Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 12:05 AM

11,361 posts, read 9,272,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
We have a nutjob atheist who looks for things to protest. He's no better than the religious zealots.
Like what?

If it's an outside display on government property I agree with the protest because the government has no business promoting religion.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:12 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,519,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Like what?

If it's an outside display on government property I agree with the protest because the government has no business promoting religion.
What about cities that were actually founded by religious orders such as Los Angeles or San Diego. Atheists actually made the City of Los Angeles remove the reference to the religious origins of the city on the city's official seal. There is a difference between "promoting" religion and acknowledging the role that religion played in the founding of a city.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:21 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,887,487 times
Quote:
Like what?

Like protesting someone has a cross on their cubicle or an office that has a nativity scene. If he doesn't like he doesn't have to look. If I owned a store I would put up Christmas decorations.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:43 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,519,206 times
Quote:
calipoppy ---
Sorry if I missed this but why is having a partner who believes in a higher power so important to you?

There is plenty of evidence that it does not make you a better person.
I want someone who is likeminded in having a reverence for a Higher Power. It is important that my future husband and I are able to grow stronger in our marriage through our mutual love of God.

And BTW, I have never stated that atheists/agnostics are not or can not be good people.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I want someone who is likeminded in having a reverence for a Higher Power. It is important that my future husband and I are able to grow stronger in our marriage through our mutual love of God.

And BTW, I have never stated that atheists/agnostics are not or can not be good people.
I have no clue as to what that is.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Like protesting someone has a cross on their cubicle or an office that has a nativity scene. If he doesn't like he doesn't have to look. If I owned a store I would put up Christmas decorations.
I always see that and don't see a problem.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
What about cities that were actually founded by religious orders such as Los Angeles or San Diego. Atheists actually made the City of Los Angeles remove the reference to the religious origins of the city on the city's official seal. There is a difference between "promoting" religion and acknowledging the role that religion played in the founding of a city.
If it's government it needs to be removed.

I strongly disagree religion played any role in the founding of any city. It's all a superstition to me.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:25 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,423,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
we belong to a culture that is 2000 years old and this culture whether religious or secular has rules and codes of conduct that were spawned by religion...
Wrong. On many counts. Our civilisation is much older then 2000 years. And you certainly have presented no reason to think that these "rules and codes" came from religion at all. You are simply making stuff up to make religion look important now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
I don't believe that most atheists hate or disbelieve in God.
Head firmly in the sand huh? I have yet to meet an "atheist" who thinks there is a god.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:58 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,179,426 times
Quote:
Why do atheists and agnostics become so upset when a person who believes in a God or a Higher Being rejects them as dating potentials?

A seemingly great guy that I had been talking to literally became anger when I let him know that I couldn't date or become involved with an atheist after he divulged that information in a conversation. This is the 3rd time that I have had an atheist/agnostic become aggressive/hostile when I rejected them for being non-believers. I respect their right to not believe but why can't they respect my right to not date them?
It's not about atheists as a group, but the type of men you are attracting. I'm sure it has been said- there are all kinds in every group and it's short sighted to generalize your few experiences onto a population.

With that said, I totally understand not being able to be with someone who doesn't share a worldview. I could never share my life with a theist. There are fundamental psychological differences that I cannot ignore. Amazing to me is that some people actually make it work.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:31 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,177,991 times
Thread is closed. If you want to discuss religion or atheists-agnostics we have a forum for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.