Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 03:29 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,446 times

Advertisements

What do you give her at he wedding ceremony?
Was that a joke about being against her religion or is there really a religion that is against it? If so then what do people who practice that give to their significant other?
As a gift, glass engraved keepsake box, picture frame with a special picture
Some bigger ideas though if I were her I would want to be involved in picking these out but your first home together, a nice vacation though that could be a surprise, a puppy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 03:49 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
dont get her a riding lawnmower,,,doesn't go over too well, no matter how big a red bow you put on it

Old 07-06-2013, 08:15 AM

20 posts, read 17,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
What do you give her at he wedding ceremony?
Was that a joke about being against her religion or is there really a religion that is against it? If so then what do people who practice that give to their significant other?
As a gift, glass engraved keepsake box, picture frame with a special picture
Some bigger ideas though if I were her I would want to be involved in picking these out but your first home together, a nice vacation though that could be a surprise, a puppy
Yes, woman do not wear jewelry at all in her faith. It's a Christian faith, and apparently there are plenty of bible verses to support the teaching. Great ideas!

But again, the real issue with this tradition is how these materials are obtained.. you all do understand that part of it correct?

Last edited by davidgvns; 07-06-2013 at 08:54 AM..

Old 07-06-2013, 09:20 AM

102,180 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgvns View Post

But again, the real issue with this tradition is how these materials are obtained.. you all do understand that part of it correct?
Not really. Could you elaborate? Does it mean they object to resources being mined by near-slave-labor policies? Then get gems that are mined under fair labor practices, like gems from Russia (amethyst, among others). What about precious metals, like gold, silver, platinum? You're going to have to spell it out for us, OP.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:28 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
I'm thinking you're going to hard pressed to find any type of manufactured token, jewelry or not, that is from an industry wholly untouched by unfair labor practices.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:46 AM

20 posts, read 17,484 times
Don't we all object to slaves and masters? You have to move 30 tons of earth for a single ouch of gold! You have to force people off there land to even have a mine! The amount of destruction to the land, air and water is absolutely incredible. And what is it anyways? Can you eat it, or build with it? It has no practical value at all.

We have to empathize.. Can't we imagine a mercenary army coming into your town and forcibly removing you, or enslaving you to dig up a worthless material, and when they're done leaving your home completely destroyed?

As long as we support this industry, it will continue to exist, and everything that goes along with it will too. It's only valuable because we haven't defined an alternative culture. Let's do that!

Old 07-06-2013, 10:14 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
Quote:
Don't we all object to slaves and masters? You have to move 30 tons of earth for a single ouch of gold! You have to force people off there land to even have a mine! The amount of destruction to the land, air and water is absolutely incredible. And what is it anyways? Can you eat it, or build with it? It has no practical value at all.

We have to empathize.. Can't we imagine a mercenary army coming into your town and forcibly removing you, or enslaving you to dig up a worthless material, and when they're done leaving your home completely destroyed?

As long as we support this industry, it will continue to exist, and everything that goes along with it will too. It's only valuable because we haven't defined an alternative culture. Let's do that!
So... is the point of your thread to come up with another gift idea for your girlfriend or to proselytize about the jewelry industry? Hmm...

Old 07-06-2013, 10:18 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,116,083 times
Wooden Rings from Touch Wood Rings.* Finely handcrafted and custom made Wood Rings

Old 07-06-2013, 10:19 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,990,374 times
Quote:

Go for it . I bike to work and eat mostly local organic food, so I'm with you.

My suggestion (two months' salary in a savings account) was not a joke.

Gifts of jewelry, including engagement rings, date from a time when women were not legally allowed to own money, but personal items such as jewelry were often an exception. It is a (now mostly symbolic) safety net. It functions like the earnest money you put down when you make an offer on a house. It's a way of saying you are serious, and of compensating her if you lie.

So, put down the money instead. After you are married, she can use it for her half the down payment on a house for you two, or take you to Costs Rica, or save it for a rainy day.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:21 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,194,972 times
Quote:
Yes, woman do not wear jewelry at all in her faith. It's a Christian faith, and apparently there are plenty of bible verses to support the teaching. Great ideas!

Unfortunately, in our culture of bling, most people don't understand it, or they choose to turn a blind eye toward the rape of the earth required to mine the stones and metals, the pollution such mining causes, the people who are enslaved and treated barbarically to mine the stones, and the children whose limbs are blown off in wars funded by the smuggling and sale of the stones. To my thinking, if you're going to buy a diamond ring from a store like Jared's or Kay Jewelers, you might as well cut out the middle-man and give your money right to Joseph Kony. The Kimberley Process is a joke.

For those who are interested in gems and rings that are ethically and sustainably sourced, you can't go wrong with a synthetic stone set in a ring made with recycled metals. Brilliant Earth is one company that sells such jewelry, but I'm sure there are others.

David, you say that your girlfriend will not wear any jewelry, and that it has to do with her religion, so obviously, jewelry is out.

What you might do is present her with a beautiful antique hope chest, only instead of it being about her single days or linens, it could be with the intent that this is where you can both save keepsakes and mementos of the life you build together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships