Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 10:25 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty much invisible in Portland. I like the life I've built for myself here too much to leave to see if I'd not be invisible elsewhere, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 10:35 AM

896 posts, read 1,476,550 times
Location makes a massive difference, as your friend is finding. Vegas has horrific odds for single men, and terrific odds for single women. NYC = opposite.

"...consistently pulls 8s and 9s in DC". Classic. Imagine all the women going, "hey I am a 9, I wish he would pull me"

This may come as a shock to you and your friend, but regardless of region, women demand a little more respect than that.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:36 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
For some people it wouldn't matter where they are, women will just flock to them. I've met enough guys to see that first hand.

Some people, it might depend on the location to there chances of getting women rise or fall.

I'm pretty sure that wherever I could go, I wouldn't get anyone, so there's that type, too.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:38 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,605,427 times
I think that the location can make a difference. But a man with tight game, can do well anywhere. Your friend would be best off sticking around LV and making it work there. Personaly, I dont like Vegas much because 9/10 young attractive women i approached there were straight up hookers. And these were young girls who looked like a girl next door, not a naked booty biatch down the strip. Not to mention, its entirely too supperficial and fake for my tastes.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:41 AM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
"The dude used to work at the Whitehouse, went to Dartmouth, drives a 5 series Beamer, and is in great shape and is pretty good looking (I am not gay, just sayin it like it is)! In Vegas, he constantly gets shot down. It's kinda pathetic. However, in DC he pulls 8s and 9s that make 80K+. What gives?"

A guy that really fits that description is going to do well anywhere. Hell, I want to date him from the description you gave and I'm a straight male. The only way I see that dramatic of a difference is if he is closer to an Average Joe.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:44 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
What?

I think we had a poster from DC complain about his dating life and how it's a sausage fest down there.
That's what I thought. I heard that DC has plenty of sasuage running around and not much tail. How many senators and congressmen are sleeping with their interns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Yes. I've heard that theyre many average or above average women who are lost in the shuffle in LA because they're so many beautiful women in that city that when they go somewhere else are Given so much more attention and have guys eating out of the palm of their hands

I've also heard of lame corny guys who get no sexual attention from women in NYC and LA that when they go to other parts of the country(especially the south)they feast almost strictly off being from those places. The same is true for guys going overseas.
This is true. I met an out of town plain Jane white woman here in NYC, she is from the Midwest and we spoke about dating and relationships, she did a horrible job with dating back in her home state, when she moved to NY she had no shortage of professional men to date. She told me if I moved to her state I would be married in a few months or by having a couple of women expecting by now. IF I was a woman and average looking I would try to avoid places like Miami, Tampa, Vegas, Arizona, LA and move to North East or North West. Average guys should just go south or west below Silicon Valley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
Hi,

My boy just moved to Vegas after being OCONUS for awhile. I would think the women in Vegas would be all over him as he is the real deal but he can't get a date in Vegas; the dude gets no traction in Vegas but cleans up in DC. And when I mean no traction, I mean nadda, I do better than him out here and I not the man he is on paper. He's black and 32 and I am white but that's not really an issue.

The dude used to work at the Whitehouse, went to Dartmouth, drives a 5 series Beamer, and is in great shape and is pretty good looking (I am not gay, just sayin it like it is)! In Vegas, he constantly gets shot down. It's kinda pathetic. However, in DC he pulls 8s and 9s that make 80K+. What gives?

Either his game is gone from being downrange or he just does not fit Vegas.

Has anyone ever experienced this before?
Your friend work ethic is pretty professional or in other words yuppie. If I was your friend I would have not move to party places like Vegas, Miami, New Orleans, San Diego. Your friend should stay in professional setting areas like DC or maybe Boston, NYC and SF were he can have a field day with entitled, educated, average looking feministas. Miami or Vegas are only good for average joes and high rollers. He should stick to cities with careerist and opportunistic women. I know of one woman from here in NYC, she had no shortage of men to date even though a city like NY where single women out number single men. One day she moved to the American South West and is having a hard time to find a man. Me personally I would probably do better in the South or out west compared to what I get here in NYC or in the rest of the North East.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
Some regions are better for some people. His traits and accomplishments are more respected and appreciated in the northeast than elsewhere. I also do better in the northeast when it comes to serious dating, than elsewhere. I haven't tried the west coast, but used to get a lot of matches there when I was on dating sites - and virtually none in the midwest and south. Vegas has always struck me as a more superficial area, but I've not spent time there so can't say for sure.

While there are people of every kind everywhere, there are distinct regional differences in which kinds prodominate - at least it seems that way to me! If I ever have to date again, I may head back to New England, or to the northwest, just to better the odds.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:54 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Definitely.
In fact, I think DC is a pretty good area for dating in general, especially for guys.
Very interesting...as a guy, I have lived in D.C. for over 15+ years, and I have found the D.C. ladies to be very, very (did I say very already, lol), *very* picky, when it comes to guys and romance! Not trying to brag or anything here, but despite being reasonably good-looking, making a nice and comfortable salary, and also being reasonably professionally successful, not a single lady here would give me a fair chance with them (and I tried very hard, for at least like 3-4 years, to date quite a lot of women, but nothing ever resulted in a relationship or went beyond a 2nd date) The results of dating local women were so utterly discouraging to me -- and even despite spending literally $1ks of dollars total on it -- that even if I were hypothetically single, I have pretty much given up entirely, on local D.C. women; I wouldn't even bother to date them anymore for the most part, 99% of the time...

Old 06-05-2013, 11:12 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Some regions are better for some people. His traits and accomplishments are more respected and appreciated in the northeast than elsewhere. I also do better in the northeast when it comes to serious dating, than elsewhere. I haven't tried the west coast, but used to get a lot of matches there when I was on dating sites - and virtually none in the midwest and south. Vegas has always struck me as a more superficial area, but I've not spent time there so can't say for sure.

While there are people of every kind everywhere, there are distinct regional differences in which kinds prodominate - at least it seems that way to me! If I ever have to date again, I may head back to New England, or to the northwest, just to better the odds.
I agree. I know of a guy who gets no attention here in NYC, he visited South Florida and got plenty of attention from women and he even then some. The idea of a goodman is very subjective where ever one goes. I think if one is a careerist or professional type Northeast corridor from DC to NYC and Boston might be the best bet and ditto for the North West from San Francisco to Seattle. Speaking of online dating. Some years ago I visited NC and I posted an add on craigslists and got back a dozen responses from women, here in NYC if I made a similar post I would be lucky to get a gay guy to respond to my posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Very interesting...as a guy, I have lived in D.C. for over 15+ years, and I have found the D.C. ladies to be very, very (did I say very already, lol), *very* picky, when it comes to guys and romance! Not trying to brag or anything here, but despite being reasonably good-looking, making a nice and comfortable salary, and also being reasonably professionally successful, not a single lady here would give me a fair chance with them (and I tried very hard, for at least like 3-4 years, to date quite a lot of women, but nothing ever resulted in a relationship or went beyond a 2nd date) The results of dating local women were so utterly discouraging to me -- and even despite spending literally $1ks of dollars total on it -- that even if I were hypothetically single, I have pretty much given up entirely, on local D.C. women; I wouldn't even bother to date them anymore for the most part, 99% of the time...
This is very true for much of the Northeast and this type of attitude is not only immune to DC. I too have gave up on dating local women here but I'm currently may go back and rely on local women even though they are picky. It sucks that women here choose the men they date and I got picked by women I did not like because not attracted or some sort of issue like premade family. As of lately I have been thinking about going back to local ghetto hoodrat NYC women versus entitled professional, inflated ego careerist, out of town, highly educated and higly indebted women. But both groups are picky but one is more pickier than the other.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:14 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post

Roger that. In places like DC and Manhattan if you see you went to Columbia and got an MBA from Penn the women will know you are 1%er and have a very good career, are smart, and are agreat long term relationship material. I don't have a degree--it's in progress--and in places like DC and some enclaves in Manhattan it was a definite negative. In vegas, the broads do not care.

In DC, working at the Whitehouse signifies the best of the best to the political crowd;and in DC the currency is power. In New York if you say Goldman Sachs it signifies the best of the best for the Wall Street crowd; in Manhattan finance and big law drives the money there.

If you say you went to Penn in Vegas the service staff here does not know what that means; they may not even know what an MBA is. Does a cocktail waitress in vegas understand the signs of success in the political world? No. She understands making it rain at the poker table.

So that's why he cleans up in in DC because he is high in that food chain; in vegas, his is not in their orbit.

There are certain signs that men send to signal success and that language is not universal. That's why he can date the Swedish hottie who works at the World Bank and not the Vegas cocktail server.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships