Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 07:04 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringPrizes View Post

You'd think women are just blowing steam when they say this, but I've seen it in practice. This one girl was talking to a guy at a party, hitting it off quite well with him. She mentioned that she only likes guys 6'0"+. The guy said he's 5'11", at which point she suddenly found an excuse to exit the conversation. (No doubt she probably has done the arithmetic and determined that, since she must look exactly 2+" or shorter than a guy in a picture while wearing her 4.5" high-heeled shoes, the shortest she can allow herself to date is 6'0".).
No woman who's truly interested in a guy is going to exit from a conversation just because the guy's 1 inch shorter than her requirements; she exited that conversation due to something else – bad teeth, bad breath, he made a snarky comment about women that he thought was funny (a lot of women have a very dry sense of humor and are easily offended), he boasted about his job/car/salary/penis size/conquests, he smelled like he hadn't showered, his cologne was punching her in the nose like Mike Tyson, he made a racist comment (she has friends of every color), he made a homophobic remark (she has gay friends), he called his ex-girlfriend a b*tch/sl*t/etc., he mentioned that he was lactose intolerant, he didn't have a job and didn't sound like he really wanted one, etc.

I refuse to believe that she exited that conversation because a guy she appeared to be interested in was 1 inch shorter than her requirements. If it doesn't make sense, it's probably not true.

I can promise you she exited that conversation due to something else, not his height – I'm not buying it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 07:11 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
I think that has been true a very long time, I have always seen women to be more picky than men.
A'm over 60 ,and as far back as I can remember women seemd to have made a decision before you even approach them. and I've discssed this with a number of people all my life, men and women.
It was very unusual for a woman to be openly friendly with less than perfect looking men, and if she did it was assumed she was desperate among the girls piers.
Guys were simply thankful to have a little attention.
Look how hard it is when guys have to develop pick up lines and be creative , and if a girl has heard that particular line she blows him off right off the bat, not even considdering the courage it took simply to make an acquaintence.
Women are so picky, it's no wonder many men are turning to homosexuality simpy tired of being put down.
Our species thrives on affection ,and I realize that a certian amount of trust has to be involved, but why do people try to build a romance right off the bat, in sted of simply being friends first, and genuinely getting to know one another honestly first.
Or is it that there are so many lies that are traded, that people are anxious to make the deal, before the other finds them out?
If the latter is true it is no wonder marriages are so short lived.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:30 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
I think the shallowness is shared amongst both sexes. Unfortunately, aesthetics does triumph over anything else. Its much more difficult for a man to date (or be noticed) if he isn't up to par with his looks.... but add money into the equation, and the playing field is somewhat leveled out.

Personally, I find that woman are more shallow than men when it comes to physical deal breakers.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:34 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
..., from my experience, the only ones who profess to have "deal-breakers" are women. By deal-breaker I mean some physical preference that is declared as an absolute, something like "I can't find guys under 6'0" attractive" or "I have but one deal-breaker: no bald/balding guys."

You'd think women are just blowing steam when they say this, but I've seen it in practice. This one girl was talking to a guy at a party, hitting it off quite well with him. She mentioned that she only likes guys 6'0"+. The guy said he's 5'11", at which point she suddenly found an excuse to exit the conversation. (No doubt she probably has done the arithmetic and determined that, since she must look exactly 2+" or shorter than a guy in a picture while wearing her 4.5" high-heeled shoes, the shortest she can allow herself to date is 6'0".) I also heard one woman say that she doesn't like blonde-haired guys. It's a no-compromise standard of beauty that she can't change. Sucks for guys like Brad Pitt and Daniel Craig.

Maybe I'm exceptionally lax when it comes to my physical preferences, but I can honestly say that I don't have any deal-breakers, or certainly not any that involve an exact dimension such as a maximum weight I'll allow. I wouldn't date a fat woman, but that's just saying that I wouldn't date anyone that doesn't take care of themselves physically; same thing as saying I wouldn't date a woman who never brushes her teeth or washes her hair. There's a pudgy blonde girl that works at the front desk at the gym I go to, and I would date her or bang her without hesitation. Some women actually look better pudgy than slender. If you name any combination of traits -- hair color, eye color, weight, breast size, density of freckles, etc. -- I can think of a particular woman I'm attracted to who has those traits.

Discuss.
You're focussing on the occasional individuals that you observe displaying these "deal breaker" priorities, whereas you don't notice all the women who don't have them, and who go for character over physical characteristics.

Men do have deal-breakers, many won't even talk to women who don't look "hot", or those who look merely "cute", let alone plain. They just don't discuss it in public. I'm surprised a woman would say to publicly that she has a height deal-breaker. But for all those women there's just as many who aren't like that. The trick is to find 'em.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:39 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Like I said, this is just my experience thus far. Perhaps you can point me to an example on this forum where a guy who says "I won't date a woman who doesn't have at least size 32C breasts." Then I'll change my view.

At the top of every page there is a search box, use it, I already know what I said is true, you want proof, find it yourself.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:41 PM

217 posts, read 307,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
I can promise you she exited that conversation due to something else, not his height – I'm not buying it .
If you don't think that little things like 1 inch of height make a difference, then maybe I can convince you with another story.

I knew another girl who had the height requirement of the magical number 6. Since this girl is like 5'0" (you probably could've predicted that lol), she has more trouble accurately gauging a guy's height than most girls do. So she had actually practiced figuring out a guy's exact height by making height markings on her wall, standing some distance in front of them and seeing how much she needed to tilt her head to look at the different marks. With enough practice she now claims she can go up to talk to any guy figure out his height by how much she has to tilt her head while standing close to him.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:41 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're focussing on the occasional individuals that you observe displaying these "deal breaker" priorities, whereas you don't notice all the women who don't have them, and who go for character over physical characteristics.

Men do have deal-breakers, many won't even talk to women who don't look "hot", or those who look merely "cute", let alone plain. They just don't discuss it in public. I'm surprised a woman would say to publicly that she has a height deal-breaker. But for all those women there's just as many who aren't like that. The trick is to find 'em.
This is exactly what it is. Of course men have deal breakers, but they're not going to vocalize them because it might hurt their 'game'. Considering many, if not most, men will have sex with or fool around with women who have what they consider deal breakers, they don't want to ruin their chances. They'll just do the deed and then make fun of her to his friends the next day. I mean, my guy friends all have deal breakers but I didn't really find out about most of them until they 'banged' a chick with one and trashed her for it later.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised a woman would say to publicly that she has a height deal-breaker.
Almost every short I know has been rejected for the stated reason of being too short.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:47 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Almost every short I know has been rejected for the stated reason of being too short.
The women actually say, "Eww, you're too short"? They don't say, "you're not my type", or something vague, like "I don't think it would work"? Maybe because the guys ask for the reason? Women generally don't ask for a guy's reason for rejecting her. They just move on.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
The women actually say, "Eww, you're too short"? They don't say, "you're not my type", or something vague, like "I don't think it would work"?
I get the feeling that a lot of people on this site come from a different culture than I do. It makes sense since this is an international.

Yes, in my culture, it's pretty common for a guy to be rejected for the stated reason of "You're too short for me." I'm not sure if it's ever been prefixed with "Eww", but it probably has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships