Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 01:26 PM

24,458 posts, read 17,203,514 times

Advertisements

I have always liked strong independent women who are not clingy and who can make up their own mind. I got married later in life to a 100% fine Irish woman who has her own mind and doesn't mind speaking it.
I think a woman should be "good to go" whether that means driving a stick shift, balancing the checkbook or being willing to jump in and get dirty to get the job done.
I don't get all these younger women that seem to choose to be arm candy and are happy to twirl their hair.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:41 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel06 View Post
One issue I've had in relationships is that men don't handle my independence well. So for the men on the forum, how important is it to you that your woman be dependant on you? And to what degree? Do you want us to be the helpless female who needs you to come to the rescue?
i think the 'perfect ideal' we want is sort of a contradiction, in that we want:

a) a dependent woman, in the sense that if she needs us, she's less likely to leave / divorce / cheat
b) an independent woman, in the sense that she doesn't try to monopolize our time

and that whether a man's preference leans towards a) or b) is indicative of his confidence, and his perception of whether or not he can find someone else.

Last edited by le roi; 07-23-2013 at 02:22 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 01:43 PM

355 posts, read 388,924 times
I'm one of the few guys who thinks there's no such thing as too dependant or too clingy

Old 07-23-2013, 01:45 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Each couple has to find their own balance.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:46 PM

107 posts, read 161,448 times
Face it, no straight guy is going to go after a woman who acts like a dude. Well maybe for a ONS but long term, no way. Better start adopting those cats!

Old 07-23-2013, 01:51 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404namenotfound View Post
There is a difference between a gold digger and being human and having flaws that as I guy I can help with.

A gold digger sits around and just has to look pretty, then she gets a free ride as long as she puts out and someone is willing to accept that. I'm not into that. I'd rather be with a woman that is open about the fact that she needs my help from time to time and that also makes me feel needed in her life.

Also I don't really like hyper-feminist women that are in denial about the fact that each sex has area's they excel in. I'd say women who brag about never needing any help fit into this and end up living a life where they just struggle though things unnecessarily when half the population would have next to no problem helping them. Don't take that the wrong way, I'm not saying women are inferior or something. Just that most men are more muscular and grow up in a world where men work on cars and build things.
I'm a female certified aircraft mechanic and ASE certified auto mechanic and have an engineering degree...I know more about mechanics/cars etc than the vast majority of men out there. I'm not going to pretend that I don't know how to open a car hood because it would hurt a mans ego, but I also won't step in and demand I take care of mechanical issues just because I'm more knowledgeable about them. I guess it's a balance.

Of course, I know basically nothing about computers (unless you count FMS and whatnot) and the guy I'm interested in basically knows how to build PCs and program/code so he has me covered there. He also knows way more about comic books and D&D than I do, so I'm more than happy to have him teach me and he's really good about patiently answering my dumb questions.

Like I said, it's a balance, but that doesn't mean the man automatically knows more about fixing cars and the woman is a better cook.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:55 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F2BBS View Post
Face it, no straight guy is going to go after a woman who acts like a dude. Well maybe for a ONS but long term, no way. Better start adopting those cats!
Depends on what you think 'acting like a dude' is.

Is it having interests in predominantly male activities? Is it dressing a certain way? Does it mean that she needs to be quiet, meek and subservient?

Old 07-23-2013, 02:00 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,757,868 times
Dependence vs. independence per se really doesn't matter that much to me -- as long as a woman is loving, kind, and affectionate to me, I will be 100% happy What I value the most is the degree of tenderheartedness and gentleness she has, and if that's already there, I am personally fine either way on the dependence-independence spectrum.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:05 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F2BBS View Post
Just because a woman is independent, doesn't mean she's manly. Contrary to popular belief and over exaggerated feminist stereotypes.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:06 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,545,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Depends on what you think 'acting like a dude' is.

Is it having interests in predominantly male activities? Is it dressing a certain way? Does it mean that she needs to be quiet, meek and subservient?
I'm sure you know the answer to that. and lack of feminity is usually a good sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships