Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:25 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
So, I am recently single after a 3 year relationship. I go out every weekend-bars, sporting events, parties etc. I have been asked about 8 times over the past couple weeks for my number by guys I meet while I am out.

I would say about 3 of the 8 guys actually contacted me. Two actually set up dates and the other lost touch.

Question: Why ask if you have no intention of contacting?
The other 5 were probably just using it as a polite way to blow you off. Worry about the other 3 who did call you back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 09:24 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,742,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I'm guilty of that. Sometimes you do it just to see if you can get the number.

I've done this too. I'm generally reliable outside of these situations. But in the very early stages, including pick up or hook up, I sometimes make it a game to see what I can do. The worst is that if I see that there is competition for a girl, I will try to swoop in and get her, even if I don't really like her. But pretty quickly, I feel guilty, so I can't actually take it so far as to date her.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:30 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
They're just not that into you.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:59 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
If you can't tell if he's serious, tell him he has to pay for the option and hand him an options contract.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:16 AM

382 posts, read 336,747 times
Honestly, you don't know what's going on in their life. Maybe they recently broke up with there GF. The act of asking you for your number was enough for them to miss their Ex.

Some guys like to play mind games and wait a few weeks to contact you. I don't see the point in this.

Of course some guys are just plain chicken to call over the phone (such as myself) I don't know how to talk over the phone I'm awkward.

I'm better in person, once they get your name they look you up on facebook and chat that way..it's easier to communicate that way.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:35 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1987 View Post
Of course some guys are just plain chicken to call over the phone (such as myself) I don't know how to talk over the phone I'm awkward.
Yep. This is a fairly common occurrence. Particularly when alcohol is involved, someone might have the courage to ask for your number, but might not have the courage to call it when they're sober. Of course, these days text messaging should minimize that, though.

Really, any of the potential reasons people listed here are possible. You just can't know. If you have no way to contact them, all you can do is focus on the ones who contacted you. Next time you may want to exchange numbers, so that either person can call or text, rather than one person waiting around for the other.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:39 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
When I was single and looking, I'd go out with my buddies and have some beers, meet girls, etc etc etc.

When ever I asked for a phone number or half the time they just gave me their number, the times I didn't call is after the beer buzz wears off and thinking about it the next day, I found out that I wasn't usually all that physically attracted to them or they had some other thing going on that didn't jive with me.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:53 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
People change their mind, especially when alcohol is involved.
Funny you say this. I remember some woman leaving a couple messages on my phone. I'm not sure if she was trying to sound sexy or not.

I was like, "Who the f___ is this broad?"

I didn't return her call. I figured I must have been drunk or something and gave some strange woman my number.

As for the OP... I've gotten a few women's number before and never called. One I threw away right after I got it from her and she wasn't around to see. I just wanted to see if I could get the number. H__, could have been a fake number.

I would have thought most guys call the numbers they get from women . So, it surprises me that you said that--in post #1. Maybe it was just a coincidence or fluke kind of thing? I dunno.

I only know about me, and chances are if I ask for a number (unless it's a guy and about $$$) I don't want it. And I don't like being asked for my number either. Actually, it really irks me. But I try to be polite and not act like I want to tell them to kick rocks. They may not be meaning any harm.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:23 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
A lot of times, men just ask for numbers for a 'confidence boost' if you will. Its quite possible that those men are in relationships and or married and they just wanted to see if they 'still have game' and that someone other than their wife/GF finds them attractive.
I agree.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:45 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
You appear to assume they had no intention of contacting.

Perhaps they did at the time of the asking - but for some reason decided after the fact not to.

Intentions are not fixed - they change. I could list for the next hour reasons their intentions might have changed and I still would not have scratched the surface of how many there potentially may be.
This thread can probably be closed based off of this comment.
Sometimes things happen in life that make it difficult to make that initial contact. It isn't just a 10 second task, especially the first few contacts.

But OP, getting asked for your number 8 times in three months, and IRL ? You are doing something right.

Using online dating, I have received about 8 numbers from women this year. About half of them don't even respond.

For example: I received a phone number from a woman online. I texted her one evening when I was at a baseball game. It took her about 15 minutes to respond. By the time she responded, there was quite a downpoor of rain, and I had to leave the stadium. Obviously texting or conversation wasn't going to happen in a downpoor. Due to the circumstances, I was unable to follow up until the next day. When I followed up, I received no response. A couple days later, I shot her a message online. It was just a quick hello, sorry about the other night, but I was unable to respond due to the rain and such. She mentioned how she would give me another chance, but she was weary. At that point, I simply stated a another chance wasn't necessary, and good luck on your dating.
I learned that unless I am unable to guarantee my undivided attention to a tex or phone call, it is best to not even reach out. That baseball game was a perfect example. Sometimes situations occur that make it difficult to continue a conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships