Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 06:03 AM

341 posts, read 1,231,964 times

Advertisements

My bf is 23 and I'm 24. We have been together two years now and I'm his first serious relationship. In the beginning he used to be so sweet and nice. He'd hold my hand, kiss me, tell me how beautiful I am and that he was lucky, send me flowers, etc.

Now he's gotten very comfortable. He treats me like his sisters (they all live together). What I mean is he jokes around with me too much and is insensitive. I always have to ask for a hug, kiss, or cuddling...he even stopped saying I love you when we go to sleep. Sometimes he will say it but it sounds so robotic that we only say it at night.

Back in February we talked about this and he said he'd change. But nothing's changed. I notice he is more sweet if we are apart for a few days...but anyways lately I've been very bothered by lack of physical affection outside sex. I keep telling him he should show more affection but maybe I'm not communicating enough clearly how important it is to me. I don't understand how it's so hard.

It is making me re think our relationship and I don't want to break up...but if I'm unhappy for the most part if he continues I just can't go on with this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 07:07 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Some people are very touchy-feely and others are not. I also admit I am not usually the first to say "I love you" and the day of his birthday or Valentine's Day I am usually just thinking about a gift or card. Its gotten to the point that he actually tells me what to get him.

He is pretty much the opposite. My husband likes to cuddle and hold hands and I don't; I really, really have to work hard at being receptive to those things. And I adore him! My hands sweat, I get uncomfortable or warm, I get a charlie horse in my knee, etc. Never have liked that with any man very much. I sure do enjoy hugs and kisses but long walks holding hands, or laying on the couch cuddling while watching TV just stifle me. So you will have to decide if this kind of person can be a good match for you over the long term. If you really do crave a lot of physical bonding stuff, maybe this would be a lifelong sadness of hunger and missing for you if mated to someone like me...... think hard about this because he can't help who he is.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:08 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
What happened to all the previous replies to this thread????

Old 07-24-2013, 10:03 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
Hit the gym if you're already not, grow out your hair if it's not already long and be prepared to break up with him...He's probably already actively looking for an perceived upgrade and will dump you when he finds one.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:30 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,968,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
What happened to all the previous replies to this thread????

I thought I was crazy

Old 07-24-2013, 11:46 AM

Sorry, I accidentally reposted twice. I didn't mean to

Old 07-24-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Some people are very touchy-feely and others are not. I also admit I am not usually the first to say "I love you" and the day of his birthday or Valentine's Day I am usually just thinking about a gift or card. Its gotten to the point that he actually tells me what to get him.

He is pretty much the opposite. My husband likes to cuddle and hold hands and I don't; I really, really have to work hard at being receptive to those things. And I adore him! My hands sweat, I get uncomfortable or warm, I get a charlie horse in my knee, etc. Never have liked that with any man very much. I sure do enjoy hugs and kisses but long walks holding hands, or laying on the couch cuddling while watching TV just stifle me. So you will have to decide if this kind of person can be a good match for you over the long term. If you really do crave a lot of physical bonding stuff, maybe this would be a lifelong sadness of hunger and missing for you if mated to someone like me...... think hard about this because he can't help who he is.
That's interesting. Usually it's the man that is in your role. Anyways, how does he feel about that? You not wanting affection or intiating?

Old 07-24-2013, 11:56 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle21689 View Post
That's interesting. Usually it's the man that is in your role. Anyways, how does he feel about that? You not wanting affection or intiating?
Michelle, I am sure he wishes I were more touchy feelie. But he knows I show my commitment to "us" in many ways! When he talks to me, he gets my undivided attention most of the time. When he does foolish things I don't criticize. We share a lot of laughs! I am his best friend and totally accept him -- he can tell me anything. Also, I put up with his driving.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:05 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,990,374 times
My post was one of the ones that vanished. But I have the Lazarus plugin!

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
You got past phase 1 of the relationship. That's the honeymoon phase where he's courting you with romance and affection.
Yes.

Quote:
You're going into phase 2, where one or both sides become more comfortable and the relationship becomes mundane.
The main task of phase 2 is 'negotiation'.

This is when you both stop being focused on the butterflies and start looking at what you really need in a long term relationship, and uncover possible incompatibilities.

You need affection. Maybe he needs not to be to close. Can you both respect each other's needs and try to meet them? Or are you the one doing all the bending?

Quote:
You obviously miss the "butterflies in stomach" feeling from before. .
I don't think that is necessarily true at all. Many humans have a need for ongoing, lifelong, physical affection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
simply because throughout the world, men are widely known not to show affection as much.
::laughing::

That is completely untrue. Look at middle eastern men, for example, the way they walk down the street holding hands with their guy friends.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:09 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,990,374 times
I think there is a genetic basis to the need for physical affection. (And the genes could be more common in women, or in caucasian women, I have no idea.)

I used to think there was something wrong with me, emotionally, that I need a lot of physical closeness. (I also need a lot of alone time, but that is easier to arrange!)

But then I had a livestock animal who was the same way, as is his mom. He just wants to cuddle all the time. I kept him for a pet, it was such cute behaviour. He slept cuddled up to his mom every night until he was 2 or 3 years old -- 6 months would be normal.

Anyway, he has led a charmed life, no traumas or anything. That's why I think it's genetic.

And, OP, that means it may be something you really need, not something anyone can tell you to 'get over'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships