Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 02:19 PM

30,745 posts, read 21,872,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
How old exactly are you?

I'm 25 so feel pretty justified to make a response.

My guy friends and girl friends love to date. My current gf, I was friends with her step dad, and he set me up with her. Our first time meeting was with her family and going to their pool. That night we went out to a pretty nice dinner.

Well, thats no different than my experiences. Who are the people that are 'Hooking up' and 'Hanging out' and not going on conventional dates?- I hear the term used all the time with my nieces and nephews who are in their early to mid 20s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 02:23 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,606,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post

It was odd, I always heard this. When I was in my 20's and dating, I thought men wanted the hell away from things like this, so as a woman who also wanted the hell away from things like this, I thought I was good to go. But turns out every man I dated wanted this within 6 months of the first date! Some even sooner, yikes. I think it was the town...
Yep!

Old 06-28-2013, 02:29 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,589,494 times
OP, everything you're saying describes how couples I knew hooked up when I was in my 20's, which was 20 years ago.

The people who think "hanging out" and "hooking up" is something new apparently have short memories.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:43 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,364,619 times
You can hang out, hook up, go on dates.

"hooking up" is typically like ---- having sex after a party, or just having sex in general.

going on a date is like... going out to dinner, whether you hook up after or not doesn't matter. you still want on a date.

What's up with people thinking all girls in their 20's want to do nowadays is "hook up" and have sex? Who are these people and where are you finding these girls? Or, maybe some people here that think that just can't possibly find a decent girl that wants to date them? I could go through my phone right now and call 20 girls all under 25, and ask them to be my girlfriend, and they would say yes. A few weeks back I was showing my boss my voice command in my truck and his name is JC so I go, "call JC" well, it called this girl I dated a while back, named "jacey" a smart, beautiful, kind, college girl. I immediately hung up, but it must have rang. She called me back 20 minutes later, asked if I was still with my girlfriend and told me she's had a bf for the last 5 months but if we ever break up to let her know because she basically confessed her undying love to me several times. Hell the first time she ever stayed over she woke up at 6 a.m. with me and cooked me breakfast while I was getting ready. I would call that a pretty legit girl.

Like I said. This forum is a joke when it comes to their views on dating for MY GENERATION. If anything, it's the guys that are the issue. Guys want to put their thing in every hole with a pulse, so they lead girls on so they can get what they want. Or, make the girls think they have a chance to potentially date. I can think of very very few girls in my life that I have screwed that didn't want a serious relationship. I don't know where all you people are meeting "these" girls, but they must be ***** houses or something. Wow.

Sorry about the rant, I just find it insulting that I know tons of really nice girls out there who genuinely like and want to date, yet haven't found the right person. Yet all of you are indirectly bashing them saying all girls want is sex anymore.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:52 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,606,283 times
Maybe it's not all one way or another. Maybe like attracts like.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:34 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,589,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Maybe it's not all one way or another. Maybe like attracts like.
Now there's a radical concept! Good luck getting something that rational to go over well here.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:46 PM

8,247 posts, read 8,596,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
OP, everything you're saying describes how couples I knew hooked up when I was in my 20's, which was 20 years ago.

The people who think "hanging out" and "hooking up" is something new apparently have short memories.
I have at least a decade on you and it was the same then too. Only the words have changed. Back then hooking up was meeting someone that could do you some good and had nothing to do with sex.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:59 PM

19,965 posts, read 30,111,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Older people often turn numb, so I rely on the younger folks to be romantic, but they don't always do that because they may be neurotic or in a rush, and that makes me sad.
older people often turn numb???

maybe we just dont realize it...

When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse

Out of the corner of my eye

I turned to look but it was gone

I cannot put my finger on it now

The child is grown the dream is gone

I have become comfortably numb

Old 06-28-2013, 05:21 PM

8,748 posts, read 9,440,097 times
Dang, even if I reverse those numbers, I'm still not part of the target group. Sheesh.

The young people I personally know, still do the date thing, movies, dinner and the like. And omg, many get engaged and marry too. I don't think the hookup is the norm for as many people as some think, for a lot probably, just more than likely, not most.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:34 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,580,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
You can hang out, hook up, go on dates.

"hooking up" is typically like ---- having sex after a party, or just having sex in general.

going on a date is like... going out to dinner, whether you hook up after or not doesn't matter. you still want on a date.

What's up with people thinking all girls in their 20's want to do nowadays is "hook up" and have sex? Who are these people and where are you finding these girls? Or, maybe some people here that think that just can't possibly find a decent girl that wants to date them? I could go through my phone right now and call 20 girls all under 25, and ask them to be my girlfriend, and they would say yes. A few weeks back I was showing my boss my voice command in my truck and his name is JC so I go, "call JC" well, it called this girl I dated a while back, named "jacey" a smart, beautiful, kind, college girl. I immediately hung up, but it must have rang. She called me back 20 minutes later, asked if I was still with my girlfriend and told me she's had a bf for the last 5 months but if we ever break up to let her know because she basically confessed her undying love to me several times. Hell the first time she ever stayed over she woke up at 6 a.m. with me and cooked me breakfast while I was getting ready. I would call that a pretty legit girl.

Like I said. This forum is a joke when it comes to their views on dating for MY GENERATION. If anything, it's the guys that are the issue. Guys want to put their thing in every hole with a pulse, so they lead girls on so they can get what they want. Or, make the girls think they have a chance to potentially date. I can think of very very few girls in my life that I have screwed that didn't want a serious relationship. I don't know where all you people are meeting "these" girls, but they must be ***** houses or something. Wow.

Sorry about the rant, I just find it insulting that I know tons of really nice girls out there who genuinely like and want to date, yet haven't found the right person. Yet all of you are indirectly bashing them saying all girls want is sex anymore.
It's interesting...because I do know women who just want to hook up, and I know women who want a relationship. The women who just want to keep it casual and 'hook up' are called skanks, the women who want a relationship are 'naggy and clingy'. So...basically either way the women lose. So, I do neither. I don't hook up but I also don't want a relationship. I want to casually date and then go home by myself afterwards and so far so good.

I think it's cute that you mentioned the girl that cooked you breakfast after she stayed over the first time... I've heard of that happening a few times and the guys thought the girls were being super clingy and weird. So, I guess it depends on the guy in question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships