Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 05:48 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2013 View Post
Oh please men do this all the time
men aren't held to the same standard as women -- not by other men, and not by other women. welcome to earth, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 05:53 PM

523 posts, read 839,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
men aren't held to the same standard as women -- not by other men, and not by other women. welcome to earth, by the way.

Welcome to 2013, BTW

Old 07-18-2013, 05:56 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:

It depends on whether you see promiscuous sex as being something that can be "retracted," like a drug addict or a felon who desperately wants a clean slate. As a man, I don't want to commit to a woman who has led that sort of lifestyle. I believe it is not only emotionally damaging, but possibly a sign of psychological issues, an indicator of future infidelity, and a possible health risk.

Classic rationalization
Rationalization of what? I think that if a man won't wait until a woman is ready to have sex with him because she wants to make sure that they are on the same page emotionally before she takes the next step - he's not worth having around. It doesn't matter if she slept with guys sooner in her past. Like I said, some people learn from their past.
Quote:
i don't dispute the uniqueness of various sexual encounters.

no, my ego wouldn't be bruised. i'd view her as spiteful and/or irrational. offering herself to random dudes for years, then when it comes to the guy she ostensibly cares about, manipulating him.

well maybe i DO want her to repeat it... duh.

It's the worst of both worlds -- nobody wants to date a girl who won't sleep with them, and nobody wants to date a girl who is slutty.
Spiteful and irrational because she's learned that jumping into bed with people isn't working for her?

As for your last line - that's pathetic. I thank my lucky stars I never had any of these issues back when I was dating.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
This scenario is played out by women of all different backgrounds in America all the time and it usually works
guys with options don't put up with it. men intuitively understand that this is a really bad thing, even if women don't.

this is something you see among middle-of-the-road kind of guys, whose options are more limited.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:58 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Classic madonna/***** psychology.

(Wow, didn't know that word was edited)
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-18-2013, 06:00 PM

890 posts, read 1,649,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Some people learn from their past - and often times don't want to repeat it.
Exactly! I realized that since marriage is my ultimate goal, I couldn't keep living my life that way. Just like the quote. ." If you keep doing what you've always done, you'll keep getting what you've always gotten".

Old 07-18-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Rationalization of what?
Rationalization of something because, "The type of person who does XYZ probably isn't worth it anyway."

Like, "If he dumped you, he's an idiot and wasn't worth it anyway." That kind of rationalization. Based on a fantasy of something that's easier to digest.

Quote:
I think that if a man won't wait until a woman is ready to have sex with him because she wants to make sure that they are on the same page emotionally before she takes the next step - he's not worth having around.
This part I agree with.

Quote:
It doesn't matter if she slept with guys sooner in her past.
This part I do not.

Quote:
Spiteful and irrational because she's learned that jumping into bed with people isn't working for her?
Yes, it is irrational to make life more difficult for the person you're interested in because you used to make bad decisions.

And it could be spiteful, yes, but I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt that it is just irrational.

Quote:
As for your last line - that's pathetic. I thank my lucky stars I never had any of these issues back when I was dating.
Well things have changed a bit since the telephone was invented.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Classic madonna/***** psychology.

(Wow, didn't know that word was edited)
this has something to do with it, definitely.. and to pretend this phenomenon is going to suddenly disappear because it is 2013 is daft.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Rationalization of something because, "The type of person who does XYZ probably isn't worth it anyway."

Like, "If he dumped you, he's an idiot and wasn't worth it anyway." That kind of rationalization. Based on a fantasy of something that's easier to digest.

This part I agree with.

This part I do not.

Yes, it is irrational to make life more difficult for the person you're interested in because you used to make bad decisions.

And it could be spiteful, yes, but I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt that it is just irrational.

Well things have changed a bit since the telephone was invented.
How old do you think I am??? That's funny!

You are contradicting yourself all over the place. If someone wants to wait until she is emotionally ready whereas in the past she hasn't - how is that spiteful or irrational?

As for the rationalization part - it's not a "rationalization" if it's true. If one of my friends told me that a guy she was dating wasn't going to stick around because she wasn't ready to sleep with him - I'd tell her he wasn't worth it because he wouldn't be worth it.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
Exactly! I realized that since marriage is my ultimate goal, I couldn't keep living my life that way. Just like the quote. ." If you keep doing what you've always done, you'll keep getting what you've always gotten".
Don't worry - if someone cares about you and thinks you have a future together - they'll wait. They probably won't wait indefinitely but they'll wait until you are ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships