Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 02:16 PM

160 posts, read 384,771 times

Advertisements

It's been years since my boyfriend died. And I prayed to God a few months ago can he send me the perfect guy for me. Well i met this guy at work. We are both in law enforcement. He is a supervisor and everybody respects him because he treats everybody with respect. We both really like eachother alot. We are on different breaks. Most of the time I will come in for him if he calls me which is alot to help him out on his shifts and he always makes his way to visit me. He told he really liked but he cannot date me because he has alot of lose. If he loses his job he loses the custody of his kids. He told me if I was out of my uniform he would ask me out in a heartbeat. Once we are together it;s like nothing else matters around us. He is so kind.
I live a simple life i pay my own bills and do whatever i want on my off days but I don't like to get out much. We both understand out job is very stressful sometimes. i already put in to other law enforcement agencies and they are very hard to get into.
Would I be completely stupid if i gave up my simple life for him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 02:21 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourglass45 View Post
It's been years since my boyfriend died. And I prayed to God a few months ago can he send me the perfect guy for me. Well i met this guy at work. We are both in law enforcement. He is a supervisor and everybody respects him because he treats everybody with respect. We both really like eachother alot. We are on different breaks. Most of the time I will come in for him if he calls me which is alot to help him out on his shifts and he always makes his way to visit me. He told he really liked but he cannot date me because he has alot of lose. If he loses his job he loses the custody of his kids. He told me if I was out of my uniform he would ask me out in a heartbeat. Once we are together it;s like nothing else matters around us. He is so kind.
I live a simple life i pay my own bills and do whatever i want on my off days but I don't like to get out much. We both understand out job is very stressful sometimes. i already put in to other law enforcement agencies and they are very hard to get into.
This is one of those decisions you make as a couple, and only after each person has total and complete trust and faith in one another based on them each having EARNED it.

While I'd love to give him the benefit of the doubt and say "go for it!", I'm not the one who has to live with the consequences if he is just paying you lip service for his own benefit (telling you what he thinks you'd like to hear in order to have a sexual relationship with you for example).

So...has he earned your trust? Or do you have any red flags blowing in the breeze trying to catch your attention?

Old 06-10-2013, 02:22 PM

550 posts, read 984,516 times
No, not for someone you haven't even gone on a date with.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:25 PM

160 posts, read 384,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
This is one of those decisions you make as a couple, and only after each person has total and complete trust and faith in one another based on them each having EARNED it.

While I'd love to give him the benefit of the doubt and say "go for it!", I'm not the one who has to live with the consequences if he is just paying you lip service for his own benefit (telling you what he thinks you'd like to hear in order to have a sexual relationship with you for example).

So...has he earned your trust? Or do you have any red flags blowing in the breeze trying to catch your attention?
there are no red flags

Old 06-10-2013, 02:31 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
I don't understand what that means (the bolded part). What does dating you have anything to do with losing his job? Is he your supervisor? If he's your supervisor, can you put in for a transfer? Don't give up anything for him, especially since you're not even dating. If he sincerely has feelings for you and you feel the same for him, see if you can transfer. Also, just something to keep in mind, he has custody of his kids, which means he may not give you 100%. Is that something you're ok with?

Old 06-10-2013, 02:34 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
No.

There is no relationship here to give up a job for. So far it is just a mutual fantasy and those have a way of being disappointing when they become reality.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:36 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Are you serious?

How old are you, 14?

Old 06-10-2013, 02:38 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
No, you should not give up your career, benefits, and pension for someone you have not even been on a date with yet. Yes, you would be stupid if you did.

FTR: I question the veracity of this post. I have a hard time believing anyone in law enforcement would have to ask this question in the first place.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:39 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
How would you pay your bills if you quit??

Even a simple life costs $$$.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:40 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
there are no red flags
I'd say the fact you haven't even been out on a date yet is kind of a red flag!

Look, if you really want to see how serious he is you have to sit down with him and have a real conversation.

Put your cards on the table and tell him you are ready to tender your resignation if he is serious about you.

The minute you do this, he'll either panic and back pedal - or he'll be very excited and want to know when you are giving your notice.

Prepare yourself honey - I think he's going to back pedal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships