Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 08:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

I ask my SO's opinion on hairstyles, because I personally don't care, and appreciate the perspective. When I was single, I would just go in to my stylist, and say, "Do whatever you think would look good."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 08:55 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
I can't imagine a man asking me to change my appearance. That seems so foreign to me. However, I know that my SO hates asymmetrical clothing, so even if I were inclined to wear it, I wouldn't wear it around him.

Overall, I'd say that "here, honey, try this French maid outfit" would be about as far as I would go.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:20 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorcupandaPete View Post

A complete makeover would make me question why the hell she wanted to be with me to begin with..
My thoughts exactly.

Suggestions will be taken under advisement. But truthfully probably not implemented.
Ive had this carcass for 63 years and thru trial and error Ive pretty much got it down to wash & go.
Im not into major paint and body work on a daily basis.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
my appearance is constantly changing to adapt to its environment
we call these creatures chameleons.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:12 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I'm curious, who would be willing to change their appearance for a SO, and where would you draw the line?

For example, would you be willing to change your hair color or style... or facial hair.. but you would not be willing to lose weight or have cosmetic surgery? Would you stop wearing pants and wear only dresses? Shave off your mustache? Color your hair to hide the grey?

I wouldn't change my hair color, but I'd be open to making small adjustments to my hair style so long as it didn't have a significant impact on how long it took me to do my hair. (I dated a guy once who just loved it when my hair was curly, so I rarely used the flat iron, and would use a curling iron or do pin curls sometimes.) I wouldn't change my hair length dramatically, since i'm the one who has to style it and wear it, and I've got a haircut that actually looks good if I have to wash-n-go.

On a similar note, if I know my SO really likes a particular color on me, or a particular outfit, I'll try to wear it a little more often, but I wouldn't throw out my wardrobe and buy a new one just to make them happy.

I definitely draw the line at cosmetic surgery - that's just expensive, painful, and risky.
I wouldn't change anything about me. I see females who get highlights or whatever and I think they're really sad for doing so. If you don't like me for me, then au revoir. I would agree with you though about outfits. If he liked something I had in my wardrobe, I would wear it around him more often.
As for hair, if I was struggling on what to do with it, I'd ask for suggestions and then take it from there but apparently most men don't even notice a change in your hair unless it's dramatic.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:14 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I'm curious, who would be willing to change their appearance for a SO, and where would you draw the line?

For example, would you be willing to change your hair color or style... or facial hair.. but you would not be willing to lose weight or have cosmetic surgery? Would you stop wearing pants and wear only dresses? Shave off your mustache? Color your hair to hide the grey?

I wouldn't change my hair color, but I'd be open to making small adjustments to my hair style so long as it didn't have a significant impact on how long it took me to do my hair. (I dated a guy once who just loved it when my hair was curly, so I rarely used the flat iron, and would use a curling iron or do pin curls sometimes.) I wouldn't change my hair length dramatically, since i'm the one who has to style it and wear it, and I've got a haircut that actually looks good if I have to wash-n-go.

On a similar note, if I know my SO really likes a particular color on me, or a particular outfit, I'll try to wear it a little more often, but I wouldn't throw out my wardrobe and buy a new one just to make them happy.

I definitely draw the line at cosmetic surgery - that's just expensive, painful, and risky.
No to any changes I do not choose for myself.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:56 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,121,351 times
No, I'm not a doll, and she isn't a doll too.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:01 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
Wow, I am really surprised at all the 'definitely no' answers.

For me, my sweetie's opinion/preference is something I factor in, along with what I think looks good, what is comfortable/easy, what conveys the social messages I want to convey, what is cheap, etc., etc.

Have some of you folks had partners in the past who made unreasonable demands or something? I tend to go out with geeks who don't care much .

Old 07-23-2013, 12:08 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post

For me, my sweetie's opinion/preference is something I factor in, along with what I think looks good, what is comfortable/easy, what conveys the social messages I want to convey, what is cheap, etc., etc.

Have some of you folks had partners in the past who made unreasonable demands or something? I tend to go out with geeks who don't care much .

What matters the most is my opinion of myself.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:09 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,121,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post

I can do everything and whatever she wants, except this
So I will love her no matter what is her hair color or style etc., unless she will decide to be bald.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships