Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:46 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times

Advertisements

I want to start doing this*, because my friends are all married and can't go anywhere, so I'd like to hear from the single ladies what this is like. Do people look at you like you're crazy?

*referring to entertainment here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 11:52 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times
I go out by myself all the time. No one ever looks at me like I am crazy. If it's the type of place where you can mingle with other people (like a party or something) I try to find shy people and befriend them. It's kind of fun--like a treasure hunt... only with people.

You know it's great when you go to a movie. Everyone likes to leave a seat between them and other groups--which means there are often a lot of single seats in the best places.

The only time it's kind of a bother is when dining. Waiting for food alone is boring. So I sometimes read a book (or people watch).

Old 07-08-2013, 11:56 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I want to start doing this*, because my friends are all married and can't go anywhere, so I'd like to hear from the single ladies what this is like. Do people look at you like you're crazy?

Make sure you have a taser and Mace.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:56 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
They usually assume that I'm married. I've been called Mrs. So and so many times. Its my age.

Two of my guy friends from the past thought I was married.

I go out alone often or with my son.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:57 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
There are so many singles going out alone that no one notices. You shouldn't miss out on interesting local events, a good movie, etc. just because you don't have anyone to go with. In fact, if you're out alone, you're more approachable, so you can make new friends. Don't hold back, srjth, go for it!

Old 07-08-2013, 11:58 AM

769 posts, read 976,948 times
I travel alone, go out to dinner alone, go to movies alone etc.

I have been on several vacations solo and find it SO relaxing. I get to do what I want to do, eat where I want to eat, read a book all day if I want. Usually I end up meeting people at the pool that are also traveling alone. We went out to dinner a few times and it was fun.

Dinner alone I almost ALWAYS bring a book with me.

I could care less if people look at me like I am crazy. What am I supposed to do sit at home and get a few cats? Become the crazy cat lady who was to afraid to go out in public becuase OMG she is alone. HECK no...I will be the crazy dog or horse lady over hte cat lady.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:58 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,546,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post

do what i do sometimes. find a local music venue and become a regular by befriending the bartendars and wait staff. go in during the day at first, slide into happy hour, then from time to time visit at night. it's a lot easier to go someplace "where everybody knows your name"

Old 07-08-2013, 12:04 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
I'm married but I go out alone all the time. I travel alone sometimes too.

I guess I just don't think about what others are thinking. I just do what interests me.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:07 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,403 times
If I were there, you wouldn't be alone for long! I just couldn't resist -

Old 07-08-2013, 12:07 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I go out by myself all the time. No one ever looks at me like I am crazy. If it's the type of place where you can mingle with other people (like a party or something) I try to find shy people and befriend them. It's kind of fun--like a treasure hunt... only with people.

You know it's great when you go to a movie. Everyone likes to leave a seat between them and other groups--which means there are often a lot of single seats in the best places.

The only time it's kind of a bother is when dining. Waiting for food alone is boring. So I sometimes read a book (or people watch).
I don't mind going to the movies or dining alone at all. I'd just always sit at the bar if they have one. I like to people watch best but if there aren't many people and no TV, I'd read C-D if I get bored.

I mostly meant things like concerts or seeing a live band or sporting event etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Make sure you have a taser and Mace.
Not sure if serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships