U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 09:17 AM

15,729 posts, read 18,521,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Would you date someone who likes science, comics and movies like X-men, Fantastic 4, Avengers, etc? Whom is obsessive about computers? Bronies? Playing video games? Plays board games?
No...I would have nothing in common with someone like this. Ironically my husband is a "nerd" but nothing like you describe here. Both of his degrees are in engineering, though he does more of the business end of it now.

He does have his "nerd" vices but for the most part he's what I would consider "rugged". I feel like I have the best of both worlds

And WTF is a bronie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 09:42 AM

24,330 posts, read 34,369,751 times
Im a member of a geek meetup and no one has trouble finding dates or opposite sex attention.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:09 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,603,206 times
Of course I would!

I'd rather date a nerd than a dummy

Old 07-19-2013, 10:24 AM

7,846 posts, read 11,148,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Ten signs you're dating an engineer:

1. When you don’t hear from them all weekend you don’t get worried. You know it’s just because they’ve been at home, gaming in their pajamas.
2. They turn every bowling and mini golf date into a lecture on geometric trajectories.
3. You want to celebrate Valentines Day on 2/14 and they want to celebrate Pi Day on 3/14.
4. They keep a database of all the restaurants you’ve been on dates at to maximize cuisine variation.
5. Movie night always leads to an argument: you want a romantic comedy and they want the latest documentary on building rockets.
6. When you tell them “words can’t express how I feel for you”, they suggest that you quantify it mathematically instead.
7. You love to act spontaneously, while they need to run a Monte Carlo simulation to determine the optimal course of action
8. They never talk about their feelings and when you tell them it feels like you’re dating a robot, they take it as a compliment.
9. You don’t mind when they tell their friends details about your relationship, because you know they’re just reporting what it’s like to actually be in a relationship.
10. When you talk about being together forever they launch into a discussion on the theoretical applications of physical infinity.

Wise Advise For Dating an Engineer - Love Engineer

Top Story: Why Engineers Make The Best Boyfriends/Husbands | The Dangerous Lee News & Entertainment Network

This sounds just like The Big Bang Theory LOL

Old 07-19-2013, 10:28 AM

11,737 posts, read 14,755,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The assumption that anybody with an interest in pursuits deemed nerdy isn't interested in going out and experiencing life is a flawed one.
As I stated, as described in this thread, nerds are not appealing to me. The OP said they are "obsessive" about comics, games, etc. Not my type.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:34 AM

16,925 posts, read 13,650,515 times
I married a video game addicted guy. Never met a person before who plays so I had no clue.

I dropped his playstation. I dropped his X-box (that was tougher, it took two incidences with concrete floor until it broke) so he moved on to computer war games.

Never ever again. I would NEVER date anybody like this again. I thought it is better to have him sit at home and play games as going out with friends and hanging out in bars (I am a very jealous person).

Well - we couldnt go anywhere for long because he had to rush home to play. He got bored quickly at whatever else we did instead and needed to go back home to play. He couldnt do ANYTHING useful at home because he was too tied up with PLAYING. Day and night. Weekdays and weeknights, weekends. I went to bed alone every night because he had to stay up longer to PLAY. I am just glad he still went to work.

NEVER EVER AGAIN. EVER.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:36 AM

11,737 posts, read 14,755,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
No...I would have nothing in common with someone like this. Ironically my husband is a "nerd" but nothing like you describe here. Both of his degrees are in engineering, though he does more of the business end of it now.

He does have his "nerd" vices but for the most part he's what I would consider "rugged". I feel like I have the best of both worlds

And WTF is a bronie?
Yeah. The obsessive game playing, comic book collecting, Avengers movie superfan is just not appealing to me. A little nerd goes a long way and I don't think I could take much more.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:40 AM

6,023 posts, read 5,610,494 times
Hell I married one. And now I have seen every episode of every version of Star Trek at least 3 times. Not to mention my knowledge of comic books (ahem, GRAPHIC NOVELS) has shot through the roof. That is valuable information right there.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:48 AM

509 posts, read 682,146 times
Well, I met my husband 18 years ago at a comic shop we mutually visited. Friends for awhile first, played Magic, D&D, went to comic conventions and had many many marathon overnight 4-player Doom deathmatches. Moved on to Diablo, Starcraft, Everquest, etc etc.

So, yes In fact it would probably be a requirement if I, horror of horrors, had to start dating for some reason.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:13 AM

5,121 posts, read 5,713,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I married a video game addicted guy. Never met a person before who plays so I had no clue.
Some gamers are like that... and it's sad. Video games are their life and they center their lives around it. But you know, any man addicted to anything is no fun whether it be video games, sporting events, TV, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships