Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:04 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Ignorant assumption on his part that there is alimony being paid...you know, because in every divorce, the man gets screwed and has to pay alimony.
Not necessarily the alimony part, but if there are kids involved, chances are the man is getting screwed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 08:09 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Nothing in common? You just said you had a son. Granted, he's out on his own, but there's never an issue where you guys might need to talk a bit? Must be an interesting scenario for the son.
No, there has been nothing we've needed to discuss about him. We each talk with him. He's well adjusted, in a great relationship, and has a successful career already. We have no need to talk to each other at this time.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Not necessarily the alimony part, but if there are kids involved, chances are the man is getting screwed.
The OP said the man has no children and GKMC replied that it must be awful to send a cheque every month to someone you hate...

Old 06-19-2013, 08:12 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,282,640 times
Yes.
And you don't know how painful that is for me to say that. It saddens me greatly to see the person she became (cold and mean) after we broke up. I don't understand mental illness but whatever. She's history and I wish I could get at least some of those years back.

I have heard that term used before.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:12 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanNature View Post
A friend at work was talking about his ex wife and he said "she is dead to me!" What an interesting choice of words! While the ex wife is not dead in a physical sense and she only lives a few miles away, because the divorce was so tough my friend is coping by acting like the ex wife does not even exist. He has no children with her and no reason to interact, so he has blanked out all memories and feelings for his ex wife. He said he acts like the marriage of five years never happened.

Do you think it is a good idea to act like a person who you were so much in love with at one time and you shared so much together just does not exist? Is your ex "dead to you"?
To me a reaction like that tells me they're not "over it". If someone you dislike provokes a strong comment from you like that, there may be unresolved feelings that need to be sorted out and moved on from. The opposite of love is indifference, not hate.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:17 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanNature View Post
A friend at work was talking about his ex wife and he said "she is dead to me!" What an interesting choice of words! While the ex wife is not dead in a physical sense and she only lives a few miles away, because the divorce was so tough my friend is coping by acting like the ex wife does not even exist. He has no children with her and no reason to interact, so he has blanked out all memories and feelings for his ex wife. He said he acts like the marriage of five years never happened.

Do you think it is a good idea to act like a person who you were so much in love with at one time and you shared so much together just does not exist? Is your ex "dead to you"?
I haven't spoken to him in 6 years, so even though he's alive, I suppose technically he's dead to me. Not a big deal, as I don't particularly care.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:18 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,740 times
My ex was abusive and yes he is certainly dead to me. Once our child turned 18 that was it for him. So glad I never have to speak to or see him again in this life.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:19 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
I've come to an interesting point. No longer angry or filled with hate. No, I will not be friends win her. I'm indifferent towards her. I am at a good place in life with a wife who makes being married worthwhile and rewarding. I've acceptd the past, I'm glad it is behind me.

I am indifferent towards my ex.

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
They should stop fooling themselves. Love is forever. My first love of thirty years ago passed away recently...I had some contact with her by phone once in a while- Even though were were not together for all that time- I wept bitterly when I was notified that she had died. Because - good or bad - I loved her...My last wife of 27 years does not reside with me...she lives a few blocks away - She is the mother of my four kids so there is a bond...She was never a loyal person - and brought about some misery...BUT - I love her...she is not "dead to me"..When I visit we always part with a kiss.....People might have their differences and personalities may clash but love is forever...if someone says they have "fallen out of love" it means they never loved you to begin with.

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
The OP said the man has no children and GKMC replied that it must be awful to send a cheque every month to someone you hate...
I know. I was just responding to this:

Quote:
Ignorant assumption on his part that there is alimony being paid...you know, because in every divorce, the man gets screwed and has to pay alimony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships