Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 12:58 PM

52,193 posts, read 52,623,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I'm so tired of insurance companies....

My son needs an epi-pen and emergency inhaler (he has a severe allergy to nuts and shellfish and has asthma). We go today, get his Rx for 3 packs each on the epi-pen and inhaler (one for home, one for carrying and one for school). The pharmacy calls and says "just want to make sure you are okay with the cost before we fill...it will be $915 for the epi-pens and rescue inhalers.

Our insurance company SUCKS. I hate them. They don't cover the cost of his epi-pens or rescue inhalers. They DO, however, cover the expense of infertility treatments, for some dumbass to quit smoking, or for someone to go through a drug program, they cover gym memberships (partially)...they cover "maintenance drugs" for diabetes and high cholesterol without having to show that you made an attempt to change your lifestyle, but NOT for auto-immune thyroid for which there isn't a diet and lifestyle change. NOT for an epi-pen that could potentially save a life, NOT for a rescue inhaler that could save his life...

WTF...really? I'm so over this bull****.
Yeah, it is definitely a nationally debated subject, to say the least. I put Mrs. Chow on my insurance last yr, and man, I pay alot more each month now because of it, My employer changed their insurance carriers and plan recently and now I have a 2k deductible...... that's a fairly large deductible.... they tried to spin it to us how much cheaper it is in the long run, blah blah blah...

IDK.... Something has to be done about health care in this country, not saying it should be government run and I'm a little nervous how things are gonna shake out with "Obama care" not getting political, just curious what the hard realities are gonna be....

But yeah, I agree with you, you'd think something that is mandatory for life safety would be more covered then something like infetility treatments or Gym memberships, that's for sure...

Old 07-31-2013, 01:09 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,754,982 times
The only medicine I take is for my thyroid. I've using generic for a couple of years with no ill effect.

As far as Obama care, it is hardly a solution

Old 07-31-2013, 01:10 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,062,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, it is definitely a nationally debated subject, to say the least. I put Mrs. Chow on my insurance last yr, and man, I pay alot more each month now because of it, My employer changed their insurance carriers and plan recently and now I have a 2k deductible...... that's a fairly large deductible.... they tried to spin it to us how much cheaper it is in the long run, blah blah blah...

IDK.... Something has to be done about health care in this country, not saying it should be government run and I'm a little nervous how things are gonna shake out with "Obama care" not getting political, just curious what the hard realities are gonna be....

But yeah, I agree with you, you'd think something that is mandatory for life safety would be more covered then something like infetility treatments or Gym memberships, that's for sure...
That is what our deductible would be if it was just him and I. With the kids it's $2600 and with spouse and kids it's $3600. I wasn't eligible for insurance through my employer last year because I was not a contract employee. I'm going to take benefits through them this year though and come off my husbands. Their coverage is better for my needs and that would at least get the deductible down for him.

But yes...that's what kills me the most. They will cover people's gym memberships and such...but not a drug that could save a life.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
The only medicine I take is for my thyroid. I've using generic for a couple of years with no ill effect.
Same here. I took Levothyroxine (gerenic) for about 2yrs or so...but my numbers were all over the place and my goiter was getting worse. He changed me over to brand name and so far so good. No issues, goiter has shrunk and after my next appt I think I can go 6 months between appts, FINALLY!

Old 07-31-2013, 01:15 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I wish there was a generic epi-pen!

My Rx is brand name. I was on generic for a while but it wasn't working well for me so he changed me to brand name. The insurance I'm on covers "maintenance drugs" free of charge. Thyroid medicine is not considered a maintenance drug though. I don't really understand why.

The epi-pen cost is obscene though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Not sure what is to come either, my carrier was changed and I'm no longer covered for two of meds, I no longer can get my bi-weekly B12 shots covered either.

Sixy, that's really insane about your son's medicine, but I've seen news stories of similar situations where lift sustaining medicines and or procedures not being covered and the carriers not flinching.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:

As far as Obama care, it is hardly a solution
I've been lucky, I'm low forties and have made it to now without having to take any kind of regular medications, I'm sure that will change as I get older, it most often does, that is another reason why I'm getting more concerned about healthcare and the cost and how it's gonna be delivered in the near future. Time will tell. I have decent benefits, other than the highish deductible, but yeah, a lot of people don't have jack and are one accident/medical problem away from bankruptcy...

Scary stuff, really......

My dad has always been Mr. Insurance has paid thru the nose for it actually but over the last 7 yrs, he's had a major cancer, a pacemaker installed, and now he broke his leg badly a yr ago and is still struggling with it. He told me that if he didn't pay for his "premium" insurance he would have lost his house with the major cancer treatments he's had....

I've heard other horror stories as well....

Old 07-31-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Not sure what is to come either, my carrier was changed and I'm no longer covered for two of meds, I no longer can get my bi-weekly B12 shots covered either.

Sixy, that's really insane about your son's medicine, but I've seen news stories of similar situations where lift sustaining medicines and or procedures not being covered and the carriers not flinching.
Yup...I just don't get it. I'm thankful we can afford to get his medication but goodness...I'm sure there are lots of folks that have to make some tough choices and I think that sucks.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post

Yeah, but they sure as shyt don't have a problem taking your money, do they???

I'm getting f ing hostile thinking about it......

Old 07-31-2013, 06:20 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,754,982 times
My employer provides really good insurance. When I was dealing with cancer the insurance was great. A months worth of chemo was 125k. I didn't have to pay nearly that amount.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
My employer provides really good insurance. When I was dealing with cancer the insurance was great. A months worth of chemo was 125k. I didn't have to pay nearly that amount.
Yowzers!!! Can you imagine if you didn't have insurance?

I know I ***** about it but I'm thankful that once we hit the deductible we don't have to keep paying out of pocket. There are lots of folks that don't have insurance or who pay a lot more in private insurance just to have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships