Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 03:23 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times

Advertisements

They marry because they are madly, crazily, head-over-heels in love, have intense, wildly passionate sex (way better than anything younger people have), go on awesome adventures together, and want to grow old together.

At least, that's who I would marry, and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 03:24 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,373 times
Wow...

My grandpa was married to my grandma around 30 years before she passed away. 5 years later he got remarried for another 10ish years until she passed away.

Now, he's late 70's and has a gf around 10-15 years younger. He's happier now than I can ever remember. He's having a blast with this younger lady.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:29 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You haven't been around here much, I take it. You'd be surprised how many people here, and it's mostly the college students and 20-somethings, say they plan to be child-free their whole lives, and are looking for a partner who feels the same. Marriage is not about raising a family. Marriage isn't even necessarily about sex. It's about companionship, mutual support and bonding, a basic human need. It's the people who miss that basic fact and think it's about sex (and therefore they have to marry someone "hot") who are usually the ones who come back crying about a cheating spouse, or one who doesn't like sex, or one who "let themselves go", etc. etc.

It does sound funny to hear older people talk about a bf or gf, but...what else are they supposed to call them? With musical chair marriage these days, not to mention death/bereavement, people date at all ages. Deal with it. It might be you at 65, playing the field.
Exactly.

I know several seniors that have been widowed after long term relationships, that simply have trouble functioning with all of the lonlieness and bereavment. Sex isn't necessarily the point, but especially for older ladies, they feel vunerable without someone there.

As folks age they also can lose the ability to take care of themselves, and need the support and assistance of someone else.
It can also be something as simple as wanting to still feel wanted and valuable, or just not wanting to attend functions alone.

Perhaps they have no-one to leave their estates to, but their new spouse does so that land or other holdings may be passed on.

I understand this thread is a thinly veiled pro homosexual "marriage" thread, and I can understand where there are overlaps, but while I do support civil unions for homosexuals, calling it marriage simply undermines the sanctity of what marriage is supposed to be in my opinion.

For elderly or seniors, marriage can prolong lives, bring joy to an emply home, expand a family, give value to those that feel discarded or depressed from lonlieness.
I see a real value to elderly folks finding someone to share their golden years with for enrichment. Without doubt, having someone to share your life with in your retirement immeasureable improves the quality of life for elderly people.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:34 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
Some minor reasons for getting married when older:

Tax reasons, although in some cases it may be better to remain single.

To become next of kin. If one of you ends up in the hospital, the other may not be allowed to visit or see that their wishes are followed. A distant relative would have more say.

Medical benefits. Some benefits don't include a significant other as a covered dependent. A spouse is usually automatically covered.

Lower insurance rates. I know when I was married, my auto policy was reduced. I don't know if it is still done today though.

Shared property. In the event of death, property ownership may be disputed by distant relatives. It's less likely if married.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:42 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
Yes, people only want to marry to raise kids *rolls eyes* I swear, this forum is populated by some real winners.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:43 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
OP, your ignorance is astounding. Hopefully you'll figure it out someday when you're an old and decrepit 50. And lots of child-bearing women aren't married (around 40%), so your argument fails at that end of the age range too.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:12 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
when I hear older people around 50 or older talking about dating for some reason it just seems like they're too old for that? when an old guy calls a lady his girlfriend that sounds like something only a high school / college age person says, not something a middle aged or senior citizen would say

most people marry to raise a family and if the woman is past child bearing age she's not marriage material, if your not going to raise a family the marriage isnt necessary in my opinion
LOLOLOLOLOLOL - you think 50 is "old"

Old 07-15-2013, 04:14 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
when I hear older people around 50 or older talking about dating for some reason it just seems like they're too old for that? when an old guy calls a lady his girlfriend that sounds like something only a high school / college age person says, not something a middle aged or senior citizen would say

most people marry to raise a family and if the woman is past child bearing age she's not marriage material, if your not going to raise a family the marriage isnt necessary in my opinion
I can understand the question asked in the title of the thread. Depending on how much assets are involved and who has those assets, it might not be a good idea to get married that late in life.

Now, the body of the original post seems unrelated from the title of the thread.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:16 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Apparently anyone "around" 50 is old..jeeze, 48 is near 50!!

Don't people under 20 call anyone older than them "old"? Heck, 28 is old to an 11 year old

Old 07-15-2013, 04:19 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
haha! I missed that detail! I know 50-year-olds who are routinely mistaken for 20-somethings or 30-year-olds. The OP himself may have hit on a 40- or 50-year old himself without knowing it. Times have changed radically since 50 was considered "old" and "over the hill".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships