Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:03 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubt1993 View Post
I have the highest respect for those who serve...I have several uncles who were in the service. I have tried dating military guys, and in every case, the personality differences were insurmountable. Add in the fact that they don't live in one place for all that long (I moved a lot growing up, and I am done with that), and it's just not the type of situation I see for myself. But again, I do have the utmost respect for them.

Frat boys are a different story entirely....every single one I have encountered has been an immature brat with a huge sense of entitlement. Bleh.
Meh, I don't care so much for those who have served. I feel that most who enlist did so for economic reasons/lack of better opportunities in life (which is unfortunate). Also, there's a lot of borderline brain washing IMO that goes on in the military and I detest the very idea of following orders at all costs over thinking about what you are actually ordered to do and whether or not it is right or wrong. And I'm not deluded enough to think that guarding opium fields in Afghanistan is somehow "protecting my freedoms" domestically, all the while big brother is creepin on my facebook page. Yikes, sorry for the derail lol.

About 90% of the frat boys I met in college suffered from a major inferiority complex.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:10 PM

52,245 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I think that once you get into your 30s, it's kind of ridiculous to worry about this, never mind your 40s.
I gotta admit this was my first thought as well. It's like when you get your first major job out of college, after you get some real world work experience, the college you went to and your gpa/sat's don't seem to matter as much.....

Old 06-23-2013, 10:21 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,809,401 times
I dated an Iraq war veteran, and I guess the one quality I admired about him was that he was very disciplined (aside from him serving our country of course). But since I have pretty liberal political views I usually clash with these guys on an intellectual level. Personally I have no preference, but I do find frat boys to be more laid back which is what I like.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:22 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Meh, I don't care so much for those who have served. I feel that most who enlist did so for economic reasons/lack of better opportunities in life (which is unfortunate). Also, there's a lot of borderline brain washing IMO that goes on in the military and I detest the very idea of following orders at all costs over thinking about what you are actually ordered to do and whether or not it is right or wrong. .
As much as I wanted to disagree you, I do notice that you used the word "most". As long as you are not bashing all the military men who served the country, I have no problems with ya.

I can ONLY talk about my own brother and my ex boyfriend. Both of them are from upper middle class. My brother chose the Marine over Medical school. He just wanted to serve the country. Just want to make it very clear.

Before you talk about "borderline brain washing", please watch this video. We don't like wars, civilians can express their opinions about soldiers all day long, they are entitled to their opinions. We as military family has to live in the fear every single day. We just want our brothers, sons, fathers to come home. That is all. Show some support and respect, that is all and ONLY thing we ask for.

The Best Surprise Military Homecomings: PART ONE - YouTube

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-23-2013 at 10:59 PM..

Old 06-23-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Meh, I don't care so much for those who have served. I feel that most who enlist did so for economic reasons/lack of better opportunities in life (which is unfortunate). Also, there's a lot of borderline brain washing IMO that goes on in the military and I detest the very idea of following orders at all costs over thinking about what you are actually ordered to do and whether or not it is right or wrong. And I'm not deluded enough to think that guarding opium fields in Afghanistan is somehow "protecting my freedoms" domestically, all the while big brother is creepin on my facebook page. Yikes, sorry for the derail lol.

About 90% of the frat boys I met in college suffered from a major inferiority complex.
You do know that because of vets who have served through out our history, you are allowed and or privileged to think this way.....try saying something anti-government in the middle east.. see how fast your head gets separated from your neck...... and that isn't a joke...

Old 06-23-2013, 10:27 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
As much as I wanted to disagree you, I do notice that you used the word "most". As long as you are not bashing all the military men who served the country, I have no problems with ya.

I can ONLY talk about my own brother and my ex boyfriend. Both of them are from upper middle class. Both of them wanted to serve the country. Just want to make it very clear.

Before you talk about "borderline brain washing", please watch this video. We don't like wars, civilians can express their opinions about soldiers all day long, they are entitled to their opinions. We as military family has to live in the fear every single day. We just want our brothers, sons, fathers to come home. That is all. Show some support and respect, that is all and ONLY thing we ask for.

The Best Surprise Military Homecomings: PART ONE - YouTube
I don't know why anyone with a family would willingly volunteer themselves to go off to in my view an unnecessary war half a world away. That's borderline irresponsible/unfair to your loved ones in my view. To each their own I guess...

Old 06-23-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I don't know why anyone with a family would willingly volunteer themselves to go off to in my view an unnecessary war half a world away. That's borderline irresponsible/unfair to your loved ones in my view. To each their own I guess...

Indeed.

“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”

― Ronald Reagan

“...It is a proud privilege to be a soldier – a good soldier … [with] discipline, self-respect, pride in his unit and his country, a high sense of duty and obligation to comrades and to his superiors, and a self confidence born of demonstrated ability.”

― George S. Patton Jr.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:39 PM

I've got big ups for the military, might not always be 100% on board with the US policy at times, but I don't want this country to ever replay what we did to the soldiers coming home from Nam.

I think that hasn't happened for the most part, I think America learned it's lesson in that regards.....

Old 06-23-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've got big ups for the military, might not always be 100% on board with the US policy at times, but I don't want this country to ever replay what we did to the soldiers coming home from Nam.

I think that hasn't happened for the most part, I think America learned it's lesson in that regards.....

Old 06-23-2013, 10:48 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,568 times
There are those of us who didn't partake in Greek Culture. I guess we aren't an option, huh?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships