Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:16 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times

Advertisements

I still rent in my late 30's and have had no problem getting dates. What I actually often hear from homeowners I've dated is that they wish they were renters. It's turned out to have been a much smarter financial decision to rent than own over the past 5-6 years in my area. Many owners have negative equity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 10:37 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Lol now I was going to tell you I had my son at 25. And when he is 16 I'll be 40..

My ex had his last baby when he was almost 50. He wasn't at all happy about it. Today? He's head over heels about that kid.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:42 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I agree that it depends. I'm 39 now. Widowed at 34 from my only LTR so no pesky exes in the picture, no kids, I have my own house, I've been at my job for almost 7 years, and have excellent credit. Pretty ordinary life with very little drama and the best friends a girl can ask for. I'm blessed in many ways.

I dated someone on and off for 6 months about 2 1/2 years ago. In the last two years, I've tried online dating 5 different times (eHarmony, Match and OKC-never had a date from any of them), am active in Meetup, volunteer on a regular basis, have taken assorted classes of interest to me (rock climbing, photography, line dancing, kayaking) and can't get a date to save my life. Actually, that's not entirely true. I did meet a friend of a friend a few months ago who made it abundantly clear from the initial contact (by him) that meeting me was inconvenient because he doesn't like to break from his routine. So, I'm currently averaging a date about once every 2 years. But, dating is the one area of my life that has always been a struggle. I've only had 3 BFs in my life: 2 in HS and then my late hubby, who I met just before I turned 26.
This is sad, but my story is similar. I got divorced (which felt like a death because I didn't want it) and dating has been rough, not matter what site I've been on. I've tried all the ones you have, and do similar activities (meetup, volunteer, etc). Anyway, I wish I had an answer for both of us.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:07 PM

855 posts, read 1,384,541 times
Pretty much non-existent and not really important to me at least right now and for the forseeable future. Always can change at any moment if the right woman crosses my path.

Bad experiences and enough rejections have helped me learn to love other things in life and expect absolutely nothing from women.

Putting sex aside, I'm at the point in my life where relationships with women are too painful to deal with. Enough headaches and heartaches for one lifetime thank-you very much. Not to mention I don't need someone inisisting that I adhere to rules of curfew and prohibition.

I don't go actively searching for hook-ups or potential relationships but I'm not one to reject the opportunity to meet a good woman if the situation presented itself.

I've done fairly well for the past decade and a bit without wanting or needing a woman in my life. I see more people running to the courts to destroy what they shouldn't have gotten themselves into in the first place. Don't need to experience the same fate.

This is reality.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:31 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post

On the positive side:

They're more likely to be secure in their jobs
They usually own a home
They often can cook (when ladies ask me how I got to be such a talented cook I say, 'I like eating, it was a natural progression')
Usually (not always though) they no longer have to be picked up after
The good ones are out of that skirt chasing phase
They appreciate your friendship more
If they have kids, they usually are out of the house or teens
Yes.

I think the biggest positive of all is they have relationship experience. They no longer think that the way their parents loaded the dishwasher is the only acceptable way, or that the end of the honeymoon phase means they no longer love the person.

Second biggest positive: People over 40 are so much better in bed! I had no idea.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I agree that it depends. I'm 39 now. Widowed at 34 from my only LTR so no pesky exes in the picture, no kids, I have my own house, I've been at my job for almost 7 years, and have excellent credit. Pretty ordinary life with very little drama and the best friends a girl can ask for. I'm blessed in many ways.

I dated someone on and off for 6 months about 2 1/2 years ago. In the last two years, I've tried online dating 5 different times (eHarmony, Match and OKC-never had a date from any of them), am active in Meetup, volunteer on a regular basis, have taken assorted classes of interest to me (rock climbing, photography, line dancing, kayaking) and can't get a date to save my life. Actually, that's not entirely true. I did meet a friend of a friend a few months ago who made it abundantly clear from the initial contact (by him) that meeting me was inconvenient because he doesn't like to break from his routine. So, I'm currently averaging a date about once every 2 years. But, dating is the one area of my life that has always been a struggle. I've only had 3 BFs in my life: 2 in HS and then my late hubby, who I met just before I turned 26.
How many of these dates were initiated by you? Do you ask people out? Do you message them first, on dating sites? A lot of guys like to be asked .

Old 06-12-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Maybe, do you know every 40 yr old?
Yes, yes I do. Don't you???

And they all agree, you reign .

Old 06-12-2013, 01:02 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
LOL she has just experienced trouble and wants to go for it again? People truly keep making the same mistakes.
That's why when you finalize your divorce you are suppose to buy a bat, give it to a trusted friend and say, "Hit me in the face with this bat if I ever...EVER want to get married again."

Old 06-12-2013, 03:32 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Im over 40 and looking. But its kind of like buying a used car. You dont know the history, how many people have driven it, and there are probably hidden problems you will find out later after you have invested waaay too much.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:41 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Im over 40 and looking. But its kind of like buying a used car. You dont know the history, how many people have driven it, and there are probably hidden problems you will find out later after you have invested waaay too much.
If you go in thinking people are like used cars, I doubt you'll have much success. People find it so flattering to be seen as used goods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships