Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 05:18 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times

Advertisements

i've said it in the past on these threads, it's how you say it. As long as you put some thought into what you say and not come off as a pervert, I think a lot of women won't freak out.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 PM

620 posts, read 1,300,327 times
I think the more passive the compliment, the easier it is to accept. I believe those compliments that have the veiled message that a woman should do something in response to the male's attention are the bothersome ones.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:02 PM

855 posts, read 1,384,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
OP, I glad that you received great responses to your compliments. But when women receive compliments, the compliments are often followed by lewd comments and unwanted attention. And other times men simply think that its an "invitation" if we are overly appreciative of the attention. It really is a very fine line but I am glad that you received positive results from your observations and comments.
Presentation is key and I do understand that. Interesting when the "invitation" premise is the subject. I don't think it's a permission slip to expect a date and more. Not at all. I've had women ask me later on why I didn't ask for their contact info after finishing the conversation.

I'm just glad that some women aren't creeped out when both parties make polite eye contact, smile and engage in short conversation.

Not all conversations start, continue and end with a compliment. At least I hope they don't.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:03 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
I've always said that compliments don't offend me. I think they're nice and I kind of don't get women who think they're not. I just think everyone has different sensitivities. There are things I'm super sensitive about that other women could care less about.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:12 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnblack View Post
Presentation is key and I do understand that. Interesting when the "invitation" premise is the subject. I don't think it's a permission slip to expect a date and more. Not at all. I've had women ask me later on why I didn't ask for their contact info after finishing the conversation.

I'm just glad that some women aren't creeped out when both parties make polite eye contact, smile and engage in short conversation.

Not all conversations start, continue and end with a compliment. At least I hope they don't.
That probably shows in your presentation and is probably why you've gotten good responses, then.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:41 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,004 times
Smile, feet, hair, I was close, I thought it would be hair, eyes and smile... all safe to compliment.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:41 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
How dreadful

Old 06-17-2013, 11:07 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,638,531 times
Perhaps you lucked out especially since in your perception the compliments weren't crude and didn't come with followup unwanted attention. As well as you stated you don't think compliment is a permission slip for an invitation thereby eliminating the whole if she accepts he thinks it's an invitation. A compliment with no strings and unwanted attention followup will likely appeal to many gals.

I doubt guys commenting on gals looks is natural behavior by guys more likely it's socially conditioned behavior supported by the freedom of speech and male belief that their attention is always wanted and should be appreciated.

Mod cut: Off topic.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-19-2013 at 02:16 PM..

Old 06-17-2013, 11:13 PM

855 posts, read 1,384,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Smile, feet, hair, I was close, I thought it would be hair, eyes and smile... all safe to compliment.

Feet. It's a tricky, tricky compliment.

You would think the proudest woman showing off a nice, fresh pedicure wouldn't be creeped out by an honest guy who notices and pays a compliment. Not always the case which is why I truly believe in eye contact first before I speak a word. Sometimes the strangest things can happen though, in a funny but good way.

One spring a hot mom and her two 20-something daughters who just got their toes done came into the store I was working(mom had the best toes BTW). I couldn't resist a compliment when they walked through my zone. All three ladies took it very well and we all had a good laugh for a couple of minutes.

From that point on, they were routine in showing up at my work, in my area, that whole summer sporting their latest colours and nail art!

Go figure, one well placed, well timed compliment got me a summers worth of toe-candy lol!

Wonder if mom and her daughters knew what they were doing? Hmmmmmh.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:12 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
It's all in the approach, tone, and context that you deliver the compliment. You went about it the right way and contrary to popular opinion, they actually appreciated the compliment. If you're a clean cut, good looking guy, the compliment was likely to be well received versus some random slob shouting out something lewd. Or, the creepy stalker who follows women around in a store and doesn't say anything, just stares and then may or may not awkwardly drop a compliment on her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships