Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 08:25 AM

13,641 posts, read 9,696,571 times

Advertisements

The DeAnna Lorraine video linked above makes two eminent accomplishments: it insults both engineers and women! Women, according to that video, are impulsive and spineless creatures, who revel in idiotic play and are unable to grasp facts. They recoil from substantive knowledge and base their judgments, to the extent that they can judge at all, on vapidly superficial cues, utterly missing the big picture. Who wrote the script for that video? Saul of Tarsus?

As for engineers – oh my, poor creatures! They can not speak, they are execrably ignorant of culture, they mumble and stare at their feet, and carry tensors instead of testicles. How did evolution ever allow the dead-end branch of sub-species Homo Enginericus?

Let me instead propose an alternative view. Our formative years, the years where we self-identify with society and especially with the opposite sex, are roughly the years 15-25… high-school through graduate school. In those years, the engineering-oriented students are busy studying, not flirting or gallivanting about. They do learn how to write and how to speak, but in the service of practical causes, and not the slippery concoctions of manipulating the gullible. They don’t join fraternities, don’t smoke pot, don’t run off to South Padre Island for spring break, don’t “hook up” and don’t dissipate themselves through the inanities that now too often define the trappings of modernity. So they emerge in young-adulthood ill equipped for the idiom of modern America, even if they have been American for 10 generations. They then move to locales where the employment for engineering is best, which typically is not New York City or any gleaming downtown teeming with youth. They devote themselves to building their careers, their professional reputations, their fortunes. This in no way means that they’re unfamiliar with Dante or Chaucer; they might even write poetry themselves. But who, on that oil derrick or missile silo or research lab in the wind-swept desert, will appreciate sonnets?

Engineers miss the easy opportunities that come early in life, blooming late and consequently entering maturity at a disadvantage. But let’s not mistake this disadvantage for intellectual handicap or the narrow-mindedness of maniacal devotion to numbers at the expense of blindness to all else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 02:01 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
The reason I asked is because I too earned an engineering degree and I was envious of the one or two chicks in the classes, especially the labs, who had all the attention of the other students. Everybody wanted to be the lab partner or team partner with the chicks in the class.
That definitely didn't happen to me... I was often paired up with whoever came in late to class...but there were a few 'pretty' girls who were in my classes who got help all the time. In fact, I know at least 2 that shouldn't have graduated because they let the guys do all their work. It was pathetic.

But like I said, I was definitely not treated any different than the other guys.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:12 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,225,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
You don't need a girlfriend. Go out and do stuff. Take some classes, join a cooking/dance class. You won't be able to do anything once you have that relationship to take care of.

Read my status. Keep saying that over and over. The urge, the feelings, the emotion and the need go away almost entirely.

You don't need a girlfriend.
Get a hooker, find one that will give you a good rate for what ever it is you want done 3-4 times a week, sometimes they do bulk discounts if your a client that is a sure thing. You can probably start networking on craigslist but if you want a really good rate they are probably not going to be the hottest hookers.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:15 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,225,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
That definitely didn't happen to me... I was often paired up with whoever came in late to class...but there were a few 'pretty' girls who were in my classes who got help all the time. In fact, I know at least 2 that shouldn't have graduated because they let the guys do all their work. It was pathetic.

But like I said, I was definitely not treated any different than the other guys.
But you are a better mechanic/engineer as a result. If someone should not have their degree/license then it will be found out soon and hopefully they don't get anyone killed before they are discovered. There is a reason the powers that be make it hard to get these titles because peoples lives are on the line if things fail.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:38 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,338 times
Davalos: I'm going to be honest with you man. I don't wish you any bad luck or ill will, but hearing you compalin on every thread and ignoring some very useful advice by many posters makes me pretty upset. It sounds like you want advice, but always have a counter agrument to disprove someone else's experience. So let's say your 5'4, 20 lbs overweight, a bid nerdy, socially akward, and maybe a 3 on the proverbial looks scale. Why don't you make it a priority to wake up tomorrow and say that today is going to be the start of a new day and as a result, a new me. Wake up 30 minutes earlier and take a brisk walk. Eat something healthy for breakfast. Visit the mall and talk to one of the sales girls to see if they can find you a few shirts and pants that look good on you. Get yourself a cool pair of shades as well.

Most importantly, stop going out and expecting results. You are setting yourself up for immediate failure. Your not going to get any play at a bar, because A - you don't have any game nor confidence, and B - well most guys end up going home alone anyway. Stop telling yourself that you are going to talk to atleast one random girl, or obtain a phone number before the night is over, becuase you are only going to get nervous about approaching someone, and when and if you do, you will come off clumsy and have your esteem hurt even more when your over-analyze all of the distant and cold non-verbal cues and signals you receive.

If and when you meet someone its going to be when your least expect it. You don't have to be someone your aren't, but you need to take things slow and not go out with any specific expectations other than to have a good time.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:46 PM

220 posts, read 363,584 times
I guarantee that you are not too ugly. Your problem is that your confidence is low. If you don't have it, pretend you have it, and it will make a huge difference.

Here's a little trick I learned that works for practice:

Anytime you walk into a building or establishment, close your eyes for a moment and pretend that you are the owner. You own this place, it is yours, and you're here to make sure things are running the way you want them. If you practice this, you'll notice that you walk a little different, talk a little different, and you'll exude confidence. Body language is HUGE. I promise you can find a girlfriend, and a good one too. Women want a man who's confident, #1.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:10 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,222,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

Lol, I was one of the guys that gave help to the pretty girls. Couldn't help myself from not helping them, especially with the cute pouting face that one of them made. I was so easy to manipulate back then.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:26 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,341,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
That's got to be it.

And now I'm stuck in what I find to be another horrible place for dating: Spokane. It's almost as bad as State College, and the weather is worse.

And I have to deal with all sorts of other family issues and a crappy job that takes it all out of me. And therefore, I'd never have time to date even if there were someone I could date in this place, which there is not. I don't have enough money to pick up and leave. I'm stuck here for the forseeable future.

I was destined to never live in a good place for dating (which I haven't).

I was destined to be too shy when everyone else was learning how to date.

I was destined to be too ugly for women that are even remotely attractive to me to be interested in me.

That is all garbage that has put me in this situation that I am in, that I am never going to have a girlfriend.

And with that, I quit the forum.

Sometimes, I hope I'm destined to be single forever...

Old 07-21-2013, 05:22 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,035 times
If the OP is somewhat ugly but has money I think he can get ok enough women, but not 7 to 10 rated women. Even if you're a handsome man, if you have no career or money then you probably won't get a woman, unless the woman is rich and is somehow attracted by your looks.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer and I probably can get good enough women but my career sucks so that's why I'm single.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:27 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,271,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
If the OP is somewhat ugly but has money I think he can get ok enough women, but not 7 to 10 rated women. Even if you're a handsome man, if you have no career or money then you probably won't get a woman, unless the woman is rich and is somehow attracted by your looks.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer and I probably can get good enough women but my career sucks so that's why I'm single.
Your delusional if you only think you can get "good enough" women if your some bigshot lawyer or something of the like. Sure maybe not a 10, but 6 or 7 is hardly looks like a horse. Plus who only wants a 10....half the time their dead in the head. Ill take a 6 or a 7 if they have a brain and can keep up a conversation.

Your really putting too much thought into this.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships