Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 11:43 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Oh sure I bypassed a lot of men (some I regret), but when I did online I did get very upset when men my age bypassed me. If they had bypassed me because they didn't like me I wouldn't have care but the age thing really annoyed me. It upset me quite a bit when they would say "you have a message" and almost always it was a man 55 and up.
Just keep saying no, eventually they'll get it.

And again, it really isn't a case of fair v. unfair, etc. (regarding some of your comments in posts above this one). It's probably "unfair" of me that the thought of sex with a 60-year-old man makes me squick and want to just run into a cave somewhere and hide. But it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 11:45 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well yeah, this phenomenon (lower sperm motility and lesser sperm quality) is true (and has been documented clinically since the 1940s) and just recently sperm produced by older men has been linked to neurological issues such as autism and ADHD.

I think both men and women should be aware of this, at least if they're directly planning on having children.

It probably doesn't have much bearing on the actual attraction/lack of attraction from either side but it's worthy of note in general.
There have been more and more studies and one of the latest I think is that many birth defects are affected by the sperm than the egg. I found that fascinating and if that proves to be true that sperm age is more important than egg age I think it may change some ideas men have (or I hope). Wouldn't it be funny if women started rejecting men their age because of this and started approaching younger men? not likely but would be a weird thing to see. I know women do approach younger men but not as much as men do to women (at least I haven't seen it as much).

Old 06-24-2013, 11:47 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
Quote:
Just keep saying no, eventually they'll get it.

And again, it really isn't a case of fair v. unfair, etc. (regarding some of your comments in posts above this one). It's probably "unfair" of me that the thought of sex with a 60-year-old man makes me squick and want to just run into a cave somewhere and hide. But it is what it is.
Eventually they did but it got frustrating because at times that was all the messages I had. I have no doubt it's because of my age, because I never had this problem when I did online dating years ago. But yep the idea of having sex with a man old enough to be my dad makes me sick.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
There have been more and more studies and one of the latest I think is that many birth defects are affected by the sperm than the egg. I found that fascinating and if that proves to be true that sperm age is more important than egg age I think it may change some ideas men have (or I hope). Wouldn't it be funny if women started rejecting men their age because of this and started approaching younger men? not likely but would be a weird thing to see. I know women do approach younger men but not as much as men do to women (at least I haven't seen it as much).
I don't believe I've seen any studies that state sperm quality is more responsible for birth defects than egg quality and I doubt that's true, TBH.

We are born with only a certain amount of immature eggs and they themselves age, in addition to the carrier of them aging and the hormones therefore being non-optimal to produce a healthy egg. With men, because "fresh" sperm are continuously created they only have that one factor, the aging and hormones of the carrier/producer himself. Yes, this means an older man's sperm has a higher chance of producing a child with birth defects but for him it's only the single factor (the producer himself aging).

At this point I don't care who has stellar sperm since I'm done with all that. I'm just interested in what I'm attracted to in men. Totally freeing.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:53 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times
Quote:
From what I've seen many men do date younger right after a divorce because they aren't looking for a serious relationship. This makes sense.

Quote:
I just don't understand that mindset. Aren't there plenty of horny-as-hell divorced ladies their own age, or is it just that those women aren't enough of an egotistical security blanket for them???
Men over 40 get a LOT of social pressure from other men to date younger. And they may not talk to women friends about the subject, so they don't realise what a turn-off it is to women of all ages.

I think there is a 'habit' factor, too. When I first broke up with my hubby, and once I was ready to date again, I found my eye drawn to men who were the age I was when I was last dating -- ten years earlier.

My eye would skip right over men my own age. I had to consciously retrain myself by, when I noticed some guy was hot, forcing myself to estimate his age, then telling myself, 'too young', and then look back over the room or wherever I was and specifically look for guys my own age.

Heck, I still do this, many years post-divorce . I know now from experience that I do not actually want a relationship with a man in his late 20s, no matter how mature for his age he is.

Guy friends I have talked to have had very similar experiences, with the pre-marriage age habits, and the trying it and finding it doesn't work, and the learning through experience that they can only have a satisfying relationship with someone their own age.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post

Men over 40 get a LOT of social pressure from other men to date younger. And they may not talk to women friends about the subject, so they don't realise what a turn-off it is to women of all ages.

I think there is a 'habit' factor, too. When I first broke up with my hubby, and once I was ready to date again, I found my eye drawn to men who were the age I was when I was last dating -- ten years earlier.

My eye would skip right over men my own age. I had to consciously retrain myself by, when I noticed some guy was hot, forcing myself to estimate his age, then telling myself, 'too young', and then look back over the room or wherever I was and specifically look for guys my own age.

Heck, I still do this, many years post-divorce . I know now from experience that I do not actually want a relationship with a man in his late 20s, no matter how mature for his age he is.

Guy friends I have talked to have had very similar experiences, with the pre-marriage age habits, and the trying it and finding it doesn't work, and the learning through experience that they can only have a satisfying relationship with someone their own age.
You know, that (the bolded) is very interesting.

I definitely get an "oh, he is hot" feeling from some significantly younger men (just as young women are cute and sexy, young men are cute and sexy!), I just wouldn't consider approaching them (if I were single). Just wouldn't be for me and I may just come off as an old lech. But really just because it wouldn't be for me to date significantly younger or older. Not enough to relate to.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
It's probably "unfair" of me that the thought of sex with a 60-year-old man makes me squick and want to just run into a cave somewhere and hide. But it is what it is.
Quote:
... yep the idea of having sex with a man old enough to be my dad makes me sick.
I think those are perfectly normal feelings at our age. But I think when we are 60 ourselves we will feel differently .

Old 06-24-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
We are born with only a certain amount of immature eggs and they themselves age, in addition to the carrier of them aging and the hormones therefore being non-optimal to produce a healthy egg. With men, because "fresh" sperm are continuously created they only have that one factor, the aging and hormones of the carrier/producer himself.
Actually, IIRC, recent research has shown the egg thing to be a myth.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I think those are perfectly normal feelings at our age. But I think when we are 60 ourselves we will feel differently .
Yes! This, exactly! It's not the specific age itself that turns me off, it's the extreme difference, even to the "style" in which people talk, exhibit themselves, etc. when they're from a different generation. They don't think they do...but they do. A 46-year-old's unconscious actions and traits say, "Hey, we may have gone to school together." A 65-year-old's unconscious actions and traits say, "Hey, I might have played poker with your dad, and boy howdy but did we put the 'sexy' in polyester suits." Ohhhh no, just...no.

No amount of "I'm young at heart and by the way, I LOVE Muse** and Pink" will change that, it's a part of whom (who? can't remember the grammar) we are...how we grew up, the people we were surrounded by, etc.

So when I'm 60, I'm pretty sure I'll no longer squick at the thought of sex with a 60-year-old.

** p.s. I do love Muse, BTW, LOL.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Actually, IIRC, recent research has shown the egg thing to be a myth.
What, that we're only born with a certain amount of immature eggs/egg precursors?

Totally fascinating, do you have any info?

I heart me some new science. (Geek...geek...geek alert...sirens blaring, lights flashing)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships