Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 03:06 AM

9 posts, read 7,911 times

Advertisements

So i am 20 years old and i havent had a girlfriend ever, and i admit i am overweight and out of shape.this i am working on. But ive always been told, kind of a cliche; that when it comes to love age nor looks matter.

But since the fact remains that ive never had a girlfriend, it worries me that i may never get a girlfriend. Part of this may be because i have Aspergers Syndrome, which is a type of autism that is basically social anxiety and awkwardness. This i am sure cant help the situation.

Anyways with that being said, ive always seen relatives that are older and like me over weight; find partners and get married. My aunt actually did this about a year ago. Really i just sometimes wish i could find someone who i can be with like that and understands me and enjoys being around me. Im not looking for sex or super model girls. Im just looking for a girlfriend that i can spend time with that will "become my best friend" so to speak. Why is it i cant find a girlfriend like that or a girlfriend at all for that matter?

Last edited by cadena; 07-16-2013 at 03:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 04:44 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,306 times
Nobody can help you but you.
Can you tell what you did to find a girl?
It doesn't matter how much is your weight to find a soulmate.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:03 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Do you get out and interact with people regularly?

Old 07-16-2013, 11:05 AM

9 posts, read 7,911 times
i do occasionally try to get out an interact with people but sometimes i feel people just dont understand me probably because of aspergers. lll say something wierd on accident and people are immediately turned off by me, like they dont know what to say to me and end up walking away. I have had this happen more than once actually. so its hard to make friends for me, even when i explain to them what aspergers is it makes this more difficult. Much less find a girlfriend, that is attracted to me and understands. But i cant seem to understand why people are so rejected towards people like me or towards me specifically. Is it something im doing? how do i fix this?

Last edited by cadena; 07-16-2013 at 11:35 AM..

Old 07-16-2013, 04:27 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
Can you give some examples as to what your conversations are, and what you feel like you say wrong?

Old 07-16-2013, 04:46 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadena View Post
So i am 20 years old and i havent had a girlfriend ever, and i admit i am overweight and out of shape.this i am working on. But ive always been told, kind of a cliche; that when it comes to love age nor looks matter.

But since the fact remains that ive never had a girlfriend, it worries me that i may never get a girlfriend. Part of this may be because i have Aspergers Syndrome, which is a type of autism that is basically social anxiety and awkwardness. This i am sure cant help the situation.

Anyways with that being said, ive always seen relatives that are older and like me over weight; find partners and get married. My aunt actually did this about a year ago. Really i just sometimes wish i could find someone who i can be with like that and understands me and enjoys being around me. Im not looking for sex or super model girls. Im just looking for a girlfriend that i can spend time with that will "become my best friend" so to speak. Why is it i cant find a girlfriend like that or a girlfriend at all for that matter?
I hate to say this, but you are way to young to hit the panic button yet.
Come back 15 years from now, and if you are still unable to get a gf, then post a venting thread.

For the 50,000,000 time to every post just like this, improve your SELF worth. Educate yourself. Be healthy. Get a hobby or 10. Stay out of trouble. Oh, and the ever so popular, "go workout".

Old 07-16-2013, 08:01 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
volunteer at a battered womans shelter....less competition, and a nice guy will stand out..

Old 07-16-2013, 09:01 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I don't know who told you that, rest assured, age and looks matter.

I would try on line dating. Put in your profile that you are looking for someone to have fun and get in shape with. Explain upfront that you have Asperger's and how it affects your relationships.

In the meantime, go workout, join some clubs (meetup.com), get hobbies and have fun working on yourself.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-16-2013, 09:40 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,680 times
You could try therapy or an Asperger's support group.

I would actually wonder if the opposite of Mikala's advice is possibly helpful --- don't make such a big deal out of Asperger's. 100 years ago there was no such concept, even though people with this condition existed. Somehow they got by without throwing their label out there like its a scarlet letter, because the label didn't exist. People don't understand you ? Well, they don't understand me either, but I can make some friends. We call ourselves "eccentric" or "weird". ...

But anyways, therapy or support group is a good idea I think.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:03 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Lose weight
Gain muscle
Get a haircut
Buy stylish clothes
Learn to socialize
Experience interesting experiences
Get interesting hobbies

...and you should be set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships