Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 05:21 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,100,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
DOES it work for these families? I think tired resentful husband is a bad thing. Isn't he a member of the family?
I guess my feeling is that I don't really know the inner workings of other people's families. And I don't think it's any of my business. The woman in my son's gym class who is a SAHM with a full time nanny is young and gorgeous. She had a baby 3 months ago and could model a bikini. Her husband is 25 years older than her. Somehow, I don't think that he is tired and resentful of her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 05:23 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,144,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I guess my feeling is that I don't really know the inner workings of other people's families.
Nope. Nor do I care.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:25 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,368,025 times
Quote:
Nope. Nor do I care.
You care enough to be engaged in this discussion.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:27 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,144,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
You care enough to be engaged in this discussion.

The poster asked what we each expected from a SAHP. I shared what I expected of myself and elaborated as to the why. That people are going to disagree with me does not hurt my feelings one whit.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:32 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,137,989 times
Quote:
DOES it work for these families? I think tired resentful husband is a bad thing. Isn't he a member of the family?
I think the tired, resentful husband thing is Internet hyperbole or reality TV. Maybe I'm just not in the mix with those types. With that said, I don't know why anybody cares or think it's their business.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:34 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,028,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
I suppose to some a pedicure is more important than raising their own children and not having a stranger do it for them. Ive worked in some extremely wealthy areas in NW burbs of chicago, and while none of the women worked, they spent 90% of their time shopping at the malls, getting their hair and pedicures done, while complaining about how their husbands put a limit on their platinum credit cards, with both nanny and a maid working full time in their homes. How disgusting is that? Raise your own kids, women have done so for thousands of years. you can also clean your home, in between mroning soaps and being lazy on the couch.
A pedicure takes all of 60 minutes. All of a sudden someone getting a pedicure is not NOT raising their children. Good Lord.
I stayed home with my kids. I had 4 within 5 1/2 years...my life was nothing like you describe.

My favorite was always taking the kids to the OB's office. Yeah, that's fun!

Old 07-17-2013, 05:37 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,137,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
A pedicure takes all of 60 minutes. All of a sudden someone getting a pedicure is not NOT raising their children. Good Lord.
I stayed home with my kids. I had 4 within 5 1/2 years...my life was nothing like you describe.

My favorite was always taking the kids to the OB's office. Yeah, that's fun!
I'm going for a pedi and to get my hair done next Friday and my poor husband will have to hang out with his darling before he goes to work as he does everyday. I love pedi's. I wish i could take my daughter with, but I don't want to expose her to the chemicals.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:38 PM

5,122 posts, read 4,458,174 times
Quote:
It's funny how nobody is in an uproar over people hiring landscapers, but a cleaning service is a no-no. LOL
Yeah, I know.

Well I am not ashamed to admit that caring for three energetic kids under 8 can be overwhelming for me at times. Technically, I'm not a SAHM, since I work at home. But since I only work a few hours a day, I often feel like I have the schedule and all the responsibilities of a SAHM.

Young children consume all your time and energy. Just caring for them, excluding housework, grocery shopping, cooking, laundry, ironing, school-related events, sports events, etc., is exhausting. So I am happy for all the help I can get. I have a cleaning lady come to the house once a week and I still can't keep my house the way I'd like, although I pick up and clean throughout the day as much as I can.

I'll take all the help I can get--babysitters, grandparents, relatives, etc. Darn right!

Old 07-17-2013, 05:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,359,684 times
Quote:
It's funny how nobody is in an uproar over people hiring landscapers, but a cleaning service is a no-no. LOL
Hiring a landscaper actually isn't anymore a part of my personal culture than hiring a cleaning service. I don't live in an area/move in circles where either is commonplace. Nor is having a nanny. Just very different worlds.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:47 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,368,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Hiring a landscaper actually isn't anymore a part of my personal culture than hiring a cleaning service. I don't live in an area/move in circles where either is commonplace. Nor is having a nanny. Just very different worlds.

Everybody has a landscaper on Long Island. Even if you only own 1/8 of an acre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships