Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:01 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times

Advertisements

I don't think who someone slept with in the distant past should even be discussed in a new relationship. Significant, long term relationships are all that needs to be disclosed. IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 11:04 AM

523 posts, read 840,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
HPV = Human PapillomaVirus. Believe it or not, it's even more common than either Herpes virus. It's so common that the experts now say you should assume you have it if you're sexually active. It could be essentially wiped out in a generation (preventing many cancer deaths) by having everyone vaccinated before the age when they begin sexual activity. Many on the right in the U.S. are against this, though, for reasons I cannot grasp.
I don't think people are against a vaccine since there is one already, it just doesn't cover all the strains of HPV. Apparently, there are many strains. I think a better one just came out, but still doesn't cover all the strains and you have to get when you are 11 or 12.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:44 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,599,389 times
Quote:
HPV = Human PapillomaVirus. Believe it or not, it's even more common than either Herpes virus. It's so common that the experts now say you should assume you have it if you're sexually active. It could be essentially wiped out in a generation (preventing many cancer deaths) by having everyone vaccinated before the age when they begin sexual activity. Many on the right in the U.S. are against this, though, for reasons I cannot grasp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2013 View Post
I don't think people are against a vaccine since there is one already,
Please note the difference between what I said and what you seem to think I said. I said people are against giving the vaccine, not against the vaccine merely existing.

Quote:
you have to get when you are 11 or 12.
It's not that you have to get it when you're 11 or 12. It's that you have to get it before you become sexually active (including oral sex), since you're assumed to have it already once you are. 11 or 12 has been deemed to be an age at which the overwhelming majority haven't yet had sex, and therefore can still benefit from it.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Please note the difference between what I said and what you seem to think I said. I said people are against giving the vaccine, not against the vaccine merely existing.

People are against giving it? I haven't seen that. The dr. recommended it for my daughter when she was 11. When it first came out, there were tons of tv ads for it. Curious why you say that?

Old 06-12-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
People are against giving it? I haven't seen that. The dr. recommended it for my daughter when she was 11. When it first came out, there were tons of tv ads for it. Curious why you say that?
Here are the first six results from a Google search. Feel free to google yourself to see a few hundred more. You either live in a very progressive area or outside of the U.S. if you weren't aware of this.

Sex, politics and the stigma over the HPV vaccine

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/14/us...cine.html?_r=0

Why the politics of HPV are so muddled - Washington Post

New Study Debunks Conservative Hysteria That HPV Vaccination Causes 'Sexual Promiscuity' | ThinkProgress

Conservatives' HPV vaccine dilemma: are they anti-cancer, or just anti-sex? | Jill Filipovic | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

"Mandatory HPV Vaccination and Political Debate" by Lawrence O. Gostin

Old 06-12-2013, 04:37 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,820 times
Quote:
You haven't seen Michele Bachman shrieking that it causes mental retardation?
Stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the info, interesting. I live in an educated area and never talk politics, oh and I'm liberal. Just seemed like a no brainer to me for my daughter to get it. I didn't think I was promoting her to have sex. I don't even think she knew at the time what the shot was for.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:09 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
It depends on the person and the situation. If it was 10, 20 years ago and something he and his buddies did once or twice while he was in a fraternity or in the military or something like that (think Biloxi Blues), it wouldn't bother me. If it was recent and a streetwalker, or frequent at any point, sorry, but I would find it repugnant.

Quote:

Actually, that's not true. There are dozens of HPV viruses, and Cervarix is only for types 16 and 18 (those associated with cervical cancer) and Gardisil is only for types 6, 11, 16, and 18 (6 and 11 are the ones that cause warts).

Also, experts do not say you should assume you have it if you're sexually active. The statistics are that most people will have one of the HPV viruses at some point in their lives if they have more than one partner--with a very loose definition of "partner" because HPV can be transmitted without penetration. But the viruses clear the body, most within a few months, nearly all within 2-3 years. It's only chronic and persistent in about 1% of cases, usually in women, and those are the types that are associated with cervical cancer. This means that for monogamous couples who have been together for several years, it's nearly a sure bet that both partners are clear.

I do agree with you that it's unfathomable why anyone would be against the vaccines. Religious and/or right-wing nuttery, to be sure.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:31 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,578,467 times
I have been drunk enough in Vegas to consider it. The professionals there can seem like just another attractive girl when you have had a few drinks. Luckily my more sober friend(s) have gotten me out of that situation, but I could see where a non desperate guy that would never do that could fall into that trap.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Just seemed like a no brainer to me for my daughter to get it.
As it should be. Unfortunately many people are not as smart as you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships