Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 11:30 PM

217 posts, read 307,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Their legs are longer and therefore can cover more area more quickly
As a short runner, I often feel the need to jump in and refute this nonsense whenever someone says it. The fact is that long legs don't make someone fast, any more than large wheels make a car fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 11:32 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post
The first situation is quite normal. The second a genetic abnormality. Your comparison isn't valid.
No, being *exceptionally* short is not quite normal. It is in the minority (U.S average, for example, being 5'9", I believe...somebody correct me, I could be wrong about that) and could indicate any number of things: just simple genetics (of course), poor nutrition, an accident that caused lack of growth, use/misuse of drugs while the person was still growing (teen years), a genetic condition of the legs, illness/disease that has stunted growth, etc. It could mean the guy was an idiot and jumped off a roof at a young age and stunted his own growth due to an extended hospital stay and damage to the legs. It could be due to thyroid. It could be due to diabetes. It could be due to abuse.

The so-termed "reptilian" (base, instinctive) brain can't tell the difference.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post
Being discriminated against for something you've no control over is what the Civil Rights era was all about after all. .
Yes, you're right. So you'd go out with a woman who was naturally extremely ugly? Just curious.

I'm not giving you an "ah-ha!", I really am asking.

By the way, I'm not really sure how preferences in a mate equate to Civil Rights or are even a "rights" issue at all, but that's just me. If it were all about "rights" then men would choose unattractive-looking/too short/too tall/oddly misproportioned without a genetic cause/too large nose/receding chin/cystic acne despite proper diet and exercise, etc., etc., etc. women equally with the hotties they tend to go after instead. Because if it's "rights," then these unfortunate women should have the equal right to be loved.

The problem is that attraction isn't about rights, and it isn't about intellectual fairness. Partially, sure. Wholly? No way, no how. Not from either sex.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:40 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Quote:
No, being *exceptionally* short is not quite normal. It is in the minority (U.S average, for example, being 5'9", I believe...somebody correct me, I could be wrong about that) and could indicate any number of things: just simple genetics (of course), poor nutrition, an accident that caused lack of growth, use/misuse of drugs while the person was still growing (teen years), a genetic condition of the legs, illness/disease that has stunted growth, etc. It could mean the guy was an idiot and jumped off a roof at a young age and stunted his own growth due to an extended hospital stay and damage to the legs. It could be due to thyroid. It could be due to diabetes. It could be due to abuse.

The so-termed "reptilian" (base, instinctive) brain can't tell the difference.
Yup. Average height is 5'9 in the US.

Sweet, another strike.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post

Sweet, another strike.
Only if you want it to be (another strike). Any person can be shallow, but people tend to be shallow in all different ways. Height may not be as much of a factor for one woman as another. It never was for me, the love of my life (so to speak) was 5'5".

The point of this argument was really not to make men OR women feel they have NO chance because of biological drive; it was to prove that shallowness is shallowness no matter how prettily one cloaks it.

PF, I like you. I like you a lot. If I had a sister, I'd be hooking the two of you up right quick. I think you're brilliant and funny. But really, I have to ask you this. If a seriously ugly girl (in your estimation of ugly) wanted to be with you and you just didn't, would you force yourself to "feel it"? Can anyone force him/herself to "feel it"?

If you couldn't force yourself to feel physically attracted to someone who just wasn't attractive to you, would that make you shallow, and would you therefore be a terrible person?

It's widely accepted that men have "biological instincts" that make them seek out beautiful women. It is WAY less accepted, in our currency-based/non-physical (non-natural) current societal and still very patriarchal setup, for women to also seek out men who are beautiful to them. I really don't buy into the "it's okay for men because they can't help it, but women actually can, so their shallowness is worse" thing, and that is what I've been arguing.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:45 PM

135 posts, read 137,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post

Sweet, another strike.
Is that with shoes or without shoes?

One of my tall friends is 6'1. He meets people shorter than him all the time that claim to be his height. He just laughs.

...I've also had two doctors. One that measured my height with shoes, one without.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Only if you want it to be (another strike). Any person can be shallow, but people tend to be shallow in all different ways. Height may not be as much of a factor for one woman as another. It never was for me, the love of my life (so to speak) was 5'5".

The point of this argument was really not to make men OR women feel they have NO chance because of biological drive; it was to prove that shallowness is shallowness no matter how prettily one cloaks it.

PF, I like you. I like you a lot. If I had a sister, I'd be hooking the two of you up right quick. I think you're brilliant and funny. But really, I have to ask you this. If a seriously ugly girl (in your estimation of ugly) wanted to be with you and you just didn't, would you force yourself to "feel it"? Can anyone force him/herself to "feel it"?
While chemistry can be less than ideal, the other person can still be decent enough to simulate a physical reaction out of you through friction. A relationship can be formed on the mutual enjoyment of such.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyGuy View Post
Is that with shoes or without shoes?

One of my tall friends is 6'1. He meets people shorter than him all the time that claim to be his height. He just laughs.

...I've also had two doctors. One that measured my height with shoes, one without.
Yup, when I first started talking to my now-DH (online) he said he was 5'11". Later he said he was 5'10". Guess what...he's a little under 5'9".

What did I know or care, I'm 5'1", 5'9" or -10" or -11" makes little difference to me!

Old 06-10-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Yup, when I first started talking to my now-DH (online) he said he was 5'11". Later he said he was 5'10". Guess what...he's a little under 5'9".

What did I know or care, I'm 5'1", 5'9" or -10" or -11" makes little difference to me!
Do you believe the idea that women just want men at least as tall as them?

Old 06-10-2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyGuy View Post
Do you believe the idea that women just want men at least as tall as them?
I don't know. Hmmm...yes, probably (though I'd leave out the "just" in your sentence). Most though, of course, not all. I think it's the same the other way around. Most, but certainly not all, men want women at least as short as they are.

Obviously there are exceptions on both sides.

I do think this is why so many men seem to lie about their height both online and IRL. I think they feel it sounds more attractive to give a taller height. I personally don't have a point of experiential reference for this, I've never dated a man shorter than I, I think I'd have to visit the circus for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships