Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 12:01 AM

70 posts, read 97,337 times

Advertisements

The overwhelming majority of men I know who are in relationships kind of stumbled into it. None of these guys are the type to be dating various women while being single - more like they were single for huge periods of time until they were lucky enough to find a girl through friends or work or something who liked them. I know very very very few men who can be single and have no problem dating multiple women. My best friend is an example of this - good looking smart young dude from a rich family who is a fantastic guy...he was damn near permanently single for 3 or 4 years until he stumbled onto his current girlfriend. I know guys at my gym who are extremely good looking and extremely kind/friendly who I've never seen with a girl in years and years that I've known them

Why is it so incredibly difficult for most men to be successful with women? I don't even believe all the crap on the net posted about looks, status, personality, confidence or income...I know plenty guys with most or even all those traits who have very little dating success. I'm completely baffled by what it takes to do well in dating

I mean obviously the opposite of that is not true... Most of these girls that my friends are dating would have 50 guys ready to date them the second they would break up with their current boyfriends so why does this imbalance exist?

Are there a larger number of men who find dating to be manageable and I'm just not finding them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 12:06 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Where I come from, South FL, there were many young fellows who dated multiple women at the same time. In my current town there seems to be less dating scene and more of a hook-up scene.

Maybe it's the type of people you hang out with, since you don't appear to be successful with women yourself.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Where I come from, South FL, there were many young fellows who dated multiple women at the same time. In my current town there seems to be less dating scene and more of a hook-up scene.

Maybe it's the type of people you hang out with, since you don't appear to be successful with women yourself.

I hang out with people who are into working out and looking good, going out and socializing, partying and having fun, working hard and trying to be very successful...isn't that what everybody on the internet claims that dating success as a man is all about?

Mod cut: Inappropriate terminology.

But I can seriously count the number of men I know who can be single and still have options on one hand

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-20-2013 at 07:50 PM..

Old 07-20-2013, 12:20 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
One of the biggest myths on the internet, among young men, is that women's dry spells are not as long as men's.

I think the main difference is that women think it's normal to go several years without a date, so they don't come to forums and ask what is wrong with them/life/the world/men/etc.

I'm not sure why that is. Do men IRL lie to each other about how they are getting laid all the time, like men in movies do? Women don't.

Quote:
...he was damn near permanently single for 3 or 4 years until he stumbled onto his current girlfriend.
That's how it is for beautiful women, and average ones, and ugly ones, IRL.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
One of the biggest myths on the internet, among young men, is that women's dry spells are not as long as men's.

LMAO @ female dry spell. Any halfway cute woman is getting approached about a 100 times a year (at the very least). Obviously, a certain percentage of that will be losers and creeps but there are plenty of normal and high quality men in that group

Female dry spell is voluntary. She stays single because she can't find a guy who is everything that she wants

When my sister lived with our family, she would get approached at least 20-30 times a month. If she actually tried to look cute and went out to socialize, it was closer to 50-100 times a month

Quote:
I'm not sure why that is. Do men IRL lie to each other about how they are getting laid all the time, like men in movies do?
not that I'm aware off

Mod cut: Off topic.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-20-2013 at 07:52 PM..

Old 07-20-2013, 12:29 AM

845 posts, read 1,349,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRites View Post
I hang out with people who are into working out and looking good, going out and socializing, partying and having fun, working hard and trying to be very successful...isn't that what everybody on the internet claims that dating success as a man is all about?

Orphaned.

But I can seriously count the number of men I know who can be single and still have options on one hand
The truth can be a lot of things. For one; I believe guys just are losing interest in dating, or more so long term relationships. The guys who are interested in your female friend aren't necessarily looking for a relationship.

On the other side, women are usually asked out by tons of men. It really only takes that one guy to "stir the pot" or get them at least interested.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-20-2013 at 07:53 PM..

Old 07-20-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
The truth can be a lot of things. For one; I believe guys just are losing interest in dating, or more so long term relationships. The guys who are interested in your female friend aren't necessarily looking for a relationship.
I don't know if I agree with you. I think plenty of guys would like a relationship

I would forfeit my next 25K in earnings at work for the opportunity to go out on a few dates with different single women for the chance to date one of them. I've wanted a relationship since I was 16

Quote:
On the other side, women are usually asked out by tons of men. It really only takes that one guy to "stir the pot" or get them at least interested.

Definitely agreed here

Old 07-20-2013, 12:49 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Eh....I've been single for a bit over 4 years and the only guys who have 'approached' me were catcalling me, saying lewd things about my chest/legs/feet/body, were 30+ years older than me or just wanted to hook up.

I can count on one hand the amount of times I've been approached for an actual date by someone who wasn't lewd or gross.

I know plenty of women like that as well...so it's not just guys who go through dry spells. Getting approached 50 times in a month? That seems absolutely crazy to me.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:09 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Eh....I've been single for a bit over 4 years and the only guys who have 'approached' me were catcalling me, saying lewd things about my chest/legs/feet/body, were 30+ years older than me or just wanted to hook up.

I can count on one hand the amount of times I've been approached for an actual date by someone who wasn't lewd or gross.

I know plenty of women like that as well...so it's not just guys who go through dry spells. Getting approached 50 times in a month? That seems absolutely crazy to me.
Have you noticed a difference between Boston or California? Do people in New England say lewd thing more or less than California?

Old 07-20-2013, 04:29 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,700 times
I prefer to stumble into a relationship than be successful with women. I had a friend who was successful with women. They came to him and that made him an egomaniac. A different woman every night even when he had girlfriends and a fiancee. I have no interest in such behavior at all. If I stumble into a relationship, great. If not, that's ok too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships