Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 10:21 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Perhaps so, but I think the MBTI is a very limited model of the personality, and therefore I think people are unnecessarily limiting themselves when they use it to pick a job or a mate ...
I wouldn't use it to pick a job or mate either. There is more to personality than thinking styles, and even more to relationships than personalities.

But I think Jung's theory has a lot of insight into human psychology & that's all MBTI is based on (a system using his theory). I DO see a clear tie between thinking styles/mindset & visible personality. It seems rather obvious, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 10:29 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Profiles of the 16 Myers Briggs Personality Types | PersonalityDesk

I'm a ENTJ.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:56 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Perhaps so, but I think the MBTI is a very limited model of the personality, and therefore I think people are unnecessarily limiting themselves when they use it to pick a job or a mate ...
Ah, I see your problem. You are incorrectly seeing a limitation because you assume people use it to PICK a job or a mate.

On the contrary, it is used as just ONE more tool to help choose a mate, and while it can be very helpful, it is rarely if ever the deciding factor. And one does not use it to PICK a job, one uses it to communicate more effectively in the job you have.

I used it as a filter, like I used smoking as a filter - and occasionally, there were exceptions.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:44 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,739,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboundVA View Post
At first there was a bit but it gradually went to zero. We spent a lot of time together due to the circumstances of the time so in effect we friendzoned each other while in the relationship if that makes sense.

You might be an unusual INTP, from what I know about it, because most tend to be more reserved especially publicly in relations to sexuality, which is how I am. I had a hard time for a while with the matter privately, which was awkward at first, but I matured that deficiency with people who were more receptive to options. Also, when I get involved with someone I tend to fall hard and fall fast, and I'm still trying to figure out why. I'm not an emotional guy at all, purely analytical and logical, but once someone enters my romantic life I become giddy as a schoolgirl.

i think i'm primarily intp, but my secondary type may be istp. ISTPs are supposed to be good at drawing people in that they like if they want to. but i'm still mostly an intp, so not that great with people i don't know. i often make early dating or the pick up into a social game. but i know what you mean about falling to hard and fast sometimes. i have to watch out for that or i will act too stupid or needy. that tend to give the effect of repelling women early on. i think the remedy is to stay busy socially or date more than one at a time, when it's not serious.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I usually like INTPs for friends because we're often both obsessed with theories & abstractions & enjoy intellectual stuff (such as Jungian theory, an obsession of mine, which includes MBTI stuff). But they can be too argumentative for my tastes. They seem to think they are being "objective" when they're really loaded with bias & just being dismissive. It doesn't strike me as logical so much as close-minded & rude. But I emphasize that I mostly like them & certainly would date a hot one .

I'm INFP, BTW.

I've read that INTPs & INFPs are the types least likely to marry or tend to marry much later in life than most (the same is not true for INJ types). Either we're disinterested or we find it hard to find a partner which suits us. I'm the latter, but I see many INTPs somewhat disinterested in romance.
i see what you are saying. i try not to do this. sometimes it's better just to be quiet or at least support people to not offend them or hurt their feelings by saying what i really think. some people can have fragile egos or insecurities and it's better not to make them feel bad. i've read that it's really hard to put down an intp, because we'll just get analytical about it and consider if what they said is true or not. someone may call me a dork and i think, "that's true" but most people are more emotional

Old 06-22-2013, 06:13 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,810,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post

I just finished the third question on the quiz. So far, my answers have all been: Not sure.

I don't think I'm going to have very good results.

ETA: Okay, so I'm either ESTP or ESFP or ENTP or ENFP.

I'm E-something-something-P. There you have it.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
I just finished the third question on the quiz. So far, my answers have all been: Not sure.

I don't think I'm going to have very good results.

ETA: Okay, so I'm either ESTP or ESFP or ENTP or ENFP.

I'm E-something-something-P. There you have it.
That's ok, mine says I'm a leader. Lol.
Not really.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:45 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,810,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
That's ok, mine says I'm a leader. Lol.
Not really.
Yeah, the options are Dynamo, Performer, Champion or Visionary. This went as badly as trying to read my astrological sign. It's like trying to find the picture in the hidden picture patterns. I don't see a damn thing.

If my personality is in there, I sure don't recognize myself. It all sounds so vague.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:52 PM

Maybe it's difficult to know what your type is, because it's based on opposites. So if you are close to half way between introverted and extroverted, for example, then you may fit 2 types. And if you also half way between Feeling and Thinking you can be 4 types. I don't think that's a bad thing.

I can also alternate between intuition and sensing. Most of the time i'm more intuitive, but sometimes i'm all sensing, where i'm thinking about physical things mainly and paying attention to how things look, how they work and how they are made. An INTP is the Thinker and an ISTP is a Mechanic. I just lean more INTP. I think it's very useful to be both.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Maybe it's difficult to know what your type is, because it's based on opposites. So if you are close to half way between introverted and extroverted, for example, then you may fit 2 types. And if you also half way between Feeling and Thinking you can be 4 types. I don't think that's a bad thing.

I can also alternate between intuition and sensing. Most of the time i'm more intuitive, but sometimes i'm all sensing, where i'm thinking about physical things mainly and paying attention to how things look, how they work and how they are made. An INTP is the Thinker and an ISTP is a Mechanic. I just lean more INTP. I think it's very useful to be both.
You are also rare. You see outside the box.May like poetry and understand symbols. Johnny Depp has this personality. And you are my opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships