U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 09:10 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,812,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I don't get grown men being into my little pony.......
Perhaps there's something about the show's message (what ever that may be) that has a wide reaching appeal. Maybe someone can explain it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 09:18 PM

3,050 posts, read 2,724,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Whaaaaaaattttt!!! this is not true, is it?
It is.

There actually is a post somewhere in the TV forum about it, and one of the "bronies" on there explained it to me. I still found it confusing but eh. To each their own.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:20 PM

42,717 posts, read 45,396,561 times
Brony's is a knock at everything for females or males.It's an animation geared towards men with many smartarse comments.

It doesn't bother me.I knew one guy on here who loved it.Yet did the very hard Ironman runs.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:22 PM

42,717 posts, read 45,396,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Yes, there is a nude scene.
Lol.....I'm already there!

Old 05-27-2014, 10:20 AM

4,610 posts, read 3,927,093 times
I'm gonna venture that most of the women in this thread proclaiming their love for nerds aren't really in touch with the obsessive nature that often coincides with nerdy traits. For reference:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ain-about.html

A lot of what's being described in this thread (not the linked one) are fairly normal guys...well-read, decent looking, who happen to be into ASOIAF or X-men or whatever. While a bunch of guys fall into this category, the ones who are concerned about "not being able to find dates because they're nerdy" are not among them.

Nerdiness is something of a counter-culture, and yet the aforementioned media are some of the most popular forms of entertainment in existence (Game of Thrones is the currently the single most pirated media ever, for example) So there's a bit of a disconnect between what WAS considered nerdy, and what IS. Guys that fell into one, but are hearing such positive response about the other will come here, read an abundance of posts about how much women love nerdy guys, then leave confused.

Then we'll see the posts a month later from the same guys talking about why they're dateless. So while there are women out there that are genuinely into nerdy guys, I'd imagine that a few of them in this thread are a little misinformed.

Edit: Reminded myself of Maddox's site, which I think is an interesting injection to this topic. Nerds recognize him as being nerdy. Everyone else would probably write him off as a manosphere blogger, despite being pretty much anything but.

You're not a nerd

Some clips: "Someone forgot to give the 'nerds-are-sexy' memo to my friends, because most of them are nerds and none of them are getting laid"

"If you have to tell people you're a nerd, chances are you're not"

"If you think geeks are so sexy or cool, bang one. Go to any university and find a computer or physic lab at 2am and take your pick"

Old 05-27-2014, 10:24 AM

3,050 posts, read 2,724,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
I'm gonna venture that most of the women in this thread proclaiming their love for nerds aren't really in touch with the obsessive nature that often coincides with nerdy traits. For reference:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ain-about.html

A lot of what's being described in this thread (not the linked one) are fairly normal guys...well-read, decent looking, who happen to be into ASOIAF or X-men or whatever. While a bunch of guys fall into this category, the ones who are concerned about "not being able to find dates because they're nerdy" are not among them.

Nerdiness is something of a counter-culture, and yet the aforementioned media are some of the most popular forms of entertainment in existence (Game of Thrones is the currently the single most pirated media ever, for example) So there's a bit of a disconnect between what WAS considered nerdy, and what IS. Guys that fell into one, but are hearing such positive response about the other will come here, read an abundance of posts about how much women love nerdy guys, then leave confused.

Then we'll see the posts a month later from the same guys talking about why they're dateless. So while there are women out there that are genuinely into nerdy guys, I'd imagine that a few of them in this thread are a little misinformed.

Edit: Reminded myself of Maddox's site, which I think is an interesting injection to this topic. Nerds recognize him as being nerdy. Everyone else would probably write him off as a manosphere blogger, despite being pretty much anything but.

You're not a nerd, geeks aren't sexy and you don't "****ing love" science.
But those are geeks, not nerds. I explain the difference a few posts back.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
But those are geeks, not nerds. I explain the difference a few posts back.
Some people are intent on separating the difference. For some, they are interchangeable. I know people that lay out the definitions just like you did, but rearranged. So it's not exactly "clear". For reference, compare your definition of nerd/geek/dork to the OP, which specifically reference some traits that you call "geeky" rather than "nerdy". I'm not trying to pick a fight about that, just noting that I think there aren't hard and fast "definitions" for each, and that the people who maintain that there are...can't agree on them.

As an aside, I have a friend that tries to differentiate between "douchebags" and "tools", regarding men she's attracted to. Is there a fundamental difference? Or is it more likely that she's just trying to explain her attraction away in a manner that seems legitimate? I submit that it's the second.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Would you date someone who likes science, comics and movies like X-men, Fantastic 4, Avengers, etc? Whom is obsessive about computers? Bronies? Playing video games? Plays board games?

This person can be a good guy and hold a good job. A great thinker. But usually aren't too street smart(about the social norms of every day life).

Could you date a person like this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
Nerds are intelligent and can speak about many different subjects. They love learning and enjoy many intellectual pursuits.

Geeks typically are well-versed in certain areas that are characteristic of geekdom: comics, sci-fi, fantasy, etc. However, they are not necessarily well read outside of those genres.

Dorks are socially awkward but not necessarily intelligent.
For reference.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:27 AM

943 posts, read 872,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhenzanite View Post
Absolutely! I'd love someone to go to PAX, Comicons and do Cosplay with me! Or play video games until 3am or geek out about Carl Sagan or go to Makers Faire.

I'm making a trip next month to go help clean up Tesla's lab in NY so hopefully I'll be able to find a few other nerds there
Geez Rhenz, I love that stuff too! I haven't had much time to do it lately with starting a new job. But, I have wanted to go with a like minded person to do these things with. Ummm, I'm not a guy, but there is probably one or two out there who would like that too, I'm sure.
(P.S. If you are in the Bay Area, pm me!)

Old 05-27-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foclampt View Post
Geez Rhenz, I love that stuff too! I haven't had much time to do it lately with starting a new job. But, I have wanted to go with a like minded person to do these things with. Ummm, I'm not a guy, but there is probably one or two out there who would like that too, I'm sure.
(P.S. If you are in the Bay Area, pm me!)
Just went through my phone, and came up with 17 names of single guys that would FLIP OUT to not have to do those things solo. And 2 married ones. Not Bay area though...sorry! Mostly a combination of Vegas/Phoenix/LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships