Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 09:11 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,640 times

Advertisements

As I get older I'm finding that I have a hard time being alone. When I'm not in a relationship, I usually feel like I should be doing something, accomplishing something, moving towards something. I wouldn't say I'm a "relationship hopper", but I typically am in a relationship more often than not.

I'm newly single, working full-time and in school part-time, and I go out with friends every other week. I exercise regularly, my health is great, I keep my life in order...but to me it feels like it's "not enough".

In high school and college I was very much a social butterfly and I felt energized by that. Alone time was very rare for me. I enjoyed always having something to do, somewhere to go. Now I find myself longing for that college environment, where all your friends are right there and there's so much happening at any given moment. But realistically I know the adult world is just not like that.

Anyone else have a hard time with being alone, feeling like you have to do more, more, more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 09:21 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
I go through cycles. Unbearable, bearable, unbearable, bearable, etc. I am slightly introverted though. I'm guessing extroverts have a harder time with too much alone time. Most of my friends can not stand being alone (by alone, I mean, not in a relationship) and are never alone.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:33 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times
I don't like being alone, even though I'm introverted. I can see it being tougher for an extrovert. Then again, an extrovert can go meet people (maybe not a mate) anytime. I, on the other hand, sit at home alone on a Saturday night wishing I was not only in a relationship, but married. Yeah, I hate it.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I don't like being alone, even though I'm introverted. I can see it being tougher for an extrovert.
It's funny because I've always considered myself an equal mix of introvert/extrovert. But I think my extroverted side is winning

Old 06-22-2013, 09:38 PM

65 posts, read 89,393 times
You're not use to being alone again. Give your self time to acclimate to your new found freedom.
What ever you do don't jump into another relationship.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:41 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
It didn't take me long before I was back on the hedonic treadmill after being in a relationship. I guess, I have many goals in life I wanted to achieve, with or without a committed partner.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:56 PM

432 posts, read 1,228,435 times
It's Human nature to be sociable. If you keep jumping from one relationship to another I think that you may need to work on your inner feelings instead of relying on another person to make you feel comfortable with your life.

We all get lonely. How we spend that alone time is the important aspect.

Have you ever done an "alone" hobby or interest? Like painting, writing, making crafts, tinkering with cars, setting that goal to work towards running a marathon, etc? Something that you are interested in may make those times when no one else is around more enjoyable and give you feelings of accomplishments.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:57 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
As I get older I'm finding that I have a hard time being alone. When I'm not in a relationship, I usually feel like I should be doing something, accomplishing something, moving towards something. I wouldn't say I'm a "relationship hopper", but I typically am in a relationship more often than not.

I'm newly single, working full-time and in school part-time, and I go out with friends every other week. I exercise regularly, my health is great, I keep my life in order...but to me it feels like it's "not enough".

In high school and college I was very much a social butterfly and I felt energized by that. Alone time was very rare for me. I enjoyed always having something to do, somewhere to go. Now I find myself longing for that college environment, where all your friends are right there and there's so much happening at any given moment. But realistically I know the adult world is just not like that.

Anyone else have a hard time with being alone, feeling like you have to do more, more, more?

Nope, I have always been quite content with or without a relationship. I have never depended on anyone else to fulfill my life so it has never been an issue with me. I also never increased anything I normally did because I was busy enough without adding anything additional.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:03 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
As a borderline introvert, I yearn less for constant companionship that for the comforting feeling that somebody out there cares for me, not merely through politeness or professional association or shared interests, but genuine fondness; and presumably I'd reciprocate in kind. That feeling, I think, is accentuated shortly after leaving a long-term relationship. Obviously, the longer the relationship, the longer it takes to unwind one's erstwhile self-conceptualization as half of a couple, resuming the role of an autonomous individual. This is not to imply that a close relationship obliterates the self - certainly it should not! But it does mean that driving alone, dining alone, traveling alone, and yes, sleeping alone, requires a substantial mental readjustment. While memory of the former relationship is fresh, it's almost incomprehensible how to behold oneself as this new, solitary entity. Yet I wonder whether in due time the greater danger does not become being too successful as lone-wolf, where one has to adroitly adapted to solitary prowling, that one can't healthily rejoin the pack, as it were, and searching for a new partner becomes problematic.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:19 PM

The more that I think about it, the more I see how this "more, more, more" aspect of my personality seeps into other areas of my life. For example at work, I will see people in higher positions than me and I'll think, "Why am I not there? Why am I not doing what they're doing?" I think that drive is a good thing to have, and maybe it's that I have a lot of energy and desire to have people/places/things to direct that energy towards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships