Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 12:00 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times

Advertisements

Did it bother you? How did it make you feel? How did things turn out?

(Note: I made this thread to hear actual stories or feelings of those who have been settled for, not so much to discuss the theory or idea of settling)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 12:03 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Shockingly....no. Had me thinking for a minute. But no I didn't.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:06 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
I had a girl who thought she settled for me. She treated me like crap and thought to remind me this quite often. Funny thing is, if anything it was me settling for her.

I dumped her, and she came crying and begging for me back.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:14 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,351,951 times
Out of court is really the best...wait..'for'. Ok.

I dated one girl who I introduced to a friend of mine; afterwards he looked at me and said in her voice, "You'll do... for now." Luckily she soon moved to Minnesota. Sorry, St. Paul. I wasn't thinking clearly at the time. She really should have had a warning label attached to her.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:18 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Oh, absolutely! I was in a multi year relationship for someone who settled for me because I made more money than he did and helped him finish college. I also allowed him to work part time so he had more time for hobbies so it was a perfect relationship for him. He wasn't physically attracted to me in any way, shape or form but that didn't matter when he could get tail on the side!

So yeah. It sucks. It didn't work out well and I'm slowly working with my major trust issues because of it.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:23 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,064,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Did it bother you? How did it make you feel? How did things turn out?

(Note: I made this thread to hear actual stories or feelings of those who have been settled for, not so much to discuss the theory or idea of settling)
3 examples of settling:

I settled for someone once. I haven't spent much time thinking about how I felt about it because I settled and took the person for granted. He also took me for granted. It wasn't as bad as it sounds, just a relationship that lacked passion after the initial beginning stages. We did not stay together. We went to an open relationship after about a year. He found someone else first but it did not work out and he wanted me back (in a full commitment) just as I found someone else who I had LOTS of passion for.

This other person was not as turned on by me as I was him. I don't know if you'd call it settling because it was more logic that put him with me rather than attraction. Different things matter to different people. I was a pretty woman, just not his type, but I did my best to become his type (padded bras , I wasn't going to go as far as surgery. I was happy with my body but he was not.) It bothered me that I needed to do this, but he wanted a "hot" woman and hot to him was large breasts. We were together a long time. He fell in love with me and did not want me to leave him. I split because there were too many other issues.

I also went with a man who flat out told me he was settling for me I didn't "get" that that was not necessarily the way to go being that I had such "success" with the man in the previous example simply from wearing a padded bra. Sounds dumb as I type but if that's all you need to do the get the man of your dreams, just do it don't be so concerned with what you need to do (if it's something simple like this) to get who you want. (or how it feels to your ego.) Let's just say when I went with a man who flat out said he was settling for me it did not end well.

I think when they don't even realize on a conscious level "settling" is happening it becomes unimportant. When (me too, I have a very "I don't want to settle" attitude that has not served me well.) a person is too concerned if they are settling or that they are being settled for it undermines things. Don't overthink. Just live. Hope this helps.

Last edited by lastwomanstanding; 06-09-2013 at 01:09 PM..

Old 06-09-2013, 12:27 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I had a girl who thought she settled for me. She treated me like crap and thought to remind me this quite often. Funny thing is, if anything it was me settling for her.

I dumped her, and she came crying and begging for me back.
I would have laughed at her, telling her to F/O. "You settled for me" is something I would have got all sorts of mileage out of.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:31 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I would have laughed at her, telling her to F/O. "You settled for me" is something I would have got all sorts of mileage out of.

I was civil, although it didn't stop and it got to the point where I said a few rude things after about 3 weeks of non stop messages.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:36 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,212,471 times
Maybe once in college, but we only dated for about five weeks. I think she was holding out hope that this guy on the rowing team would show interest in her. Of course, she showed some interest in me after I started dating someone else.

Other than the bad feelings of getting dumped, I didn't feel too bad about her settling. If we were together for over three months, I would wonder why she stayed with me so long. If anyone feels like they're settling they shouldn't be in relationships at the time.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:36 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I was civil, although it didn't stop and it got to the point where I said a few rude things after about 3 weeks of non stop messages.
If she kept on it, I would have messed with her mind a bit. Maybe lead her on a bit. Or better yet ignore her totally. Treat me poorly and I will fight back. I won't be physical, I won't even berate someone. They treat me poorly the should expect the same or expect to be dumped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships