Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 08:15 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times

Advertisements

^^^ There probably isn't a Creator, so your beliefs come from ideas of men, and as such, vary with time, place and culture. Only because of this one set of ideas (out of many that exist) do you think this is a perversion. Your moral conscience is yours alone, and some of your morality I'd see as perversion. Morality is not absolute - it is relative to circumstances. You also raise false strawmen with the fidelity argument - supposedly monogamous people face the same risks because they may not practice fidelity. You ignore history and cultures where this was accepted and worked.

I could say more, but your assertions and assumptions are erroneous and I know I won't change your mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 08:28 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInFlorida View Post
9. One has to live in willful denial and defiance to our Creator..and even resort to pretending that he doesnt exist or that a Creator isnt needed for a personal Creation as ours ; thus, it requires playing a personal charade all of ones life ...just so the people involved can live any old how they desire -- the epitomie of foolishness because it involves willful deception to Oneself.
Since I am pretty sure that there isn't a creator, I am all good there!

Old 07-18-2013, 08:54 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
I believe in a creator and I believe there is much more to his majesty/omniscience than I can even begin to fathom or explain in mere words. I don't believe in chance, coincidence, luck, karma, etc. I believe existence is perfection in and of itself.

And if I want a concubines like King Solomon, I'll by God have as many of them as I want!

Old 07-18-2013, 05:03 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
Yeah, my religion doesn't think god cares about who I have sex with, as long as I treat them all kindly.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:10 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
When your with one great person who you care about and value you see no need to want anyone else.

I think most people would agree with me

Old 07-18-2013, 05:47 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
When your with one great person who you care about and value you see no need to want anyone else.

I think it's very possible that most people are inherently monogamous. Just like most people are heterosexual, and most people want kids.

I disagree with your implication that a biological majority is by definition morally superior to a minority.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:14 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
Quote:
1. It is a misdirection and misapplication of what love is supposed to be according to our Creator.
However since there is no reasons to subscribe to such a fairy tale it is hardly relevant to this thread. There is nothing to suggest love is "supposed" to be anything or that there even is a "creator" who gives a hoot. So lets keep this real here.

Quote:
2. It is a perversion .
Because you say so? No thanks. I see nothing wrong with it.

Quote:
3. It almost always fuels jealousy among the women .
You have statistics or citations or studies to back this claim up or did you just pull it out of the air for something to type?

Quote:
4. It is a very poor example to children that come along , or, to existing children in the locale that hear about it or that see it.
No. It is not. Expressing love and engaging in a healthy and successful and happy relationship is never a "poor example" to anyone. There are enough "poor examples" of how to engage in relationships in this world without you imaginging more.

Secondly this "point" from you pre-supposes itself. It is only a bad example if it itself actually bad. However given your premise is that it is bad - you are therefore using your own conclusion to support your own conclusion. That is - at best - weak.

Quote:
5. If one of the women gets pregnant, will the other 2 women completely embrace that child as if it were their own (?) Problems can arise big time.
There is no yes no answer to this. All people are different. I can certainly give you the report from MY personal experience of living with two women however. When we announced to the youngest girl that the oldest one was pregnant her INSTANT reaction - so instant it could only be heartfelt and not pre-meditated in any way - was to squeal joyfully "Oh my god we are going to be mommies!!!". Our life in the 2.9ish years since the birth of that baby has only served to confirm that original squeal from her and the level of love she has for our daugther is indistinguihable from any parents.

Further your argument is a bigger nonsense when you imagine the amount of adoptive and fostering parents in the world who are no less attached to "their" children than had they birthed them themselves.

Quote:
6. We are not to live according to the dictates of our mind or will ; rather, we are supposed to live in accordance to our moral Conscience given by the Creator.
Your "point" 6 here is essentially a repetition of point 1. So my reply to it remains similarly identical. Stick to the facts here. Keep fairy tales out of the discussion thanks.

Quote:
7. Theres no guarantee that everyone will remain monogamous with your Trouser Snake , and could very well bring to the bedroom permanent STD's of which 2-3 are fatal , from an outside fling.
Your "points" are delving into irrelevance more and more as they proceed. The above is true of ANY relationship. There is NEVER a guarantee that everyone in the relationship will maintain fidelity in that relatonship.

One however _could_ bring arguments to the table that people in a relationship with more than 2 people in it are in fact less likely to cheat for a variety of reasons.

Quote:
8. It destroys the fabric of a nation if such a thing becomes widespread because it is illicit and that always carried with it consequences. The Creator has given us absolute moral laws to live by so we can avoid that finality.
And you return once again to point 1 where you imagine a creator and some kind of objective moral law system which seemingly exist only in your own head. Keep your religious notions out of here until you can evidence them. Otherwise you are just making stuff up to support an otherwise baseless position. And if one has to make stuff up to support a position - what does that say about the position?

Clue: Nothing good. Or even neutral. It is all bad.

[quote=DaveInFlorida;30544669] 9. One has to live in willful denial and defiance to our Creator..[quote]

And once again "point" 9 is the same as 8, which was the same as 6 which was the same as 1.

Quote:
resort to pretending that he doesnt exist
Who is pretending? There is no reason to think there is one. No pretending required therefore. I also do not go around pretending there is NOT an little green alien sitting on my shoulder. I do not need to given there is no reason to think there IS a little green alien sitting on my shoulder.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:17 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
Quote:
I am in one of these relationships. I felt no "need" or "want" to get into it. It just evolved on its own time in its own ways. So you are in many ways entirely right AND entirely wrong in the above statement. At the end of the day three hearts met and their lives evolved in such a way as they could not imagine spending the rest of their lives without the others and so a relationship was formed. There was no pre-meditation or "need" there until it just happened.

Quote:
So do most people - most of the time - it seems. It is an illusion we all do well to ditch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships