Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 06:27 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,100,408 times

Advertisements

Okay. My SO left me and there was another woman involved. I get that. What I don't understand is why men don't say what is wrong, when the problem starts - and why won't they say what went wrong after the breakup (it isn't like it will change anything after the breakup). I have asked repeatedly for answers to no avail.

On another thread started by JerZ, entitled (in part) Husband is trying . . ., she wrote
Quote:
Yes, it's only half the story. I'm sure he has his reasons for having not wanted me/not wanted to be good to me for these past few years but he never says why, he just stalks around, neglects/leaves the room for the night, glares and refuses to give me reasons so I've never known how to fix any of this or how to make him happy.

He certainly must have his reasons but I've never known what they were and I've never known why he has been so adamant about staying together despite whatever they may be.
So, PLEEEEEASE . . . can someone tell me

1. What is going on in a man's head to not speak up until it's too late
2. Why don't they give any reasons for the breakup
3. If it's a two-way street why not tell the other person so they know what they did wrong and can learn from it

Mod comment 06/25/13: People, this can be true for BOTH genders. PLEASE do not post gender-bashing comments. Play nice.
(I've changed the title of the thread from "Why do guys do this?" to "Why do people do this?")

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-25-2013 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 06:41 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,479,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Okay. My SO left me and there was another woman involved. I get that. What I don't understand is why men don't say what is wrong, when the problem starts - and why won't they say what went wrong after the breakup (it isn't like it will change anything after the breakup). I have asked repeatedly for answers to no avail.
Because many people, even many otherwise people, become craven cowards when it comes to dealing with conflict. This is especially true when their own behavior has been less than honorable. Your ex is trying to not have to deal with your negative emotions.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:43 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,827,040 times
It boils down to one word. SELFISH.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:48 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,324,104 times
I would say people do it because they're not being honest.

And sometimes, you will never get all the answers.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:58 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,805,893 times
Quote:

On another thread started by JerZ, entitled (in part) Husband is trying . . ., she wrote

3. If it's a two-way street why not tell the other person so they know what they did wrong and can learn from it
I think they don't give any reasons because they don't know exactly what the reason is themselves. If they are leaving you for another woman, well that's your reason. Sometimes men don't realize there's something wrong in the relationship until they meet another woman who awakens something in them. I once heard a guy say its about the old vs the thrill of the new. But as a whole guys that do things like this aren't very good in relationships anyway, IMO.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:59 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,706,199 times
Mod cut: Orphaned.

Quote:

Short answer, we don't think ya'll can handle it and in a lot of cases women prove men right on this.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-25-2013 at 07:44 AM..

Old 06-24-2013, 06:59 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,626,517 times
Quote:

No, reason is because many people take everything for granted and he sees you as a commodity, like anything else that he has at his disposal. A car analogy comes into the deal. This means you're literally disposable at any moment and that's it. It's not a "man's thing" it's as much present among women as it is among men. Everything in the life is seen as commodity to a personal "success" or happiness.

Those are some tough times because many folks generally see others as non-human beings. They aren't even aware of that but their mindset functions like that and that's one of the biggest problems.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:03 PM

470 posts, read 1,162,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Because many people, even many otherwise people, become craven cowards when it comes to dealing with conflict. This is especially true when their own behavior has been less than honorable. Your ex is trying to not have to deal with your negative emotions.
This..I've done it before, not proud of it..

Old 06-24-2013, 07:06 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,636,727 times
I'm not a guy but I honestly feel that it's because they don't know what's wrong. As in, they can not make sense of what they feel and express it. They just know something is wrong and feels wrong but they don't quite know what.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:38 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,100,408 times
I didn't intend for this to be a thread where one gender was stereotyping the other. The only two reasons I chose to address this to men is because both JerZ and I had it happed to us from a man and most of the women I know don't have a problem speaking up when something is wrong. They will talk to a GF or a mate, but they don't let a relationship go down the toilet without saying something.

When a person starts a thread about their SO/spouse, at least one person posts something to the effect of, Well, that's only one side of the story. That is definately true, but if the people who don't give us information are (as you say) cowards, selfish, etc., then how do we examine our part in the downfall if we are not given any information? We can only post our side, if we aren't told the other person's side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships