Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:59 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times

Advertisements

At the end of the day confidence will seal the deal. Can always compensate for not being the best looking guy. Most guys in this position just need to develop the personality and learn how to spit some game. Doesn't take much to get a woman in the bed now days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 01:00 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I find neither of those men's physiques attractive.
I'm willing to place a wager its because you've had bad experiences with men who have those body types and thus you know associates most fit me with being jackasses and thus, unattractive?

Old 07-10-2013, 01:03 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Its easy to think that until you get there. Im 5'10, 205lbs, 32" waist, 18" arms, 26" quads.

I used to think I would be huge when I made it to 200lbs and about 10% BF. I started around 168lbs.

Now I made it there and I'm 205-210. Now I feel like I need to be 225-230 before I am content. Im a so so looking guy but in an amazing shape.

Maybe I'm really not as big as people say or how I feel based on my measurements.

That being said, this is me looking in the mirror most days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Yeah, you've got some good size on you.

Also, that image, the one providing an example of how you see yourself in the mirror is typical of not just a lot of males but of a lot of muscularly BIG males too. Which always tripped me out when I (to my surprise) discovered this.

There are some men that know they're physical beasts. But there are a surprising number of men that are physical beasts that look in the mirror and see themselves as still pretty skinny. You cats are like the reverse of the female anorexic.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:03 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
Women don't settle because they think less of themselves. Women settle because they can't pull the men they really want. All though there is a small section of women who intentionally date down because they fear they won't be able to keep certain men interested thats not the majority.

Also both genders try to " date up" so I wouldn't go there.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:11 PM

5,321 posts, read 6,098,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Women don't settle because they think less of themselves. Women settle because they can't pull the men they really want. All though there is a small section of women who intentionally date down because they fear they won't be able to keep certain men interested thats not the majority.

I agree you can talk about how the 6 foot plus model looking ceo isnt your type but the truth is you couldnt get him anyway and its a defensive mechanism saying how you dont like those guys..

I dont really get this men care so much mroe about looks then women thing its just not true..try being a guy under 5'9 online and see how many even overweight or unattratcive women want nothing to do with you

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
statistically at least, women actually tend to think men are worse looking than they are... at least assuming the medium or average man should be near the 50% mark, aka 2.5/5 or 5/10.

"As you can see from the gray line, women rate an incredible 80% of guys as worse-looking than medium..." (scroll down about 1/3rd the article)
Can we talk about this bit from the okc blog?

I was astounded by the bit about how the okc staff described the 4 men (who were rated as less than average attractiveness by the women polled) as "totally decent looking".

What does everyone think? Granted, one of the things hurting these guys is the pics are poorly done and some of them could use some quick lessons in how to pose/smile in order to photograph better.

Curious... If we use the attractiveness levels of the women posted as a baseline for comparison . . . how do you think the guys stack up?

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
I don't agree. There are men who are hideous who know they're hideous.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:15 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post

Had to rep this. That last paragraph strikes me as sooooo true. And that would be true of myself. I tried to get dates with "hot chicks" and "average women" and "below average women."

I'd lie if I said the below average looking women are the ones I have desired most of all. And I'd lie if I said I would never had been tinkled pink when approaching some of the "hot chicks" if I had landed them in bed let alone as girlfriends.

I think it's rather normal for people to desire the really good looking. I don't know why people make a big deal out of it. It's almost "communist." Like no poor folks or middle-class folks are supposed o indulge in fantasies of being rich or having large, beautiful homes.

The only problem is if you can't come back down to reality. But then what is reality with out being spiced with some hopes, dreams, and gambles taken?

Excluding sex and romance there are some gambles in life I regret never having taken. At least had I taken them and failed I would know outcome. Having never taken the gamble I'm left wondering forever, "what if?"

Old 07-10-2013, 01:16 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I'm pretty convinced that people do this for themselves, not for others.

Also, would you be so kind to give me your opinion on the pictures in this thread, please?

What do guys think of muscle-y women?
opinion given

Old 07-10-2013, 01:23 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I love that article

Yes, women may tend to view men as being worse looking overall, but they will message and interact with those men regardless because looks aren't everything to most women. Are they important? Yes! But I'll take a below average man with a shining personality over a handsome man who is a dullard in a heartbeat.

Men, on the other hand, may follow the curve more closely, but notice that according to that article 2/3 of the messages go to the top 1/3 of attractive women. They may view women as more attractive overall, but ignore the average ones and focus on the hottest of the hot. I found that very interesting.
yes the men were definitely shooting for the moon. unsurprising IMO

but in terms of the OP topic (men thinking they're better looking) i thought that particular aspect of women's ratings was the most relevant

also, there is something unhealthy in the message "a below average man with a shining personality" if the man is actually average, rather than below average

i also wonder what the results would be if they analyzed men rating men and women rating women. it could be that men also rate ourselves below average like the women do. or not. either way it would be interesting to see

re: love that article... yep! the whole OKC blog is gold really
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships