Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 05:59 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Sometimes yes but often, no. Women waiting later to marry is a simple case of women receiving more education in the past 75 years than we had in approximately the previous 3000 (with a few exceptions), and wanting to have that under our belt first before settling with the first guy who comes along.

In the past, we did have to settle for that first guy, or close to it. Not only was there a social stigma to being an "old maid" (older 20s and still not married, gasp), but we didn't have the financial means to support ourselves if some at least partially acceptable guy came along to marry us.

It's often more about choice than it is about wanting perfection or a knight in shining armor or something.
Not one of my female friends or any woman I know said "I am waiting longer so I can find a wealthy husband". Most waited, like what you mentioned to establish their career. Others waited because they couldn't find a decent man (and by decent I mean wanting to marry).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 06:03 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,546,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Really? So if a guy showed up with an overweight woman who was his own age to a friends BBQ do you really think his friends are going to congratulate him on his 'great catch'? No, they're going to make fun of him for 'catching a whale' or settling, no matter how much he loves her. I've seen it happen with my own eyes on multiple occasions, especially work parties. Men's egos are tied to how good of a partner they can get.
You give too much weight to this superficial hypothesis. I don't think it's a "keeping up with the Joneses" mindset, at least from my experience. I much prefer to keep my dating and gf relationships private, gawkers do me no good besides inviting unwelcomed attention. As to men's ego, I would say instead that it is much more tied to their sense of financial and career success than having a younger attractive gf. It's a rare man who can keep an attractive women without financial and career stability. It happens with attractive men, but I've seen it cause chronic relationship tension that does affect a man's ego and his sense of self-worth.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:08 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiddin View Post
You give too much weight to this superficial hypothesis. I don't think it's a "keeping up with the Joneses" mindset, at least from my experience. I much prefer to keep my dating and gf relationships private, gawkers do me no good besides inviting unwelcomed attention. As to men's ego, I would say instead that it is much more tied to their sense of financial and career success than having a younger attractive gf. It's a rare man who can keep an attractive women without financial and career stability. It happens with attractive men, but I've seen it cause chronic relationship tension that does affect a man's ego.
It's not really superficial...I've seen it play out multiple times and in many different situations. YOU may keep your relationships private, but many do not and they use their partner as an extension of how 'great' they are.

Maybe if these men went after women on their own level, instead of just seeking out the most attractive, they'd have better luck and the chronic relationship tension wouldn't be as palpable.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:14 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Celebrities are another issue, which is why men like Hefner get younger and it really doesn't pertain to this thread. Most 50 year old men don't look like Clooney or have his money.

You do realize many of the younger women who date wealthy older men do it because of his money right? you also realize these women are generally gold diggers and are not representative of the average women, right?
I used celebrities as an example to your response to capitol's thread about men not being attracted to financial independence, establish careers, and success when it comes to women. Most of the times we couldn't care less. But for even women who are not gold diggers it's hard for them not to be attracted to status and wealth. Women are more easily influenced by material things.

Of course I know they are after their money. It's the equalizer for old men who want younger women. Not everyone has money but those that do are usually with much younger women. Why is that? Why don't rich old men stick with women their age?

Old 06-26-2013, 06:15 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I can't wait to read all the man-hating posters jump on your response! This should be great!
Whoah, kind of weird that it puts a smile on your face to watch women become unhappy and feel overlooked. Oh well.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:15 PM

31,035 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Some people here seem to act as if it is a male/female thing but, I'm sure Gays have it no better

Old 06-26-2013, 06:16 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Of course I know they are after their money. It's the equalizer for old men who want younger women. Not everyone has money but those that do are usually with much younger women. Why is that? Why don't rich old men stick with women their age?
Status. "Look what I can get! Read 'em and weep, boys. I have the great car. I have the Fortune 100 company job. And I have the piece of azz. I pity you guys (wink)."

Do you really think Hugh Heffner serial-marries and surrounds himself with his bunnies because he can't wait to get with them and honor his biology? He pretty much can't anymore, at least according to his exes and to his many high-profile guests.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:16 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,216 times
I've always been attracted to older women and I think lots of guys like older women, too. I've dated older women since I was in my mid to late 20s. The women were in their 40's and one or two were in their early 50's . I remember when I worked in my parents' restaurants (a great place to observe btw) it wasn't uncommon to see drop dead gorgeous women in their 40s and 50s with fabulous figures come to the bar or the restaurant with a guy in his 20s and 30s. Some couples were even married.

-Cheers!

Old 06-26-2013, 06:22 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,546,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
I've always been attracted to older women and I think lots of guys like older women, too. I've dated older women since I was in my mid to late 20s. The women were in their 40's and one or two were in their early 50's . I remember when I worked in my parents' restaurants (a great place to observe btw) it wasn't uncommon to see drop dead gorgeous women in their 40s and 50s with fabulous figures come to the bar or the restaurant with a guy in his 20s and 30s. Some couples were even married.

-Cheers!
where may i find such a place? when it comes to hotness, I don't engage in age discrimination so long as the my meter is in the red zone.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:22 PM

31,035 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post

-Cheers!
So, what was it about these older women that attracted you most? Looks, Experience, Money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships