Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 11:32 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusStrip View Post
Nila, actually if I had to pick a denomination I was comfortable in. it would be Baptist. I believe Jesus is the only way to heaven (am not sure what Quakers believe, admittedly).
If you mean Southern Baptist, that falls pretty squarely in the camp of fundamentalist/evangelical, which is about as conservative as it gets, particularly in the U.S. since 1980 or so when the "Religious Right" emerged aligned with the Republican Party. I would certainly look into more liberal/mainline denominations if you want to find a guy who is a Christian and a Democrat, particularly in Texas.

In fact, the very belief that "Jesus is the only way to heaven" is extremely conservative. Even the Pope has recently said that non-Christians can go to heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 11:35 AM

511 posts, read 838,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
In NICU the docs call the male babies "wimpy boys" because they are less likely to survive (all things equal) than the girl babies.
A vulnerable boy won't fare well in this world. Keep that in mind.

It's "wimpy white boys" and he had the additional strike against him of being a multiple. He seems most of the time like he is all boy. Robust, goofy, into typical boy pursuits. He just is not emotionally secure. He got no actual human touch for over 3 months because he became infected with MRSA in the NICU. I wonder if that could have something to do with it. I always had to be gowned and gloved.

He actually fit the stereotype - my daughter was the one who needed heart surgery and bradied during feeds and she still succeeded at nippling feeds and losing the Os way before he did. He needed oxygen24x7 till right before he finally came home and was jussst managing to take 60 cc without falling asleep.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Its kinda a contradiction to want someone who is educated and successful yet someone who is fiscally liberal.
Uh, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not really. Astonishingly enough, there are educated, successful people who want to contribute their fair share, and help build a strong middle class. Just because you don't know any, doesn't mean they don't exist. Read Lee Iaccocca sometime. He explains it all. He's one of those who believes successful people should pay more in taxes for the betterment of society and for the maintenance and expansion of infrastructure.
This. Also, no less than the likes of Warren Buffet and Bill Gates have advocated that the wealthy pay more in taxes. Steve Jobs was pretty liberal, too.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Emotionally and physically, I could be in better shape. I am actually taking steps on both fronts - am down 12 lbs in addition to improving my life with pharmaceuticals. Woot.
Hopefully you're doing some sort of talk therapy (counseling/psychotherapy) and not just meds, to address the root issue and not just mask the symptoms.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:40 AM

805 posts, read 1,558,638 times
Quote:
It's "wimpy white boys" and he had the additional strike against him of being a multiple. He seems most of the time like he is all boy. Robust, goofy, into typical boy pursuits. He just is not emotionally secure. He got no actual human touch for over 3 months because he became infected with MRSA in the NICU. I wonder if that could have something to do with it. I always had to be gowned and gloved.
I'm aware it's wimpy white boys but the last time I said that I was called racist.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
findly, because it's not essential. I'd LIKE a guy over 6 feet who is a fabulous cook, an incredible lover, and who has a phd in one of the hard sciences. I'd also like him to be white.
Okay, now I'm pretty sure you're trolling.

In case you're not: With all of your criteria together, you're looking at well under 1% of the male population. Probably less than 1/10th of 1%, actually. Those are just the odds of this guy existing in the population, let alone being interested in dating you.

When you factor in that he has to be single and interested in dating an overweight 40-something woman with small children, that might make it more like 1/100th of 1% of the population. Then the odds of you then both being attracted to each other might be 1/1,000th of 1%.

Again, drop the checklist. Go meet a guy, have fun, and see what happens.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Ok, this one cracked me up . Education and professional jobs are always railed against by conservative politicians because they tend to make people more liberal.
I laughed at that, too. Isn't the Republican Party in the U.S. always referring to highly educated people as out of touch "liberal elite" snobs? Finding a highly educated person who is a Democrat is the easy part of her list. It's most of the rest of it that is hard.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
My thought is, if you are going to kill your unborn baby,
It's called a fetus. Any guy with a Ph.D. in hard sciences knows this.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:55 AM

511 posts, read 838,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Okay, now I'm pretty sure you're trolling.

In case you're not: With all of your criteria together, you're looking at well under 1% of the male population. Probably less than 1/10th of 1%, actually. Those are just the odds of this guy existing in the population, let alone being interested in dating you.

When you factor in that he has to be single and interested in dating an overweight 40-something woman with small children, that might make it more like 1/100th of 1% of the population. Then the odds of you then both being attracted to each other might be 1/1,000th of 1%.

Again, drop the checklist. Go meet a guy, have fun, and see what happens.

I am not trolling. I never said I expected those things. Though the right guy probably IS one in a hundred thousand.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
What I don't understand is how a thread like this can have over 250 responces.
It's because she has stuck around and is responding to nearly everyone's responses. (Probably half the posts in the thread are from her.) That always keeps a thread going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships