U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:37 PM

25,362 posts, read 24,151,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Also, not to get all racial in here, but the problem I see in a lot of these discussions is that they assume every guy is a white dude. By and large, black and Latino guys are much more accepting of heavier women.

And furthermore, the blanket "overweight" term is very vague. Differences in body type/shape mean that individual women can look very different when they're heavy.
Being around a lot of Latino men, I think this is probably true.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:39 PM

667 posts, read 794,653 times
I'm a white guy ladies.

I like some meat on ya.

If you are skinny...at least have some curves.

I look at how you wear it in each and every case.

You can't put a pretty face on an ugly skinny chick. lol

Old 06-19-2013, 08:40 PM

9,665 posts, read 8,313,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Being around a lot of Latino men, I think this is probably true.
I grew up surrounded by Latinos in Miami, my male Latino friends don't really like what's considered overweight for most American women. They like the chest and the rump, but that stomach better be flat.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I grew up surrounded by Latinos in Miami, my male Latino friends don't really like what's considered overweight for most American women. They like the chest and the rump, but that stomach better be flat.
Hmmm, I see an awful lot of Latino guys around here going for overweight women. I definitely don't see any demands that the stomach be flat...of course these are just your observations and mine. It's not like they're scientifically formulated or anything.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:45 PM

6,108 posts, read 6,201,008 times
Good for them. As long as they are both happy, it's nobody's business what they see in each other. I don't think the article is promoting obesity or saying we should accept it. We shouldn't. However, there's no reason to shame people and make them feel like sh*t about themselves. Fat people know they are fat. Snide comments from others don't do anything to help the situation. Why is this so hard for some people to understand?

Old 06-19-2013, 08:45 PM

2,224 posts, read 2,866,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
That's Miami though, little bit of a different culture there.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:52 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,586,216 times
Quote:
^ Also, this attitude of forgiveness of overweight in men (at least up to a point) is part of why more men than women in the U.S. are overweight, and far more men than women are overweight in some other countries (the UK, for example).

So yeah, when we say it's all about health, etc., no, it's not 100% about health. Some of it is simply our outrage that "our" women refuse to be beautiful in this particular way; it's almost seen as an affront to some people.

Kinda bizarre but I guess it is what it is. I'm not trying to change the world, just interpreting the girl's motives in writing the piece.

Overweight absolutely is a health issue, no doubt about that. But I don't think this is what this article is getting at. It was looking at the emotional/social side of the coin.
Maybe I should differentiate between overweight and obese. Unfortunately that girl is not pleasantly plump, packing a few extra pounds...she's obese. That's a serious health concern and she should be doing what she can to get down to a healthier weight(and she stated that she will be trying to lose weight). And why is it such a sore point that most men openly state they aren't too keen on that sort of thing? This woman is not "refusing" to be beautiful in a particular way. She has a weight problem(which she acknowledges) and I doubt she gained that weight to make a statement on standards of beauty.

As far as more men being overweight? I'm "technically" overweight. My BMI is around 26 or 27 yet I'm 6' with a 33 in waist and 42 in chest. Now I could use some toning up but no one in their right mind would consider me fat(although I sometimes feel that way and I blame my chubby childhood for my paranoia). Men aren't being "forgiven" for being fat. If anything, the obsession with male body image is quickly catching up with female body image. And it's much harder to obtain the "ideal" male body type than the ideal female body type.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
If anything, the obsession with male body image is quickly catching up with female body image. And it's much harder to obtain the "ideal" male body type than the ideal female body type.
Well, no. It's pretty much the direct opposite. A (healthy) man naturally has more muscle v. fat than a (healthy) woman, which means men burn more calories just sitting there than women do. Men's hormones exist in ratios and interact in specific ways for the development of muscle with even minimal exertion. Men also don't experience extreme hormonal changes comparable to a menstrual period or pregnancy. In addition, men's bone density is greater/their bones weigh more, so a man carrying around a 150-lb. frame has automatic weight resistance (and more calorie burning) than a woman carrying around a 150-lb. frame.

In addition, men are not biologically set up to retain fat the way women are. Obviously we're not biologically set up to be obese, I'm not saying that. But the female body, from its very structure (muscle percentage) to the hormones involved, encourages the retention of weight on the assumption that at some point, the woman may need to carry a pregnancy and may be out of commission for a period of time afterward, hence making it harder for her to procure food.

It is much easier for a man to lose weight and "tone up" than it is for a woman to lose weight and "tone up."

Yet we're still the thinner sex...

We must be trying harder. Kind of puts the whole "women are fat because they're just not trying" theory in the pot!

Old 06-19-2013, 09:08 PM

2,224 posts, read 2,866,931 times
Quote:
Well, no. It's pretty much the direct opposite. A (healthy) man naturally has more muscle v. fat than a (healthy) woman, which means men burn more calories just sitting there than women do. Men's hormones exist in ratios and interact in specific ways for the development of muscle with even minimal exertion. Men also don't experience extreme hormonal changes comparable to a menstrual period or pregnancy. In addition, men's bone density is greater/their bones weigh more, so a man carrying around a 150-lb. frame has automatic weight resistance (and more calorie burning) than a woman carrying around a 150-lb. frame.

In addition, men are not biologically set up to retain fat the way women are. Obviously we're not biologically set up to be obese, I'm not saying that. But the female body, from its very structure (muscle percentage) to the hormones involved, encourages the retention of weight on the assumption that at some point, the woman may need to carry a pregnancy and may be out of commission for a period of time afterward, hence making it harder for her to procure food.

It is much easier for a man to lose weight and "tone up" than it is for a woman to lose weight and "tone up."

We must be trying harder. Kind of puts the whole "women are fat because they're just not trying" theory in the pot!
Excellent post.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:20 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,586,216 times
Quote:

When did I say that? I don't believe I ever declared the war on fat women you think I'm currently waging. It's late. I have to work in the morning. Thus, I'm not about to engage in a ridiculous argument because of your warped sense of what most men find as attractive. We usually aren't attracted to anemic models but we also don't go for women build like that blogger. A relatively healthy lifestyle will prevent you from either extreme. God forbid anybody, male or female, practice moderation or take some responsibility for their own health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or