Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
I did, but I'd already known her for a while. I had a couple of long term relationships that flamed out after about a year. A few years after my last relationship, I re-connected with an old friend from High School we're going to have our two year anniversary soon

I wanted a lasting long term relationship from about the time I was 19 and I'm 27 now. So it took me about six years.
I think this is really good example for all the guys we get here, complaining about how impossible it is to find someone.

Something I've noticed IRL is that women tend to expect the search to be measured in years, and men tend to think in terms of weeks. Is that just people I know, or have y'all seen the same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 11:18 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,333,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I think this is really good example for all the guys we get here, complaining about how impossible it is to find someone.

Something I've noticed IRL is that women tend to expect the search to be measured in years, and men tend to think in terms of weeks. Is that just people I know, or have y'all seen the same thing?
I've noticed that on C-D, but IRL, I don't know, I suppose I've never asked anyone that IRL. lol.

It would be interesting to know, though

Old 06-04-2013, 11:22 PM

550 posts, read 984,442 times
You need to actually get to know a man. Don't just think of him as a means to an end. You said it yourself, you're having trouble freaking telling them apart. You're not going to connect with a man and find your soulmate that way. Find one guy or two and date them and find out what they are truly like.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:25 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,333,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl25 View Post
You need to actually get to know a man. Don't just think of him as a means to an end. You said it yourself, you're having trouble freaking telling them apart. You're not going to connect with a man and find your soulmate that way. Find one guy or two and date them and find out what they are truly like.
I've actually covered all of this in this thread, but I'm not going to copy and paste it all here and I don't expect you to go digging for it, either. So, no worries. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:51 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,051 times
Quote:

I think it depends on if the man or women has reliable sex on the side. I have found that irl its MUCH easier for a woman to have sex on the side while she is looking for "the one" this gives her ALOT of time because she is not dealing with sexual frustration (until she starts running out of time to have a baby). For a guy that cant get a fwb to save his life, well, down goes the bar till he finds a woman willing to be in a relationship with him.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
MUCH easier for a woman to have sex on the side while she is looking for "the one"
I have never known a RL woman who did this. Have you? It sounds like an internet myth. Check Snopes

Edit: I have known a couple of guys who did, though. They were, oh, probably 2's or 3's at best. The trick was they were good in bed.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:58 AM

@OP, I have a radical suggestion for you.

I think a lot of what makes relationships difficult in the modern era is that we look for one person to fit a multitude of functions in our lives -- romantic partner, financial/retirement-planning/mortgage partner, co-parent, etc.

What if you just find yourself a co-parent? A guy who wants kids, whose parenting style and general life choices you respect, a good person. Get a lawyer to draw up a contract stating rights and responsibilities for both of you, and make a kid with him and a turkey baster. If you end up wanting to date and/or move in together that's cool, but if you don't, or if you do for a while and then stop, that's all cool, too. The co-parenting is the main relationship. Take the pressure off the rest. Maybe marry someone else.

What do you think?

Old 06-05-2013, 01:03 AM

Quote:
@OP, I have a radical suggestion for you.

I think a lot of what makes relationships difficult in the modern era is that we look for one person to fit a multitude of functions in our lives -- romantic partner, financial/retirement-planning/mortgage partner, co-parent, etc.

What if you just find yourself a co-parent? A guy who wants kids, whose parenting style and general life choices you respect, a good person. Get a lawyer to draw up a contract stating rights and responsibilities for both of you, and make a kid with him and a turkey baster. If you end up wanting to date and/or move in together that's cool, but if you don't, or if you do for a while and then stop, that's all cool, too. The co-parenting is the main relationship. Take the pressure off the rest. Maybe marry someone else.

What do you think?
If she finds a guy that agrees to that, send me his name and address and I will buy a plane ticket to beat him to death to put him out of his misery. Good lord.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:07 AM

Quote:
I have never known a RL woman who did this. Have you? It sounds like an internet myth. Check Snopes

Edit: I have known a couple of guys who did, though. They were, oh, probably 2's or 3's at best. The trick was they were good in bed.
Anyone who is willing can be trained to be good in bed if you work with them.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:24 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Anyone who is willing can be trained to be good in bed if you work with them.
Stopping in to testify from experience, unfortunately, that this is absolutely, 100% not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships