ex get what (s)he wants as you feel bad about divorcing your ex for selfish reasons.

Let me see if I can get some more confidence in humanity.
You can't get serious results in here, because that's not how it goes. Why on earth would someone admit of doing something that makes him/her bad? What you need to watch is the REALITY how people act in such situations. In fact, everyone thinks they wouldn't do it.
I.E. I cannot hear any person who would say this: "I'd cheat and if I get caught I'll still do anything within my legal options to gain the best of it that I can". And you didn't offer it in the options either. But guess what, if you had such deal for guys, lots of them would do it. If you don't believe this is true, just watch how women resonate in situations when they're caught cheating and figure it out. They even have an explanation for bastard child and you'll be at fault for them making you raise other man's child without knowing.
Although it's easy to point finger on imbalanced and unjust laws, the real problem is the attitude of people and society as a whole, and especially the ideology that is tutored by the "relevant" people in education, politics, legislation etc. They create the atmosphere that condones such behavior and then maintains it by making it completely legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships