Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 08:15 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,599,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It's why the diet industry is so lucrative. Most diets don't work, yet slimfast pills or whatever fly off the shelf and people have actually died from using them.
Good example. One of the most amazing examples to me is the fact that many men apparently still buy products that claim to enlarge the penis. Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
This is exactly it!

I know a few guys that are completely comfortable around women but they don't call their personality 'game' or refer to themselves as 'PUA'...it's just the way they are. It's the people who subscribe to labeling it and selling it that are wrong, IMO. I mean, go to a therapist and figure out why you have social anxiety if it's that bad, don't pay some dude on the internet to 'teach' you PUA.
Bingo. Nailed it.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
So every nerd in the world should see a therapist?
If by "nerd" you mean "person with extreme social anxiety, communication difficulties, or disordered personality traits that prevent them from being able to form healthy relationships," then yes, absolutely. It would be money far better spent and would likely lead to healthier relationships with healthier women than the PUA/game/manipulation stuff.

If by "nerd" you mean "intelligent person," including the ones with good emotional intelligence and social skills, then no, they don't all need a therapist and they certainly don't need PUA videos.

Last edited by nearnorth; 06-14-2013 at 08:31 AM..

Old 06-14-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
It's not that I'm really defensive,

Old 06-14-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
The problem is, a lot of information on those PUA sites DO work,
Why is that a problem? If it works for you, use it. No need to spend time defending it on an internet forum. Go out and pick up some girls!

Old 06-14-2013, 08:36 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,039 times
Here is a hidden reason why PUA works, no one seems to get this part. Many of todays young men are still brought up with traditional dating advice form their families and their loved oes, with perfectly good intentions, but we all know what the road to hell is paved with. They are taught to put women on pedestal, treat them like princesses, assume lower social status, shower them with gifts, progress in their career fields to obtain material goods to attract them, and respect/defend them uncodnitionaly. This may have been great advice 30-40 years ago, but unfortunately is no longer applicable to todays dating world, coupled with the fact that attractive women tend to all want to shoot for their stars, chasing top 15-20% of available men (see hypergamy), and such advice lands you ntohing but assured failure with the opposite sex. PUA creates a way for young men who were raised with this type of nonsense to bridge the gap. It tells them to treat women as equals, give respect when respect is due and forget about gift/compliment showering nonsense or white knighthood. It teaches socialy awkward young men to get out there and put themselves in a position to let women in their immediate surroundings to seduce them. Its actualy quite a positive movement, for both men and women, but most have no idea or intellectual curiousity to learn that. Men who are naturaly charming and good with women, have no reason to subscribe to it, and many men (including myself) disagree with some methods used (negging - even though its extremely effective, one liners, peacocking etc etc) so there is some to debate to be had. But to say that PUA simply does not work, is nothing short of moronic.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:54 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Why is that a problem? If it works for you, use it. No need to spend time defending it on an internet forum. Go out and pick up some girls!
I have a girlfriend and I don't need majority of it bexause I've never actually had problems with women . I just defend it to defend a point and topic that's beaten to death by people who don't have a clue what they're talking about.

There are things that can help anyone though and I simply don't deny there being good information out there

Old 06-14-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I have a girlfriend and I don't need majority of it bexause I've never actually had problems with women .
Then it worked for you. Congrats. I'd expect you to be secure in that.

Quote:
I just defend it to defend a point and topic that's beaten to death by people who don't have a clue what they're talking about.
You doth protest too much, methinks.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:23 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Then it worked for you. Congrats. I'd expect you to be secure in that.

You doth protest too much, methinks.
As I said, I defend it because I am annoyed by stupid people who make outrageous remarks that aren't true. I don't care that much about PUA, I just think it can be beneficial to guys who need it. As I said I never needed much help from it but there are good points anyone can take

Old 06-14-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
2:01: Turned down. She's so freaked out and amazed that eventually, because he WILL NOT let go of her, she invites him to go to a place where there will be lots of people instead. Yeah, he sure got laid that night.

2:37: Woman narrowly escapes of to the right after he finally lets her go. She has nervously been saying "you're funny, you're funny" over and over again up until that point with her lower body pointed away from him as he's pawing all over her.

2:49: He finally puts the woman down and of course immediately the shot turns off so you can't see her getting away...if she pawed him in return I'm approximately 1000% sure they'd have continued the shot at least long enough to show that.

2:58: She hits his hand and DOESN'T lean into him to continue it, she really means that slap but she's freaked out and embarrassed, like most of the women so far in this video except the one very early on who he's sloppily kissing while she rocks all over the place...nope, she's not drunk as hell.

3:02: He's kissing her and she grips his hand not to pull him closer but to push it away, you see that a second later. At 3:07 she again tries to somehow politely get away but he grabs her again. At 3:20 he's finally putting her down and she isn't leaning into him and laughing, she's grinning with instinctive chimp-like nervousness and readjusting her clothes downward...certainly not upward! Oh sure, score. Much later I *think* he's leading her to a cab, she must have given in to at least going somewhere else. No indication that where they're going is off to get laid, I'm pretty sure they'd have included that. But who knows.

3:35: She does seem interested. Thank God, maybe he at least got this one to stick around for a few minutes so fewer women with higher standards weren't subjected to his grabbing them, forcing them to kiss them and throwing them into the air. Notice we don't get his answer to "So what are you doing tonight?" though.

After that, the dude starts talking in his odd whiny voice to a whole crowd and I shut things off at that time.

Score!
I noticed all of these things, too. I think what happens is that the type of guys who are lacking in social skills, and therefore tempted to buy into this approach, tend to not pick up on subtleties of communication, particularly from women. That means they're not likely to notice the things you pointed out in this video, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships