Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 02:22 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times

Advertisements

Presently living in an area where people generally don't even look at each other, it's nice to be greeted in any way.
When somebody asks "How are you", I just reply, "Fine. Hope you are." Sure beats the cold, unfriendly norm! I'm just thankful to encounter somebody remotely pleasant half the time -- especially in stores where you can't even get somebody's attention to ring you the heck up!

Many people ask me "What's up?" I say "Oh, my phone bill, inflation, the sky..." It usually gets a laugh. Again, just happy somebody cares enough to say anything. Nobody's perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 03:42 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,047,463 times
Myself, I don't see what the big deal is. If someone says hi, hello, how are you... sure it's unoriginal but who am I to judge. They are probably just trying to engage someone and to me that's a good thing. I'd just be glad to come across someone that can see past their own nose

Old 11-07-2007, 05:11 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,944 times
I don't understand why anyone would be so sensitive to a casual greeting...and when I say "How are you?," I say it with MEANING...yes, I DO want to know how you are.
What would you rather people ask - your bank balance, your health status?

Hard to believe people are so easily offended....

Just take it the way its meant, respond in kind, and move on.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:12 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
I find this habit really annoying so I have now started actually answering "truthfully" and at great lengths ( ie: "well thanks for asking but I am feeling awful actually, I haven't slept too well last night, my cat was sick all over the floor, and the plumber hasn't turned up to repair my shower yet, the car is in the garage "etc... ) . It's hilarious to see the blank stares and bored looks. Just become a a thorn in their sides and hopefully they will soon be cured of it !

Old 11-07-2007, 09:32 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
When did "how are you" become the new word for Hello? Every where I go the first thing people say is HOW ARE YOU(??). I would usually say, "fine" or "good" and leave it at that but finally I got tired of it. So now I say, "do you really want to know"? Or, "not so good" just to see if I get a response. Usually I just get a stare or a dirty look. Then I say, "why did you ask me how I was if you really did not want to know?" I got another dirty look.

If people do not want to know how I am why do they ask?
I think people are just trying to be polite when they ask "how are you" - I don't think anyone should be chastised for it because you don't like the saying. People can't have deep, sincere conversations with everyone we meet. However, one can at least make eye contact when you ask the question. "How are you" opens the door way to pleasant dialogue which can be quickly slammed shut when someone says "do you really want to know?" or "not so good." That's a good way to put someone on the spot that probably didn't deserve it. Where as "how are you" might be insincere, going on about how bad your day is promotes negative feelings and I don't see how that is any better.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:41 AM

18,120 posts, read 11,756,270 times
I normally say "How's everything going with you?" and I stand still waiting and watching for an answer because I do care and I do mean what I'm asking.

What would be the right thing to say when greeting someone? Any suggestions?
Line openers?

Old 11-07-2007, 02:02 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,400,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
When did "how are you" become the new word for Hello? Every where I go the first thing people say is HOW ARE YOU(??). I would usually say, "fine" or "good" and leave it at that but finally I got tired of it. So now I say, "do you really want to know"? Or, "not so good" just to see if I get a response. Usually I just get a stare or a dirty look. Then I say, "why did you ask me how I was if you really did not want to know?" I got another dirty look.

If people do not want to know how I am why do they ask?
Goodtype,

You started two other threads. In one you said, you were not going to give anyone christmas gifts this year because you were tired of it and last year you overgave and people weren't appreciative enough. In another, you wanted to know if it was okay to exclude some close relatives (sister and her husband?) to a family christmas party because they were cold and unpleasant to be around. Now here you are saying, you want to call people out on insincere greetings like "Hi, how are you?"

I think you are asking too much of people, and if you continue to do this, it's going to make you an unpleasant person to be around. Go and buy your family some christmas gifts. Invite all your relatives to your christmas party, and for gosh sakes, just smile and say "Great, how are you?" to people when they ask. It's not that difficult!

Greenie

Old 11-07-2007, 06:12 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
I think "how are you" has become the new "how do you do" that people used to say way back in the day as a greeting. I don't think anybody really cares how you are doing (except the one guy here who said he did want to know). They merely acknowledged your presence and a simple "fine, thanks" or "hello" will suffice. Try not to get your panties in a bunch, people- they were being nice!!!

Old 11-07-2007, 09:13 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
What would be the right thing to say when greeting someone? Any suggestions?
Line openers?

Guess it can depend on where you live.
If you're in Philly, "Yo" can suffice nicely May hear "Hey" too.
(Phillyspeak for "Hi.")

Old 11-08-2007, 12:10 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I think you are asking too much of people, and if you continue to do this, it's going to make you an unpleasant person to be around. Go and buy your family some christmas gifts. Invite all your relatives to your christmas party, and for gosh sakes, just smile and say "Great, how are you?" to people when they ask. It's not that difficult!

Greenie
Greenie, I agree with you on this one 100%. I find it very odd that people are annoyed/offended by a greeting. Would you rather people simply ignore you and not say anything? Geez!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships