Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 04:15 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times

Advertisements

I know someone who never goes long without a woman all over him. He's an active alcoholic who recently got his umpteenth DUI and no longer drives. He let his car insurance lapse and the car sits in his driveway, so transportation for him is a bus pass and rides from other people.

He was laid off about five years ago in a field that really tanked around that time. He got his full 99 weeks of unemployment and didn't even have to look for a job. (Apparently as a union member in his field, he can wait until the union refers him to a job, which ain't happening in this economy, and to keep his unemployment checks coming he literally phoned it in regularly.) Then when the UE ran out, he went on some disabled veterans (?) program, the VA says he is something like 60% disabled.

Then he got a bigger check when he got on Social Security Disability. He's driven by his hormones and alcohol receptors, and prefers to drink at home because it's way cheaper than bars, but he will hit bars when looking for a woman (ugh). About four years ago he picked up a barfly who had just gotten out of (drug) rehab; she gave up drugs and took up (or increased) drinking, and boom next thing she moved in with him.

She also has not worked in the past four years and she was on SSI which suggests she has very little work history although she's in her 40s. They'd drink all day and then start fighting and about three times a week, either she would storm out (she actually had a beater car) or he would kick her out of his house. He spent a couple weekends in jail for domestic violence while fighting, he had to go through some anger management and AA stuff and now he's on probation for the same.

They finally broke up about a year ago, so he hit the bar again and picked up another woman. She loves him very much but he doesn't love her and is in it for the sex (well duh). He says she's "too emotional" and he can't deal with that. He says he wants to get back with the first and she's lukewarm at best to that idea.

As a drunk, of course, everything is all about him. I suppose that gives him points for having "confidence" but I'm not getting whatever it is that women are falling all over themselves for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 04:18 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times
Default Meh...

Why would anyone care really? But to answer, I know there are women who are attracted to losers. Usually a self esteem problem. Even men lower their standards when they are drunks, they tend to socialize with people deemed below them because they have that one thing in common, being drunk.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:18 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,936,721 times
Do you want to be with either of these two women ?

Old 06-14-2013, 04:21 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,234,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I know someone who never goes long without a woman all over him. He's an active alcoholic who recently got his umpteenth DUI and no longer drives. He let his car insurance lapse and the car sits in his driveway, so transportation for him is a bus pass and rides from other people.

He was laid off about five years ago in a field that really tanked around that time. He got his full 99 weeks of unemployment and didn't even have to look for a job. (Apparently as a union member in his field, he can wait until the union refers him to a job, which ain't happening in this economy, and to keep his unemployment checks coming he literally phoned it in regularly.) Then when the UE ran out, he went on some disabled veterans (?) program, the VA says he is something like 60% disabled.

Then he got a bigger check when he got on Social Security Disability. He's driven by his hormones and alcohol receptors, and prefers to drink at home because it's way cheaper than bars, but he will hit bars when looking for a woman (ugh). About four years ago he picked up a barfly who had just gotten out of (drug) rehab; she gave up drugs and took up (or increased) drinking, and boom next thing she moved in with him.

She also has not worked in the past four years and she was on SSI which suggests she has very little work history although she's in her 40s. They'd drink all day and then start fighting and about three times a week, either she would storm out (she actually had a beater car) or he would kick her out of his house. He spent a couple weekends in jail for domestic violence while fighting, he had to go through some anger management and AA stuff and now he's on probation for the same.

They finally broke up about a year ago, so he hit the bar again and picked up another woman. She loves him very much but he doesn't love her and is in it for the sex (well duh). He says she's "too emotional" and he can't deal with that. He says he wants to get back with the first and she's lukewarm at best to that idea.

As a drunk, of course, everything is all about him. I suppose that gives him points for having "confidence" but I'm not getting whatever it is that women are falling all over themselves for.
It shouldnt be too hard for you to find a woman like that too. Go for it!

Old 06-14-2013, 04:22 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,590 times
Birds of a feather flock together...who else would want either one of them?

Old 06-14-2013, 04:25 PM

52,204 posts, read 52,636,749 times
He's not exactly pulling down top notch women, is he????

If you drop your standards you can achieve a lot.... LOL

Old 06-14-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Do you want to be with either of these two women ?

#1 NFW
#2 No

Old 06-14-2013, 04:54 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,936,721 times
Quote:
#1 NFW
#2 No
OK, then. That's how he gets women.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
It shouldnt be too hard for you to find a woman like that too. Go for it!

The first one makes me cringe. In my experience and observation, bottom fishing yields lousy results, it's not worth it. kinda like jumping out of the frying pan with a high risk of landing in the fire, and i'm risk-averse.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:06 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,828,610 times
Quote:

Losers find losers? This has been happening for 1,000's of years? I see nothing strange about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships