Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 12:29 AM

296 posts, read 571,508 times

Advertisements

How prevalent is this phenomenon? Are there quite a few dudes who for whatever reason just cannot find a partner to have sex with or is it only the lower fringes of society that have this problem? I know a number of people who I suspect are still virgins, but not for lack of trying. It's an interesting phenomena and one that is not readily made known due to the stigma of still being a male virgin past a certain age.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:38 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
Sex is not a need. It's a luxury. And believe it or not, some of the lower fringes of society have no problem getting it.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:01 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Sex is not a need. It's a luxury. And believe it or not, some of the lower fringes of society have no problem getting it.
Actually, sex is a need for most people, as any psychologist can tell you. The consequences of not getting sex are not as immediate or life threatening as the consequences of not getting food, or water. But they are every bit as real. People who are involuntarily celibate for long periods are much more prone to anxiety, depression, inappropriate outbursts of anger, social isolation and a host of other serious problems. Sex is not a luxury for most people. Sex is a requirement for mental and emotional health.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:20 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
I think just about anyone can get sex if they're desperate enough and have some extra cash. But not everyone wants to go that route, even if it means not having any sex.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Actually, sex is a need for most people, as any psychologist can tell you. The consequences of not getting sex are not as immediate or life threatening as the consequences of not getting food, or water. But they are every bit as real. People who are involuntarily celibate for long periods are much more prone to anxiety, depression, inappropriate outbursts of anger, social isolation and a host of other serious problems. Sex is not a luxury for most people. Sex is a requirement for mental and emotional health.
It is true that people are social animals. It is true that the desire for sex and companionship can be very strong for people. It is true that those placed in complete isolation in a prison can go insane, even suicidal .

...But it's not a need. Biologically the body can survive without getting sex. It might not necessarily be a pleasant survival, but it's survival indeed.

...And, if you can survive then there is no need to have sex, only a want. Thus, it's a luxury.

...Food and water. Now those are a need. Good luck surviving without food and water.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I think just about anyone can get sex if they're desperate enough and have some extra cash. But not everyone wants to go that route, even if it means not having any sex.
Doing such is illegal in most places.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:24 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Doing such is illegal in most places.
So is speeding.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:30 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times
About 20% is never married by age 40. Of course some people don't want to get married, but others are unable to. It is not unreasonable to assume 10% of men will hardly ever have sex. Considering how messed up some people are, then that is not a high percentage.

In general the ones who end up in that group are often unattractive and lack social/dating skills. Normal men may struggle to have sexual relationships during their teens, but they should be able to get some during their 20s

Old 07-21-2013, 04:58 AM

11,363 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Wrong on all accounts. I've been celibate 6 years and I suffer none of those symptoms. I also have 2 good friends of mine who are on longer droughts than the one I'm currently on. They also have none of those symptoms nor the "host of other serious problems." The theory you bought into by apparently some quack doctors is a lie and that's first hand knowledge.

More first hand knowledge for you is it's far worse for ones mental health being with someone that you shouldn't be with. Being without a partner is far better for you than the stress and turmoil of a relationship that one does not or should not be in. An example is my mental health is much stronger now than it was at the end of my marriage.

The Hurricane Kid is correct. Nothing much more to add what he accurately noted.

Last edited by John13; 07-21-2013 at 05:07 AM..

Old 07-21-2013, 05:12 AM

11,363 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortDoctor View Post
How prevalent is this phenomenon? Are there quite a few dudes who for whatever reason just cannot find a partner to have sex with or is it only the lower fringes of society that have this problem? I know a number of people who I suspect are still virgins, but not for lack of trying. It's an interesting phenomena and one that is not readily made known due to the stigma of still being a male virgin past a certain age.
For a doctor (assuming you are one) I find this an incredibly ignorant thing to say.

You of all people (from your posts) should know better.

All people should have been included in this topic, not just men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships