Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 02:34 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Whether it's acceptable or not is besides the point. We can debate that all day long....fact is these days surveillance is everywhere and you need to assume you're not alone unless you're in your house. Even then with nanny cams, key loggers, and gps trackers you can't be too sure.
Or roving "artists" who think it's okay to peer into your windows with their cameras and take pictures of you in your own dang home.

NYC Tribeca Residents Enraged Over Photos They Claim Violate Their Privacy - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 02:45 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
I'm curious how the folks who are defending the woman in this scenario would feel if every single post they ever contributed to this site and all others, were suddenly made for public consumption. That is, somehow your identity is leaked and someone links all of your posts with your photo from your "friends only" profile for all the world to read. It's on Youtube, facebook, maybe someone went so far as to place in ad in the paper or buy some network time on television. Your spouse gets to read them, your kids, your boss, your co-workers, your parents, and the people who may be interviewing you for a much needed job. After all, these websites are open to the public, so what if you conceal your true identity with a catchy username and your profile set to private? Too bad right, you should have thought about every thought, word, and sentiment you shared on a forum.

Remember, it's all over the media now for the world to see:

You posted that you like Latin women with big boobs, good to know, it's now public.

You posted that you like spending an afternoon at the shooting range and you own an arsenal of guns, it's now public.

You posted that your boss is an a-hole, it's now public.

You posted your political beliefs and took some very hard stances, it's now public.

You posted that you are looking for legal advice because of a potential divorce, bankruptcy, or issue with your neighbor, it's now public.

“When it comes to privacy and accountability, people always demand the former for themselves and the latter for everyone else.”
― David Brin

Old 06-17-2013, 02:49 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post

“When it comes to privacy and accountability, people always demand the former for themselves and the latter for everyone else.”
― David Brin
Love it. Time to read some of this guy's stuff.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:53 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
I'm curious how the folks who are defending the woman in this scenario would feel if every single post they ever contributed to this site and all others, were suddenly made for public consumption. That is, somehow your identity is leaked and someone links all of your posts with your photo from your "friends only" profile for all the world to read. It's on Youtube, facebook, maybe someone went so far as to place in ad in the paper or buy some network time on television. Your spouse gets to read them, your kids, your boss, your co-workers, your parents, and the people who may be interviewing you for a much needed job. After all, these websites are open to the public, so what if you conceal your true identity with a catchy username and your profile set to private? Too bad right, you should have thought about every thought, word, and sentiment you shared on a forum.

You posted that you like Latin women with big boobs, good to know, it's now public.

You posted that you like spending an afternoon at the shooting range and you own an arsenal of guns, it's now public.

You posted your political beliefs and took some very hard stances, it's now public.

You posted that you are looking for legal advice because of a potential divorce, bankruptcy, or issue with your neighbor, it's now public.

― David Brin

This is a ubiquitous characterstic for all men so its not much of a revelation.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:54 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Before this thread, did you see it on the media? I didn't.
I saw it somewhere. Can't remember where. It may have been on a radio show like the OP, although delievered mroe as news than anything. Not mainstream media, although I have seen it posted on some local news sites up north as well as Huffington post.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:08 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:

― David Brin
I try not to post anything publicly that I don't want to be public.

I also enjoy a lot of freedom, with no boss and a like-minded SO and friends. They'd pretty much all rep me out the yin-yang if they knew I posted here and read what I write. If my eldest sibling should find out that I've said publicly that she's a domineering, meddling, psychotic beyotch from hell, oh well. She'll have to prove who Lilac is, first, and that I posted with the intent to invade her privacy, identify her publicly, and have malicious intent in terms of wanting what I say to have a direct impact on her life, rather than just griping on a message board under a fake name. And she already knows she's dead to me, anyway.

A lot of people here don't understand the laws of either libel or slander. I don't expect them to. Suffice it to say that what you mention is a bit different than what this woman did--very stupidly because her name is on it and it is very easily traced back to her. There is also apparent malicious intent in that she is holding them up to ridicule in a way that they are easily identified.

When it comes to Internet monikers and things people say under the guise of a screen name, the burden of proof is on the aggrieved. It can be done, but it often requires court orders because most sites will not give up IP info without one, and it requires diligent and well-designed ways of capturing information. If you are truly savvy, know how to lay a trap, and have friends in the right places, you can snag cyberbullies a little more easily, but you really need to know what you're doing.

At any rate, I don't necessarily approve of her methods. However, I would probably enjoy a nice cup of schadenfreude if their wives saw it and took them to the cleaners in divorce.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:38 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
My hat is off to the lady that took the men's photo's and posted them on Face Book. Cheating is bad enough, but bragging about it, and in a public place, is unforgivable. The two talk show hosts, are like most talk show hosts, don't know which end is up. I don't watch news tela-casts anymore, because it is the opinion of the news caster, not actually the news. The news media has slanted the reporting of the news so much that today it is propaganda and nothing more. I've pretty much stopped watching TV.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:19 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post

I also enjoy a lot of freedom, with no boss and a like-minded SO and friends. They'd pretty much all rep me out the yin-yang if they knew I posted here and read what I write. If my eldest sibling should find out that I've said publicly that she's a domineering, meddling, psychotic beyotch from hell, oh well. She'll have to prove who Lilac is, first, and that I posted with the intent to invade her privacy, identify her publicly, and have malicious intent in terms of wanting what I say to have a direct impact on her life, rather than just griping on a message board under a fake name. And she already knows she's dead to me, anyway.

A lot of people here don't understand the laws of either libel or slander. I don't expect them to. Suffice it to say that what you mention is a bit different than what this woman did--very stupidly because her name is on it and it is very easily traced back to her. There is also apparent malicious intent in that she is holding them up to ridicule in a way that they are easily identified.

When it comes to Internet monikers and things people say under the guise of a screen name, the burden of proof is on the aggrieved. It can be done, but it often requires court orders because most sites will not give up IP info without one, and it requires diligent and well-designed ways of capturing information. If you are truly savvy, know how to lay a trap, and have friends in the right places, you can snag cyberbullies a little more easily, but you really need to know what you're doing.

At any rate, I don't necessarily approve of her methods. However, I would probably enjoy a nice cup of schadenfreude if their wives saw it and took them to the cleaners in divorce.
YOU GO GIRL!

Old 06-18-2013, 07:14 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Before this thread, did you see it on the media? I didn't.
Are you kidding? You would gave to have your head in the sand to have missed it!!! It was all over the news and online.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:38 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post

Actually, in context it is not very different at all. I peel someone's photo from their profile on CD, I then copy and paste all of their most revealing posts into a document and then post that individual's photo and posts on a facebook page. I do this simply because I don't agree with their actions or point of view. It catches some momentum and before you know it someone recognizes this person and everything they shared in what they thought was a discussion amongst fellow forum members. In that context it is ethically wrong to do this to someone else. Never mind libel, slander or whether or not it's legal.

I guess I'm just disappointed in the downfall of privacy and how people appoint themselves as some sort of moral police with no regard to how it will affect someone else. All of this candid video taping and photographing is great when you're the person who caught the moment that will make you a big internet celebrity and fulfill your endless need for attention (not you personally ) but somewhere, someone's life is being raked across the coals and turned upside down. It's true that these two individuals are douches, but I'll bet anything the girl who posted their conversation is not perfect. I'm sure she has some secrets she has shared with others and wouldn't want it plastered all over the web by some random bystander. Unless she is perfect, she is a hypocrite and did this out of bitterness and for attention.

See the quote I posted at the end of my last post, it's worth repeating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships